Universal

Pulls 'Gay' Movie Trailer

10/8/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bowing to growing outrage from the likes of Anderson Cooper, Universal Pictures has decided to pull the trailer for the movie "The Dilemma" -- and replace it with a new one some time today ... Universal tells TMZ.

1008_dilema_EXD_01

The trailer in question begins with Vince Vaughn telling a room full of people, "Ladies and gentlemen, electric cars ... are gay." Sources at Universal Pictures told Deadline Hollywood's Nikki Finke they showed the trailer to gay rights groups beforehand, including GLAAD, and didn't get any negative feedback.

But after Anderson complained on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," we're told the studio folded like a cheap suit.

A rep for Universal Pictures tells TMZ, "The teaser trailer for 'The Dilemma' was not intended to cause anyone discomfort. In light of growing claims that the introduction to the trailer is insensitive, it is being replaced. A full trailer, which has been in the works for some time, will post online later today."

Now if only they can make the movie seem funny.

UPDATE: GLAAD tells TMZ they called on Universal to remove the clip from the trailer last month. A rep tells TMZ, "The use of the word ‘gay’ in this trailer as a slur is unnecessary and does nothing more than send a message of intolerance about our community to viewers."

tessa

oh good grief, this whole episode is gay, everybody just needs to get over themselves, stupid PC BS.

Eric

Being gay is wrong. No child should be told it's OK to be gay, because it is definitely NOT OK to be gay.

Eric

Doesn't Anderson Cooper bend over and allow penises in his rectum? Who cares what he thinks.

Whirligig

GLAAD needs to get over themselves. 'nuff said.

iamsuperdan

I think calling electric cars gay is more of an insult to gay people.

Maybe we should just called electric cars retarded. No wait, that's insulting to retarded people.

hmm...electric cars are jewy. No wait, that doesn't work either.

Nope. I don't think there's anything that an electric car be compared to.

Lauri

People who use the word "gay" to say something is lame are just saying it in a lame attempt to prove to their lame friends that THEY aren't gay. "I'm obviously not gay if I'm saying a bad thing is gay!!". That's why it's usually young guys who use it because they are the most likely to be insecure about people thinking they are gay. It's really sad that people have to create these artificial ways to make themselves feel superior at other people's expense. Just shows how small-minded and insecure some people are.

janja

people say stuff is gay all the time, everyday I hear it about something. I thought GAY PEOPLE didn't want to be classified as different so if your not different your not classified as gay or strait so get over it.

SL

Well..Im pissed that Gay has been turned into a slur for a Homosexual..It used to mean "Happy". How is that fair???

marcia

Um, you must not get the WB, UPN, WGN, etc. I never meant to turn this into a race issue, I simply took the liberty of providing multiple examples so I could offend everone. That is what you think, I imagine. In actuality, I brought race into this because me, as a WHITE, CHRISTIAN, HETEROSEXUAL MALE, I am supposed to feel like I've wronged everyone and I can't speak up, well you know what? I've just had it so easy, sitting on a pile of free diamonds and money (that they hand out to white males, oops, straight white males)I don't have time to bother with you minorities. Isn't it the homosexual's that want to be taken more seriously as group, just like the "minority" races? Therefore my bringing race into this is very appropriate as it is a viable comparison. I appreciate the debate, though. You lose. And by the way, why hasn't anyone mentioned that inanimate objects can't have a sexual preference one way or the other, so taking someone serious for calling a car gay? That is like calling a desk hungry, or a tv sleepy. My God I can't even beleive I'm having this conversation.

Posted at 1:22 PM on Oct 8, 2010 by sicboy13
______________________________________________________________

Coincidently, you mentioned 2 defunct networks, so no one 'get's them'. Well after reading your reply to me what's obvious is that you still haven't got a clue.

And correction: It's not just me that loses, it's society as a whole if we are to continue to be mired in racial strife. "Race is not in itself necessary - its just a social construct. IMO, we need to get educated, grow up and simply be ourselves, because how can racism exist if there's no one providing a target? As long as we continue identifying ourselves and each other black/white/etc. there will always be a target for hate and racism."

A shout out to my friend marouanep! Hope all is well.

JC

Gay people are Gay!!

Bombshell McGee: Waste of life

They made them replace it? That's gay. Hopefully they will have that cut out on the 'uncut' version.... I'll just buy that one!

Steve

I have numerous friends who are gay and they would be the first to find this funny. C'mon people, lighten up.

test

Oh you people need to stop being gay!

Bubba Ganoosh

Electric cars are gay....just like the people who drive them. But hey, live and let live.

sicboy13

Sure is whiny & gay in here. GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAYGAY GAY GAY GAY GAY

Gay.