« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Surfing Legend Andy Irons

Dead at 32

11/2/2010 7:21 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Three-time surfing world champion Andy Irons died this morning at a hotel in Dallas ... TMZ has learned.

Andy Irons death:
The 32-year-old was found by a hotel employee around 10:00 this morning.

According to reports, Irons had planned to travel back to his home in Hawaii -- but fell ill and that's why he booked his room in Dallas.

The local medical examiner tells us an official cause of death has not been determined.

The Irons family has released a statement saying, "[Andy] had reportedly been battling with dengue fever, a viral disease."

See also

1102_remembering_andy_irons_footer
More Today in TMZ History

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Dig

Katie10 ~ Y R U a h8tr? Andy Irons, did what he loved to do, surf.. RIP our hearts are with Lyndie,Axel & family...aloha!!

staybill

Lots of love and Aloha to Andy's family...a great surfer and a
wonderful guy.

really

I have to ask TMZ....Does human life matter to you and your employees at all? i hope you loose a friend and then exploit their passing.

Tony

I have served my time on the sea and will now take my place in the sky! RIP, my friend. Condolences to Lyndie, and fam.

Luda

It’s so sad to find out that such a young and really incentive person as Andy Irons passed away. May he rest in peace. Condolences to his family and friends. For those who would like to contribute to his memorial wall, please, be welcome to visit http://andyirons.people2remember.com/

DermGunner

If you would like to know what Dengue Fever is and what it did to Andy before he passed away please read: http://dermgunner.com/?p=287

JOHN

He'll be surfing in heaven 24/7...RIP. Such a loss to so many.

Garrett Andrews

Body weakened by Dengue the kid tried to get some sleep.This was not an overdose but a reaction to pharmaceuticals.Andy Irons lives on with all the respect he deserves.>>>>

andy1

its sad to loose a great guy like Andy

Michael (Biarritz)

Biarritz, Hossegor, Lacanau (France) waves and friends will miss you so much. We will miss you Andy ! You were not only a great surfer but such a loving and kind person. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family. So sad....

PS: To the person who posted at 3:46 PM on Nov 2, 2010 whose name is Kathie: "What kind of horrible person are you ? what you've been writing makes me sick, shame on you !"

Taylor Parrish

Hes up there with the other surfing gods now..catch some sick ones for me up there bra shootz!

Beacrosh

Aloha all, well lets see, some kind of Flu or Virus combined with Ambien,Xanax and Methadone [was in the Ambien bottle]...I'm very sorry and my condolences to the Irons family. I lost one of my best friends to a lethal dose of methadone and Vallium witch is pretty close to the same thing as Xanax...ie..Anxiety med. I think were gonna get a sad report from the coroner when the test results come back. I hope I'm wrong , but I doubt it..

Lynne

Aren't all these surfers hooked on meth? I heard a good number of the Mavericks surfers are...

so, whatever.

NoBreederRat

@144.

so, whatever.

----------------------

No, we are not so get your facts straight. Yeah, like Machado, another pro surfer, does his yoga on the beach then pulls out a pizzo and lights one up. Google him, kook.

So, whatever.

km

Loved watching him surf. Seemed like a beautiful man inside and out. My prayers to his wife and family during such a tragic time.