'Storm Chasers' Star Committed Suicide

11/4/2010 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Storm Chasers" just revealed one of its stars, Matt Hughes, died earlier this year -- and TMZ has learned his death was a suicide -- the result of a hanging.

Matt Hughes Storm Chaser death
At the end of last night's episode of the Discovery reality show viewers were told Hughes died in May due to complications from a fatal injury at his home in Kansas.

TMZ confirmed with Valley Center PD ... on May 14 they responded to a suicide call at Hughes' home.  According to the police report, officers concluded Matt, who was still breathing, was drinking before the suicide attempt.

We're told Matt was taken to a local hospital -- but passed away 13 days later.  The Medical Examiner's report lists "Hanging" as the cause of death.

110510_storm_chasers_tmz_tv2Last night's episode was dedicated to Matt -- and we're told Discovery has set up a memorial fund for Matt's wife and two sons.

Shawn

This proves there is no God. Because of buttheads that say "If you kill yourself...you go to Hell." If there was a God, He or She would strike you down.

xd

HOPE and TIME is all we need. Thank you Matt for letting us live your magic and joy that day! I only wish you could have found that HOPE in TIME... Man, what an impact he made. Made the mass of us who felt his magic think and react in our own particular ways but mostly he has provided us invaluable lessons. The awareness of the reality of depression and mental illness and that we should be sensitive in our relationships with love. The psychological trauma from the extreme high of that weekend of elation to the extreme low and sudden shock of (what Brent mentioned "being served divorce papers") from his wife, mother of his kids. The mind is limited in its ability to deal with shock. It changes in brain chemistry and make us lose touch with reality and how to cope. All it takes is a connection of HOPE that needs to be found in TIME before permanent damage is done. If you are depressed or in pain, just know that there are many connections and paths available to see HOPE and feel good again. You think nobody can relate but there is always someone who's been there and done that. Talk to anyone that's a good listener or is compassionate. Doctor prescribed medications do provide temporary relief of pain or anxiety that gives you TIME to heal. TIME as we all know truly heals a wounded mind. We can never know it all; therefore one can never think that all HOPE is lost. We will never be able to exhaust all resources. There is always a solution. You just have to keep looking until find it. It's easy when you have help. Feel no shame in asking for help. It's surprising to some but there are compassionate people out there... This is the impact on my thoughts that Matt has had on me this day. These memories, these feelings, these lessons learned are forever remembered for us to use and grow from. Even from TMZ and the comments posted here being good or bad, nice or mean. It makes me a better person in the end. Life is short so live it well.

Will

All you people who posted degrading comments about Matt shows you have zero respect. I have met Matt, he was a great guy, and his memory and his family do not deserve your derogatory comments. Show some respect. I hope you don't ever have to experience a family member or friend going through this experience, but maybe one day you will wake up if it ever does happen.

Peace.

KellyH.

I totally agree with Gene!! I believe God is a loving God. How awesome that he got to be inside a tornado before he died. He also got the a**hole Sean to finally listen to him. We shouldn't be judging him, our hearts should be breaking for him & his poor wife & sons. It's a shame that someone didn't see the signs. I bet Sean is really feeling guilty.

Jeff

What a coward! How selfish of him to visit such horror on his family.

suzanne

So sad that so many people on here have not an ounce of respect or compassion towards this amazing mans family. What has our worl come to that places such as this reveal the sevrets of peoples lives. This man has children and that is who you all are continuing to hurt as you write these mean hurtful things. The family has been through enough, they dont need people getitng into their lives that dont belong..

It is very obvious that many of you have no understanding of the diesese called depression, read up on it like you are on Matt maybe you can make an educated comment.

For those of us who knew what an amazing man Matt was we can consider ourselves blessed. The others who want to say hateful negative comments, most likely because they are unhappy with in their own lives evidenced by reading these stupid sights, i can only say you missed out on meeting an amazing person who hit a rough spot in his life that apparently he saw no other way out of... Dont judge its not your right..
And those who say he didnt go to Heaven, you dont nknow his heart nor have you made it up there to see....

Please pray for this family as im sure now is almost as hard as the initial shock with th way people are behaving...

RIP Matt

Scott

I can not believe some of you selfless A holes. How heartless and disgusting of those who are making fun or disgracing Matt. I do not condone suicide however, that in no way means that you get to say horrible things. There are many reasons people might commit suicide (obviously) and we (as in us who are not family... meaning almost every comment on here) have no right or business saying anything other than our sorrows. And if you don't have anything other than negative comments, do the family a favor. Shut the hell up!!! My thoughts and prayers go out to Matt and his family. I am so sorry for your loss

FrankKenStein

Dude, I hope hope u chase many awesome storms in heaven, where the tornadoes are killer and the hurricanes are to die for. Rest In Peace brother, RIP.....-T-___-T-

diogenes

"Passed away?" God, I hate that term. He died. Passed away implies he went somewhere else.

Posted at 11:50 AM on Nov 4, 2010 by Mark

I believe that we do go somewhere after death. Sorry you don't Mark

FrankKenStein

I once attempted suicide. I decided to end my misery through "Death By Throwing Myself Into a Tornado" > Problem is, I don't live in an area that has tornadoes and every time I found a live KILLER VORTEX it was over by the time I booked a flight and attempted to throw myself into the windy twister of Satan. But now by finding God and Jack Daniels....and coke.... I have learned to cope. God Bless you all and RIP

Yours Truly

**** you TMZ and **** all you hiding behind your computer talking ****

smallthings

What does it say on the hoodie he is wearing in the "This Program is dedicated to the memory of" shot?

Mike Smith

Matt's death is a horrible tragedy for all concerned.

I'm surprised by the people who doubt that storm chasing saves lives. The storm spotters/chasers play a key role in the tornado warning process. Tornado warnings save about 900 lives per year in the U.S.!

I am one of the original storm chasers. For those who would like to learn more about storm chasing, storm warnings, and everything from Category 5 hurricanes to F-5 tornadoes, I am the author of a book on the subject that has received superb reviews:

David

How very sad indeed. Another man ends his life because of a nagging woman. She should have killed herself. I don't know how she can live on knowing what she did.

me

I would like to share a nice story about Sean, Matt, and the chasers that personally affected my life.

Ever wonder why they call their vehicle the dog pound? Because last year, they rescued a puppy with the cutest ice blue eyes you've ever seen after a tornado near Ardmore. They brought that puppy on the road with them, then eventually all the way back to California with them. They saved the puppy, then the puppy saved me.

That dog is now my dog and he's the most wonderful companion in the world. I named him Stormy Blue, and every time I watch the show and hear them mention the dog pound, I look down at his face and just smile. Thank you Matt, Sean, and everyone for what you do and I will keep you in my prayers through this difficult time.