Michael Jackson's Lead Single -- 'Hold My Hand'

11/12/2010 9:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The first new Michael Jackson single will be a not-so-new duet with Akon -- a song entitled "Hold My Hand" that was originally leaked in 2008.

110101-michael-album-cover2

Epic Records/Sony Music just announced the lead single off the upcoming album "Michael" -- and "Hold My Hand" will be released this coming Monday, November 15 on michaeljackson.com.

Akon and MJ recorded the track back in 2007 ... a raw, incomplete version was eventually leaked to the public.

1112_akon_mj_small_audio2The new album will feature a total of 10 tracks -- including the controversial "Breaking News" -- when it's released December 14.

Here's the version that came out in 2008.

FlowerPower

Brilliant, it is going to be number 1, and if its true that more Michael's singing is mixed in front!!!
Roger Friedman said the following
"The track has been available for some time on YouTube. But it’s likely that the newer version will have more of Michael’s singing mixed in front instead of as background."

mj fan forever

Marvelous!!!! I can't wait!!!!!

Love you Michael with all my heart and miss you too much!!!!!!

MIDNIGHT TOKER

and if you buy before midnight tonight there are 2 bonus tracks.
a.drink my jesus juice
b.hey my nose fell off

alice

Yay can't wait for this album. And it is Michael singing on BN people. Open your ears. If you call yourself a fan of his music you would know.

alice

Great song! I am so excited for the release of this album. I hope the people who didn't believe Mike is singing on BN start to see the light. More people are actually coming around. If you use your ears and listen you know it's Michael singing. Anyway, this is good news. Yay!

Kimmy Ef

I have heard this on the internet for a while and love it. Can't wait for the new album.

JUSTICE FOR MICHAEL!!!

Lee lee

OK, so alot of us have heard it before....but it stands the test of time. I love this song. It should be given a chance, it was leaked on the internet, there for halting the initial release, however, it is a great song and with the right promotion I think it will do really well. It should !!!!

neicey

It's a cute song and I know it will be a bit hit...BUT...the song he did with Lenny Kravitz called "Another Day"..is HOTTTTTTT. I hope it's on the new album...regardless I'm going to buy it

Posted at 12:20 AM on Nov 12, 2010 by Jackie

Yep another day is on it, also a song with 50 cent.

Strunz28

I hope this one is MJ because "Breaking News" was most definitely not.

MiMi

Sony: New Michael Jackson Album Could Sell 400,000 In First Week

"By Ed Christman

While the rest of the world debated the authenticity on whether Michael Jackson's voice is actually present on the posthumous single "Breaking News," most music merchants say the controversy should stoke awareness and sales for the new album "Michael," due Dec. 14 on Epic Records.

Indeed, the debate on song quality and authenticity will likely be a moot point by Nov. 15. On that day, the Jackson website is scheduled to debut the first commercially available single from "Michael," a duet with Akon for the song "Hold My Hand," which is noticeably stronger and is clearly identifiable as Jackson. That track will be available for sale the same day at digital stores like iTunes.

Merchants hope the lead commercially available single will provide a stronger introduction to "Michael," which will carry a $10.25 wholesale cost and a $13.98 list price.The initial U.S. shipment of "Michael" is 900,000, according to retail sources. Sony is projecting first-week CD sales of 340,000 and digital album sales of 60,000. That projection is similar to debut-week sales of Jackson's album "This Is It," which sold 373,000 units in its first week and has sold 1.6 million units since its release in October 2009, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Second week projections for "Michael," are set at 280,000 units, while digital sales are expected to slip from its debut week percentage of 15% to 8%. But both of those percentages are better than the digital sales garnered by "This Is It" in its first week when the format accounted for 5.6% of total sales.

"I think people will come out to buy the album, especially with the controversy," Edge Entertainment Distribution music buyer Danny Cohen says.

Some merchants worry that the quality of the first song being streamed from Jackson's site may not inspire consumers to run out and buy the set on street date. One merchant described "Breaking News" as "an interesting choice to sell an album. It's not a good first look for the album."

Merchants say that Sony sales representatives have told them the single was chosen more because of the lyrical content as a way to herald the news about the upcoming album."

JLa

Love this song!!! I wish Escape was another one of the tracks..I guess I can still listein to it online. I love you Michael J Jackson R.I .P

Simeone

I remember listening to Akon crank call Michael Jackson around 2007. TMZ played it #hilarious

strawberry

Love it.

Orlando

Enough with releasing unfinished tracks, although this is MJ, these are not the quality production tracks that we expect from MJ. I’m sure some producer (s) tried their best… but in the end it all sounds like a weak demo that is not layered with all the richness and creativity of a REAL, MJ finished and post-produced track.

Bippy

What a talent - What a loss!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments