'Ugly Betty' Actor: I 'Killed the Demon Inside' My Mom

11/26/2010 11:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Brea -- the small-time actor who once appeared on "Ugly Betty" -- has an explanation for (allegedly) killing his mother with a sword: "I didn't kill her. I killed the demon inside her."

1123-mike-break-bn-facebook-03

In a frightening interview with the NY Daily News, from the prison ward at Bellevue Hospital, Brea explained how God came to him in his sleep and told him it was to be his last day on Earth.

He recalls how he left his apartment because a man was trying to put a curse on him, and while riding the train to Brooklyn, he explains, "I felt like Neo from 'The Matrix.' I began hearing voices and feeling powerful ... They were asking about the difference between mom and mother. It was a sign."

By the time Michael returned home he knew he was going to kill his mother.  When she asked him to pour water from a pot in which she was cooking chicken, Michael attacked her with a sword, believing a demon had taken hold of her soul.

Michael says, "I was slashing my mom and I heard the police knocking on the door yelling, 'Michael, open up, Michael, open up,' but I knew they wouldn't open the door and stop me because the spirits were protecting me ... I just kept cutting her. No one could stop me. I was doing the work of God."

Brea has been charged with 2nd degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

Alla

I think police so screwed up. They could have saved her.

shoe addict

he is clearly a paranoid schizophenic he needs meds each and everyday to function.once he gets meds he will go crazy knowing what he did to his mother. shutter island all over again, did u see the movie, discusss

Thomas Troupe

What a fool! To say yes to those impulses and kill his own mother. Now! He is done! The demon was inside him not his mother!

MIDNIGHT TOKER

like the other guy said..once he found out she wasnt making homemade stuffing..her goose was cooked,,

stumpy

Shivers. I can't imagine that woman's last moments on earth. That poor woman.

I adopted a couple a child who was taken from his mother because she thought that the kids were possessed and was threatening to kill them. So many sick people in the world.

Posted at 10:53 AM on Nov 26, 2010 by Anne
--------------------
Sometimes they do i knew a guy who went off
his meds and attacked a biker who beat him senseless
but your right too often its someone who cant defend
themselves often family members because their around
to be fixated on .

jxtr

Lock him up for the rest of his life and throw away the key.

terry

Holy crap!.. psych...How did they get to interview him?, he's a patient, and very disturbed.

mila

This guy is no different than the millions of Theist in the USA. If you believe God speaks to you, or answers your prayers, or believe in some divine spirit that makes you moral, then you are no different than this guy.

There are more people in the USA suffering from a God Delusion than ever before. How people can use their brain 90% of the day and then just shut it off when discussing religion is going to be the downfall of the USA.

No difference than Allah telling you to blow up a plane, any time you believe you are hearing things, you are delusional....

Posted at 10:00 AM on Nov 26, 2010 by T

You are speaking like a true atheist. The Bible calls you a fool. (Psalm 14:1 A fool says in his heart, there is no God) See, God is more merciful to you than you are to Him. You are only a fool, and you say He is a vicious murderer.

As much as you are trying to prove that there is no God by this man's horrific crime, you can not. God has nothing to do with it, but a man that is lost. Man committed the crime, not God. Just because he mentions God as he is killing someone does not mean that it is God's responsibility. That is as preposterous to say as it would be to blame Geronimo himself while we scream his name while falling off a cliff. Invoking God in such situations would make the man the source, not God. It is simply an impossibility.
Many people pretend or believe that they are hearing from God when they are not. That does not change anything about God. It only shows that mankind is lost and rebellious and wants to do their own thing, including the terrible things in the process. Whether you believe or not believe He IS. You did not create Him. You did not create yourself either. As a matter of fact you had nothing to do with it. Your parents had nothing to do with it. They just slept together. Your mother carried you for as long as she could and then she was forced to give you birth. You are also as powerless about your death, and so many, many other things in your life.
And yet, you boldly blame God for all the evil men do, rather than dealing with your own humanity and that of others.
It's not that easy, as you (will) find out throughout your life.
Blame mankind's religions, but not the one that claims to be who He is.
People always forget that we don't draw God to us, He draws us to Him. We are in His image not vice versa. Man's actions are a result of what we have created for ourselves, and the fact that so many innocent people die, is OUR doing not God's. We are turning a blind eye because there is not enough love in our hearts for other people and life itself. It is that simple.

irish35

This is a personal tragedy, one of a personal nature and I am praying for the young man. Most young men develop the full blown/first episode of Schizophrenia at age 18, usually between 18-25 is when it hits men, but can happen before 40. If he carried the genes for it, it was like a time bomb just waiting for the right environmental or stress related events to trigger it. It is only by the grace of God, and already knowing my loved one was predisposed, that saved my life and his. This young man's poor mother, she may have know or sensed something was wrong in the weeks or months leading up to this event, but sadly unless one of the parents suffers from it, you just may miss the signs. When this young man becomes stablized and finally comprehends what has happened, what he did under psychosis, he may try to harm himself. He will live with this the rest of his life. I pray for compassion for this man, not judgment. He will be judging himself far more harshly than any of us can.

UNBELIEVABLE

HIS ASS IS FAR FROM INSANE, HE IS AN ACTOR SO HE KNOWS JUST WHAT TO SAY TO BEAT THE SYSTEM. IT WAS MORE THEN POURING WATER FROM SOME CHICKEN THAT PROVOKED HIM TO KILL HIS MOTHER. BUT NOW THAT HE IS N CUSTODY AND KNOWS THAT HE ABOUT TO DO SOMETIME HE WANTS TO PLEAD INSANITY IN ORDER TO GET OFF. GET THE **** OUT OF HERE. I SHOULD GO KILL MY MOTHER BECAUSE I TOLD MYSELF TO DO IT AND THEN PLEAD INSANITY. THEN SEE IF I GET LABELED AS BEING MENTALLY ILL BECAUSE IMA LIE AND SAY THAT VOICES TOLD ME TO DO IT. THEM VOICES MUST HAVE ALSO TOLD HIM TO BE IN THE TV SHOW HE WAS IN AND B IN THAT MOVIE ALSO RIGHT? THIS WORLD IS PATHETIC..

irish35

After reading these posts, I am so saddened and disheartened to realize that the stigma attached to mental illness has not changed in 60 years. Unless you have actually worked in or done an internship in a locked down psych ward in a mental health hospital, and have seen the worst cases of Schizophrenia or any of the other delusional/psychotic disorders, you will not understand the horror these poor people live in in their minds.
There will always be those who stubbornly cling to their ignorance like a security blanket, refusing to believe anything outside of their own little Realm of reality. Sadly, it appears quite a few of them posted on this story.

JLS

What kind of media outlet exploits a man that is this disturbed. Do they or TMZ think we want to know these details?

We don't. No reasonable human does. It's disturbing beyond imagination.

Come on

^^^^ I am saying that he has a mental disorder but they are acting as if he just snapped out of nowhere and it simply just does not work that way. Trust me when I tell you this I KNOW exactly what having a mental disorder is all about. It just makes me mad that every time someone does something like this when they are deemed "normal" by society it is always easy to just say "he snapped" over some ridiculous reason like financial issues. Like i said in my opinion this guy is a long time sufferer of mental illness and its most likely schizophrenia.

irish35

We don't. No reasonable human does. It's disturbing beyond imagination.

Posted at 12:05 PM on Nov 26, 2010 by JLS

I agree, nothing is sacred or off limits anymore. And ignorance is alive and flourishing in America.

azlee

I can't believe that Irish and I can agree on something, but I totally agree.

Yeah, people still haven't learned and only believe what they see media put out and what is in the movies. Do you know how many have this illiness and this isn't something they would do?

I do wish, however, that anyone with delusions and reads this will take it under advisement and make sure they never get to that place in their delusions. Ask for help even if the paranoia or the voices say don't.

It's hard to do it when you are bad off, but do it.