MJ Movie Distributor Accused of Screwing Canada

12/1/2010 5:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The good people of Canada never had a chance to view the Michael Jackson documentary, "Gone Too Soon" -- and now the owners of the flick are declaring war on the distributor ... claiming he personally screwed the entire country.

1130_michael_jackson_gone_too_soon_EX

TMZ obtained a lawsuit filed by Objective Films, LLC  -- in which they claim they agreed to sell the French and Canadian distribution rights to a company headed by a guy named Pierre Turgeon for $100k back in 2009.

Objective says they got the first $50k -- but Turgeon flaked on the back half ... and then tried to back out of the deal altogether. Objective was able to get the flick distributed in France ... Canada wasn't so lucky.

In the suit, Objective claims Turgeon never really wanted to do legitimate business -- but simply used the company so he could use the affiliation with the Michael Jackson movie to inflate the stock price in his company.

Turgeon tells a different story -- saying, "The movie was bad  ... so we applied the clause (in our contract) that enabled us to not pick up the rights to the movie."

He adds, "We paid in advance in good faith $50,000 for the project  ... We plan to get back our $50,000."

mymjj5

May a like wise falling out occur between Sony and the Executors......

JR Jake

'Gone too Soon"!? Compared to what? Anybody that admixes chemicals that are NOT naturally produced within the body and not made for human consumption unless titrated for a medical procedure; is taking that 'watch out for the first step, its a doozy'. Not understanding the events surrounding Michael's demise, I do know however about drug abuse and misuse.

"Gone too Soon?" Only God can determine when the appropriate time is, when it happens little warning comes your way for the most part. All I know is I am ready whenever God makes that decision. I trust His judgment completely, man's not at all.

Jenny

I HAVE READ MOST OF HIS BOOKS AND HE'S JUST OUT TO MAKE A FAST BUCK, EVEN IF MJ WAS GAY SO WHAT, YOU DON'T THINK PEOPLE WOULD STILL LOVE HIM LIKE THEY DO. LOOK AT ALL THE OTHER STARS THAT ARE GAY, WHICH I DON'T BELIEVE HE WAS, I LIKED HIS MUSIC AND STILL DO. RIP MJ

Teresa

No this guy did Canada a favour. Not many Canadians gave a crap about his movie This Is It.

Prisme

I am also from Canada and concerning the movie of Ian Halperin I would not go see it, I read his book and it's full of lies. I am really ashame of him and also the other Canadians who said bad things concerning Michael Jackson. I am sure he is not a pedophile and STOP to say it, he had a trial and found innocent but without it, I am sure he is not pedophile, he loves children but not the way you think, it's you who are pervert and see bad things everywhere. I am really deceivee by my compatriots. I really appreciate Michael Jackson as a performer and also he is a good HUMAN BEING, and I also BELIEVE he is still alive, and I can't wait for his comeback. With this comment, I want that all people in the world don't think we not appreciate Michael Jackson in Canada. But unfortunately, like every country in the world, we have some moronds.

ALL FOR L.O.V.E.

Daphne

No, have never heard of it.

MaryRM

The Canadian connection caught my eye. Ian Halperin does the old propaganda trick - a few well-researched facts and then surrounds it with salacious unfounded gossip. His books are worthless and I would never waste part of my life seeing one of his do***entaries.

@Mark - you are probably not even Canadian. Don't you have anything better to do than spew bullying nonsense multiple times on a celebrity website? Sad.

Siggisis

Not Gone Soon Enough.

{Better Late Than Never}

Posted at 9:48 AM on Dec 1, 2010 by OhWell

OhPoof, you can´t be gone from the board soon enough!

LC4Michael

Isn't Ian Halperin the guy who thought MJ was this terrible person and that he was guilty of all allegations? He then decided after a great deal of research and investigation that he was way wrong?? He found none of the garbage to be true. Or am I getting him mixed up w/someone else? Anyone know?

Audie

That's a good thing Canada!!!
This was done by a real s*** bag!!!

Daphne

Posted at 12:46 AM on Dec 1, 2010 by King of TMZ

Sounds like MJ & the video is great. Oh, I miss MJ.

cindy

The true north strong & FREE, of Michael Jackson!! Merci, Pierre!

Daphne

And what's up TMZ? A week before the O interview with the Cascios and "MJ is alive" Teddy Riley, Levin is posting anything Michael Jackson.

TMZ/Levin's sugary sweet "MJ can do no wrong" attitude is somewhat frightening.
Doesn't that strike anyone else as a tad bit STRANGE? Makes you wonder who is whispering (aka dumping dough in the pockets)of and to Levin.

Posted at 3:45 AM on Dec 1, 2010 by Chico

This is funny.

Daphne

Is that Pierre Turgeon the ex-hockey player?

Posted at 7:47 AM on Dec 1, 2010 by MightyMad

I read that he is not the hockey player. Maybe the guy backed out cause he doesn't wanna get involved with a lawsuit from the executors. They control everything MJ.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments