David Nelson -- 'Ozzie and Harriet' Star -- Dead

1/12/2011 10:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

David Nelson who starred in one of the most popular sitcoms ever -- "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet" -- is dead at the age of 74.

David Nelson Dead

Nelson was the last surviving member of the cast.  The show, which ran from 1952 - 1966, featured David, his brother Ricky (who was also a huge singer), and parents Ozzie and Harriet.

Ricky Nelson -- who's hits include "Garden Party" and "Hello Mary Lou" and "Travelin' Man" -- died at age 45 in a plane crash in 1985.

David -- who died of complications from colon cancer -- is survived by his wife and five children.

0112_remembering_david_nelson_footer

MIDNIGHT TOKER

At # 5 Posted at 9:54 AM on Jan 12, 2011 by MIDNIGHT TOKER

WHAT are you on CRACK??? he died of complications from colon cancer he didn't kill himself your not funny your a crack pot, go away looser.

Posted at 10:53 AM on Jan 12, 2011 by Tammy
hey hey hey I smoke pot..not crack
and your a nut case..
QUIT STALKING ME YOU LOSER OR I WILL TURN YOU INTO THE tmz POLICE

maggie

I was wondering when you were going to post this. This is so upsetting since he was the last one. My condolences to his family he leaves behind. I grew up watching Ozzie & Harriet and just so upset at this news. But now they are all together again.

jmk

I never realized how much he looked like his dad!

Pistol

He was also the gorgeous muscled catcher on the flying trapeze in the Circus With The Stars events.

mary

Maybe it's just me but I think the recent pictures of David Nelson look a lot like the recent pictures of Joe Namath.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

this is dean martins love child

Olivia3100

RIP David. You were the Nelson that set my heart a'flutter as
a child! I would have enjoyed an obit that told about David rather than a rehash about his brother's life. An after thought stating survived by wife and children.
This man was an icon worthy of his own obituary.

Bebe

I enjoyed watching the show and even loved him more than Ricky. My prayers to his wife and children.

CCC

To Post #23 MIDNIGHT TOKER - I've seen your posts many times on here and it seems like you never have anything to state that has substance or heart. I'm pretty sure you just do this just to get someone to comment on your idiocy so you can shoot back with even more inane babble, so fire back. I got my idiot proof vest on.

Patricia L. Allan

Those were the days when TV was great! TV is not like it use to be anymore.....all garbage.....Ozzie and Harriet was a good show....RIP David.....my condolences to your family.....

Anita

I just found out. It's like losing a friend or family member. God Bless his family and friends.

Bette Anderson

Life was so much more innocent during the days of Ozzie & Harriet. I love to watch re-runs from that era of television to recapture some of that purity and wholesomeness. Our culture has taken a nose dive since then, unfortunately. Long live the "good guys" who we can still re-visit for a some refreshment and renewal to temporarily escape from the madness of these times.

my opinion

RIP David Nelson you will truly be missed...your television show lives on for us all to enjoy.

Stacy Harris

David Nelson was one of my earliest "celebrity crushes."

He was the largely unsung member of "America's Favorite Family" and, because he was so underrated, it is impossible to explain David's significance to those who were born after "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet" ceased production.

Nelson's dying after complications from colon cancer is hard for me to understand. Given Ozzie Nelson's death from liver cancer, which, like colon cancer is preventable, I find it hard to understand why David was not properly screened.

It's just a sad reminder that a talented entertainer has left our, much too early, while leaving not only a show biz legacy but an example of the cost of neglecting preventative measures that increase the likelihood we will be around as long as possible for those who love and depend upon us.

Stacy Harris
Publisher/Executive Editor/Media Critic
Stacy's Music Row Report

Stacy Harris

David Nelson was one of my earliest "celebrity crushes."

Nelson's dying after complications from colon cancer is hard for me to understand. Given Ozzie Nelson's death from liver cancer, which, like colon cancer, is preventable, I find it hard to understand why David was not properly screened.

It's just a sad reminder that a talented entertainer has left our midst, much too early, while leaving not only a show biz legacy but an example of the cost of neglecting preventative measures that increase the likelihood we will be around as long as possible for those who love and depend upon us.

Stacy Harris