« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NY Jets Championship Gear -- HUGE in Zambia

1/25/2011 6:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

What's bad for the NY Jets is GREAT for Zambia, Romania, Armenia, and Nicaragua -- because they're all getting free Jets gear ... that happens to contain a slight historical error.

0124_JETS_championship_ex

TMZ has learned ... the boxes and boxes of pre-printed official Jets and Bears championship apparel and towels are headed to an organization called "World Vision" -- which is dedicated to helping the less fortunate in impoverished communities worldwide.

We're told the gear will be distributed to the aforementioned countries in March -- along with the pre-made merchandise for the squad that LOSES in the Super Bowl.

FYI -- it's the second year in a row the Jets have donated their AFC championship gear to a greater cause. They're very generous.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Red

Those countrys have suffered enough! No need to make it worse for them. Nobody want's to be in a Jets shirt let alone in a 3rd world country in a Jets shirt. Where are the human rights people? This is a crime against humanity.

Jim in Cali

who wants some sorry ass Jets gear. The Jets suck. Go suck on your wifes feet Rex you fat man.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

damn I want one of those jerseys...

Maisy

Something about these types of stories always annoy me. It's like "huh..well crap... let those kids in Africa have em" Why is it these companies only feel inclined to "Donate" when there is no way to make a buck off of their product? Woo hoo tax write off!

Lilly

Actually all the t-shirts and hats are burned. None is sent out to other countries.

Snoogs

I think that donation of gear was a classy move, and I have nothing for respect for them for doing do. Tax write-off or not, it's not doing anyone any good sitting in boxes in a warehouse somewhere til the end of time.

Jason Smith

Very classy! I am no Jets fan but it is better than burning them or putting them into a dumpster. Very nice move too bad others wouldn't do that!

Kelly

I think this is great that the NFL does this.

Dan

of course they could always give Dirty Sanchez a couple of the shirts to use as a Kleenex

Bubbles The Chimp

Until they show proof of someone in these countries wearing these, no one should believe this is actually happening.

Julie

Why send the clothing over seas?? We have people right here in the united states that could use and need the clothing!! just saying..

David

Well, being one of the people to have been on the receiving end of some of these generous gifts growing up in a third-world country, I can stress enough the gratitude I felt just to be presented with such nice looking clothes.

A majority of these coutries American Football isn't that wellknown.

@Julie, the reason they are not giving the clothing out here in the USA is because the Jets were not the AFC Champions, it only makes sense to ship it off to places where people really don't pay that much attention to the game and wouldn't be able to tell that they are wearing jerseys, caps, e.t.c with the wrong information printed on them. All these people yearn for is a piece of cloth over their bodies. So, I am thankful that they have found great use for these items, because the only other option would have been to just burn them.

If anyone of you were to see the glee and happiness on the faces of the people who get this gifts....then you would understand how much it means to them just to have something that nice, how thankful, and grateful they are at getting them.

Todd J.

I'm pissed! I sponsor two kids through World Vision, and the last thing I want them wearing are JETS jerseys!!!

David

@Bubbles The Chimp, I have seen it and at one time I was one of the lucky kids to wear one of these shirts a very, very long time ago in a country called Uganda. So.....yes, I do know that it happens.

Quinn

"FYI -- it's the second year in a row the Jets have donated their AFC championship gear to a greater cause. They're very generous" - obviously the writer of this story is not a JETS fan.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments