'Top Chef' Star's Baby Daddy:

I Want Custody!

1/26/2011 1:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The baby daddy of "Top Chef" star Padma Lakshmi has filed legal papers to wrestle custody away from her ... TMZ has learned.

0125_padma_l_getty_EX
Adam Dell -- brother of the computer king -- filed papers today in a Manhattan court.  Under an out-of-court agreement, Adam has visitation rights to see his 11 month old daughter, Krishna Thea Lakshmi, 9 days a month.

That agreement, sources say,  is in effect until February 20, when Krishna turns 1.  Both Adam and Padma were discussing a custody arrangement after Krishna's birthday, but the negotiations recently fell apart.

Sources tell us ... Adam is still furious over the name Padma chose for the baby.  We're told two days after Krishna was born, Adam went to the hospital and launched into a 4-hour tirade over the name.

Adam, who had an intermittent relationship with Padma, was also complaining he was only allowed to see the baby 7 hours a week, though sources connected with Padma say she has never denied him a day of visitation.

Sources connected with Padma tell TMZ ... she feels "bullied" by Adam and wants to handle this in private, for the sake of the baby.  We're told Padma -- who is not receiving child support -- has made it clear to Adam she wants nothing to do with him other than raising the baby, and feels this is Adam's way of forcing a relationship.

noob

krishna is actually a name of god and not that uncomman of a name in india.......but........for MALES!!!!

James

Krishna isn't a bad name, I didn't even know it was a deity and thought it had a nice sound to it. I don't know why it would enrage the dad so much but whatever.

Joey

I'd complain about the name too. Why in the heck did she give her daughter a MALE Hindu name?

And whether she wants to admit it or not, she has a relationship with Adam, he is the father of her child.

Brett

I want to know what he DID to her. She apparently has not wanted him in her life from when she was still pregnant. WHY? What did he do that was so bad? I think there is more to this story... I find it very odd...

tori

It takes two to make a baby, he's the dad so he should have equal rights!!!!

kinm

why do these women want the men to pay huge $ support while at the same time, to have no/lest contact with their own child

Nena

I'de be mad at an ugly ass name like Krishna two!!!!

Craig

The "issue" with Padma naming her daughter Krishna is that it's a masculine name normally given to boys. Whether that was Adam Dell's issue with it, I don't know. I agree Padma should've gone to a sperm bank and things would've been so much easier. Not sure whether this was an "ooops, I'm pregnant" situation, or whether she used him for a baby, but obviously it's not turning out to be such a great decision.

Hahaha

Carl...Yes I think that a child who comes from two totally different nationalities should have a name that represents their uniqueness. My children are half white and half Filipino and they have names that are not one nor the other. I think that it is important to embrace the ethnicities equally. I don't think it was right of her to just name her baby an Indian name when the baby is not full Indian. If it was the other way around and the baby's name was totally "white", people would be like wtf? isn't this kid half Indian. I'm just sayin.

Posted at 11:26 PM on Jan 25, 2011 by Elizabeth

What is a "white" name Elizabeth??? quit saying stupid things. I'm black so if I decide to name my kid Krishna like Padma then I'm not fairly representing my race/ethnicity. What about people from three or four ethnic groups or nationalities. As people mentioned already Krishna is the name of a Hindu God and Padma actually included a "white" name in her kid's full name: "Thea"
We don't know much about what goes on behind close doors between Adam and Padma. From this story I can only gather that both are at fault: Adam for getting involved with a woman who is not from his culture and not being able to accept that this person will value their cultural/religious/ethnic background enough to name their kid Krishna. If he finds the name so unnaceptable then why did you get her pregnant in the first place. Quite narrow-minded, if you ask me. If you can't agree on a name you won't agree on nothing else. It's not the prettiest name around by my standard (I'm not Hindu nor from India) but at least it's not a silly fruit (apple) or an inner city ghetto (Bronx), no offence to people from the Bronx.
If A.Dell didn't go to the hospital during the child's birth and/or immediately after, then this in itself proves that he wasn't ready to be in the child's life from day one and should stop bitching. The child doesn't have his name because he wasn't there to sign on the birth certificate...
As for Padma, like people on here say, she seems to have just wanted a sperm, at least one from a rich guy and doesn't have any intention of letting him be a father to the kid despite what she says here...sad. egotistical. but again, who knows what goes on behind close doors?

Emm

#53.

Posted at 4:56 AM on Jan 26, 2011 by kinm

Read/research before inserting foot in mouth.

"Padma -- who is not receiving child support." She doesn't need his money, as Padma is well off financially.

However, she DOES want this A** to be in their daughters life. HE is making this a federal case as HE wants the whole package.

Evidently Dell doesn't take rejection easily...

Absurd

'Sugar-daddy to sugar-daddy'??? The woman is intelligent beyond measure and has HER OWN money through her MANY business ventures and endeavors. In abundance! Don't let the pretty face fool you - she has staying power all these years because she also has a BRAIN. When Adam the media whore carries his next baby himself, then he can name that one. If he's 'enraged' over Krishna having the name of a Hindu deity - highly relative to her ethnic background - then he has even more problems than anyone knows. This amounts to nothing more than his camp pandering to the gossip rags to get media exposure for what should be a PRIVATE matter - it is HE dragging his daughter through the sludge, NOT Padma. Pathetic.

antimental

Lots of racist and misogynistic people posting today. LEARN TO READ THE DAMN ARTICLE. She isn't getting any monetary support from him, and he is currently receiving visitation rights.

Also, what she named the baby is HER business, not ANYONE else, INCLUDING her baby daddy Adam Dell, since he did not even show up for the birth. I hope since he's taking this to court that he has to end up paying 1/2 his salary to the baby. Padma has her own money to get great lawyers, and I hope she rips him a new *******.

This is probably some of the worst comments I have read on TMZ. Apparently most people who post here cannot read the article, know nothing about the people involved, yet comment anyway. If a woman is involved, then even if she's a millionaire herself, she's nothing but a gold digging whore and it's always the woman's fault. It's NEVER the man's fault, and he didn't have to stick it in. Some of you need to get the **** out of your mom's basement... although I think some of you might be hiding the bodies of the hookers you've killed judging by how badly you hate women.

SUN

He seems like an As$... This woman is Indian, and the name Krishna, would be as common as Sue is to us. He should have consdiered all this, before he has a baby with this Indian woman. He will never get custody, because she seems like a good mother. Seems like this is his way of getting back at her over being rejected.

Atillathegun

Krshna may be great but it's a stupid name for a western female child.
She is just like those Hollywood idiots who give their children the most f'uped names they could come up with.
I always thought something was wrong with her but my friends were always talking about how pretty she is!!!! I never could see it and now I know why. She's an idiot, that's why she gave that kid that masculine yet androgynous name.
This is white western society Padma, that off white crap don't pass the muster. Why the hell did you look for a white guy to have a kid with instead of a Hindu if you are so hindu conscious? Hey Padma let's take a spin on things. Since your name means Lotus, how about you go around using that version instead of Padma. Let's see how long you last before the teasing get's to you.

jmk

I'd be pissed about the name, too.