'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

Jason

the suffering is over for you my friend
life is never good in the end.

Bridgieb

R.I.P. Mike Starr,you will be missed!!!

EastCoastKat

Sorry to hear this, RIP MIKE! He knew where he was going eventually, and Dr. Drew applied a band aid when major surgery was called for, but let's face it, that's all Mike would let him do. Mike was the captain of his own ship and unfortunately sometimes this is what happens with drug addicts, and some of us just know that this is how it is going to turn out but Mike did put up a gallant last fight...Goodbye Mike, maybe now you can get some peace....

kyle

and yet i find, yet i find, repeating in my head.. If I cant be my own, then I'd feel better dead..RIP

April

So sad, Love the show Celebrity Rehab and was hoping that would of helped him. RIP and prayers to his family. And to the comment about celebrity rehab, u must be stupid AJ Lind, just cause u go to rehab doesn't mean u cured. duh if u don't know what yur talking don't comment..

Curtis

RIP man. AIC is my favorite band ever. I always remember you man

busychic

R.I.P. Mike...I wished I would have met you! Alice In Chains is and always will be my favorite band.

musiciansmama

Watched Mike on CRH. So angry at first, but seemed to have surrendered. Sorry he couldn't kick it. I had a husband die from it. RIP Mike, your death may save someone life. Sending thoughts and prayers to his loved ones left behind.

Starry

Derek must be a fat, toothless, worthless bastard who has nothing in his life and envied Mike's celebrity status, for how much time he has invested into commenting on and on and on regarding the article and responding to those who question what he states. Can we bargain with God for an exchange with this complete jackass for Mike back? I'd rather have an addict than a selfish, self-important sack of **** who would mock the death of another. How high and mighty you must be to feel that you can judge the character of another based on what you've seen on a f'ing television show. Get a god damn grip, and don't piss on others mourning just because the gathering at your death wont be nearly as large or filled with grief, you insensitive, crude bastard.

JustMe

How disrespectful is that to use this forum as a spamming session?... as noted in posting 8 above. I watched the show and prayed for him. I had little doubt that he would continue with his sobriety although he did come back the season or 2 after that trying to give people hope that there is life beyond drugs even if he wasn't sober himself. He really tried. I believe he did. RIP Mike! You will never be forgotten. Mike is where he always wanted to be.

Filter2k

Its somewhat humorous.... this dude dies (and he's not even in alice and chains) and gets 600 comments. JANE RUSSELL dies, an ICON OF GENERATIONS, and you n00bs leave 13 comments.
Not to worry... go back your drooling for Charlie and Mel. Rest of us will know the world around them.

Gern Blanston

I, like Mike were very fond of sheep

fyi

to: nobodies business... i am very sorry for the lose of a man who has struggled with addiction!!! And for Dr. drew my heart goes out to him another lost soul he could not save!! :( And to you.. treatment does work for those who will work it correctly w/ professionals!! mixing your med's whatever they are is not up to the addict, that is why they are under a doc's supervision!!

Dirksgirl

My heart is hurting over the loss of a talented and gifted man. Mike, I always admired you..with Alice and Chains as well in your public struggle with addiction. Im so sorry, like your best friend your life has ended so early. My heart aches for you and your true friends..Not the fake the ones who used your addictions to promote themselves. Que Dr. Drew... Im sure now we will hear how he worried and cared for MIKE. Where were you DREW when this man died alone? Where were all his friends? I only feel sadness for Tom Seizmore who was a true friend to MIKE. rest in peace Mike. Hug your best friend..You will be missed. :(

Deb

This is aaother sad day in the world of rock! CHARLIE! I'm begging you man, don't let this happen to you! You will be missed by many Mike!

Previous 15 Comments | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments