'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

The Love Sponge

What was the final cause of death? Does anybody know? Find out you sissies!

thestones

Somebody needs to tell Charlie

Lori

Chuckles the CLOWN will use this as an excuse as to why HE shouldn't have to do Rehab...but he better take heed...this is your future SHEEN.

moe

He died of a broken spirit. You are free at last.

kkay

Rest in Peace, Mike.

So Sad.

Julie

He would have been dead awhile ago if not for Dr. Drew.

Charlie Winner

I guess he ran out of tiger blood.... Too bad he seemed like a gentle soul.

jesse

sad man sad i was really rooting for this guy and hoped for him to be a recovery story! sad rip dood!

La Mom

Oh my God :(((((((( This just breaks my heart :(((( I was really rooting for this guy here :((((. Everyday folks, Celebs, WHOEVER YOU ARE, get HELP for your addiction and fight it like there's no tomorrow dammit. Sh*T!!! I am MORTIFIED seeing these good guys not only fall from grace, but lose their lives :(((( Damn damn damn damn damn damn !!!!! R.I.P Mike Starr, your pain is over :((((( Love you.

cementmixer

Another bum bites the dust

leslie

DEREK HOW CAN YOU BE HAPPY ABOUT A DEATH? YOU DESCRIBE THOSE IN ACTIVE ADDICTION.. THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD THERE GO I!

Sonja

That sucks, guy never thought he was worth saving, too much guilt over his friends OD. Sad.

Kelly

I am truly saddened to hear the news...I really came to care about him on Celebrity Rehab. Addiction is a very difficult, lifelong battle with many stints in rehab & setbacks in recovery.
That is not Dr. Drew's fault! He is a REAL medical doctor, still in practice seeing patients and has specialized in addiction medicine for 20 years. He is the real deal.
Yep, I've been a fan of Dr. Drew's for years...he truly cares about his patients & is trying to teach others through his show what addiction is & what is needed to maintain sobriety after detox. Everyone has the resources to stay sober after detox, but you have to USE the resources to stay on track after detox. It's a LONG road to recovery...not just the 30 days of inpatient rehab, that's just the beginning.

PhilipMarkum

*** HERE IS THE EPISODE WHERE MIKE GETS KICKED OUT OF CELEBRITY REHAB:

BECAUSE HE PAINTED A BIKINI ON A GIRL HIS REHAB WAS AFFECTED.

FACE IT DR. DREW - YOUR SCHTICK IS NOT HELPING PEOPLE - YOU'RE A SICKO WHO IS EXPLOITING SICK PEOPLE WHO NEED TO BE SOMEPLACE WHERE CAMERAS ARE NOT AROUND TO PROMPT PEOPLE TO ACT BADLY WHERE THEY WILL RELAPSE.

F**K YOU, DR. DREW! ***

berrico

I hope Charlie Sheen sees this. I really like Mike - seeing him on C.R. I am shocked and wished he would have kicked the habbit. Assuming it was a drug over dose. It's really to bad - very sad.