'Celeb Rehab' Rocker Mike Starr Dead

3/8/2011 7:58 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr died in Utah ... TMZ has learned.

Mike Starr Dead

Starr appeared on the third season of "Celebrity Rehab" back in 2009 -- and was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City cops say he had 6 Xanax pills and 6 Opana (painkiller) pills when he was busted.

Starr was 44 years old.

Mike's dad tells TMZ, "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

UPDATE: Police tell us Starr's body was found in a Salt Lake City home today. Cops say they were called to the house at 1:42PM.

Story developing...

karawithak

whos this "charlie Winning" i think our favorite guy is here.
dont blow this ;)

RIP Mike. Your Finally Free Now.

KardASSian Butt

And Charlie Sheen is still alive. I'd trade Layne for Charlie Sheen if I could

Wishes

Is that a photo from 25 years ago? He certainly did not look like that nowadays. Get a current photo, TMZ!

treasure

very sad to see this...i hope jason davis and leif garrett won't be next

scott

Wow now 2 of the original members from AIC died from drugs. He was a good bassist. RIP bro!

Brian

It does NOT happen in threes.

Monica Williams

OMG!!!!!! I so sadden by this. I really hoped that he got better. He made an appearance on Celebrity Rehab 4. He looked healthy like the was getting better. My sympathy goes out to his family. I feel that Dr Drew really tired to help him. The good die young.

ksus

my condolances to his family. i was so hoping he could get past his demons......he seemed like an intelligent, sensitive, man. his death is a loss to the world.

Sonja

I swear to God if they say 'pneumonia' I'm going to throw something at my computer!

cmart

so sad. I also saw him on celeb rehab. such a shame

Grandma Cracker

Mike died of a broken heart. Now he will know that Layne forgave him....if only he could have forgiven himself. RIP, Seattle will miss you...

janet

Dr. Drew Pinksy is addicted to money.

Amanda

Dammit, unfortunately after watching Celebrity Rehab you could just see this coming. People tried to help him. It's probably wrong to say but it makes me angry. Why can't some addicts save themselves?

Tracy

OMG.. SO SAD HE REALLY WANTED TO CHANGE IM SO SAD AND IN SHOCK RIP MAN

chacha

sad. he was my old neighbor. tragic. my prayers to his family....