Elizabeth Taylor

The $11,000 Casket

3/25/2011 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Elizabeth Taylor enjoyed the finest things in life ... and she will in death ... because TMZ has learned she was buried in an $11,000 casket.

0323_elizabeth_taylor_EX_Getty_05
We're told the casket is a top of the line, traditional Jewish casket -- built entirely out of wood using a special glue ... no nails whatsoever.

According to sources,  the casket is made out of mahogany -- lined in red velvet with a matching red pillow.

Hopefully, it's comfortable.

Ketielynn

Actually 11 Grand doesn't sound outrageous to me. For me personally, yes, I couldn't afford it but Liz or other wealthy people I bet there are a lot more expensive ones out there.

Ketielynn

Rita

Regarding comment #6.

Mahagony is not grown in the United States, it's imported. With that said, it sounds beautiful and 11,000 is not expensive. Sounds like she planned her funeral and got what she wanted.

debschira

ELIZABETH TAYLOR WAS THE MOST GORGEOUS HOLLYWOOD STAR AND WILL ALWAYS REMAIN THE MOST GORGEOUS, NOT TO MENTION GENEROUS, CARING, HARD WORKING, SELFLESS, AND THE LIST GOES ON & ON. I CAN SEE THOSE EYES OF HERS ALL THE TIME, SO SO BEAUTIFUL, AND WHAT A MAGNIFICENT COLOR!!!!!!!!!!! SHE WILL BE MISSED SO MUCH, ESPECIALLY BY THE AIDS FOUNDATION. SHE WAS THEIR MOST GENEROUS FRIEND. AND I AGREE WITH WHOMEVER MENTIONED THAT TMZ SHOULD GET AN EDUCATED PERSON TO WRITE THESE KIND OF ARTICLES. THEY REFLECT YOU TMZ AND WHILE MOST OF YOUR STAFF ARE SLIGHTLY LESS INTELLIGENT THAN YOUR AVERAGE POSTER, U DO NEED TO HIRE BETTER QUALIFIED PEOPLE (ADULTS WOULD BE A NICE TOUCH) R.I.P. ELIZABETH TAYLOR, HOPE YOU AND MICHAEL HAD A GREAT REUNION!!

Minerva57

$11,000.00 casket for a legendary star like Elizabeth Taylor? Seems conservative to me. May she rest in peace.

Stacy Harris

Who said you can't take it with you?

Certainly not Elizabeth Taylor!

Stacy Harris
Publisher/Executive Editor/Media Critic
Stacy's Music Row Report

smd

She's rich...of course she's gonna get an 11,ooo dollar casket. She was also a poor role model for women.

Janet

If I was one of her children I would not have been comfortable unless she was put to rest in the luxury she had more than earned. Think about how many millions of her dollars she has and will, even after her death, continue to donate to charities and help she has given to individual people, then turn the tone of your I hope she is comfortable to a deep caring instead of tongue in cheek. I understand she is even going to donate her jewelery collection to her AIDS foundation. As for comfortable - I have NO doubt she is kicking it up with so many people she has loved and lost that her comfort is beyond measure.

Jennifer

Jeesh. Elizabeth had all of the details and costs for her services taken care of well in advance. She planned this. I think she did a fantastic blend of her faith and who she was with her choice of the casket.

Martin

Very curious, being Jewish, that admittedly her favorite holidays were
Christmas and Easter.
Hmm....

Martin

Very curious, being Jewish, that admittedly her favorite holidays were
Christmas and Easter.
Hmm....

Autumn_in_Michigan

Ok ummm sorry you don't die and they bury you the next day, sorry. that just don't happen, not even for Ms. Taylor

Posted at 12:31 AM on Mar 25, 2011 by ElfBoy

Traditionally, Jews don't practice embalming and bury their dead within 24 hours. Liz was Jewish.

NoBozo

This is completely tackless and thoughtless of TMZ.
And, disrespectful.
Shame on you Harvey and Co.

INeverLie

Only thing that doesn't make sense is the expensive casket. Jews believe in simple caskets, and a funeral isn't a time to show off wealth. Kinda of weird considering how proud she was of her faith.

Posted at 12:56 AM on Mar 25, 2011 by ArthurBach

_____________________________________
She was worth over $60...0 million, $11K is reasonable. Plus, she gave millions and raised millions for charity. Know your facts.

Howie

@lawntamersinc: "Well said #6. That's the most intelligent comment I've read on here in ages. And it was so nice to see correct spelling.

Say hi to my Dad, Elizabeth."

Posted at 5:57 AM on Mar 25, 2011 by lawntamersinc

Thanks, lawntamersinc. I appreciate your comment.

May they rest in peace.