Enrique Iglesias: My Ego Couldn't Handle Britney

3/30/2011 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Enrique Iglesias dropped out of the upcoming Britney Spears concert tour because his ego couldn't handle being her opening act ... multiple sources connected with the tour tell TMZ.

0329_enrique_iglesias_getty_ex_2

We're told lawyers and agents for Britney and Enrique were hammering out an agreement for weeks, and the terms were finessed to make Enrique appear to be a co-headliner.  We're told both sides agreed to the deal and that's why the announcement was made Tuesday.

But just hours before Britney's camp went public, Enrique was burning up the phone lines and the Internet, engaging various people connected with the tour in lengthy conversations in which he made it clear -- he was, in reality, Britney's opening act and he wanted out.

One source says the deal was actually very favorable to Enrique ... "great terms and great placement."  But we're told it all came down to taking the stage before Brit -- too much to handle.

Truth

I WAS SURPRISED THAT ENRIQUE WOULD TAKE THIS SHIETTY GIG IN THE FIRST PLACE. AT LEAST HE CAN SING - SOMEWHAT. TOO BAD THE AUDIENCE FOR A BRIT BRIT CONCERT IS ALL QUEENS, LOL. OOPS, ENRIQUE WOULD FIT RIGHT IN. HAHA. FACE IT, THE LATIN KID IS A D-LISTER THESE DAYS. NO ONE CARES FOR HIM STATESIDE. BRIT BRIT, DESPITE HER TRAVESTY OF A TALENT IS THE BIGGER DRAW. SHE HAS WAAAY MORE STUPID DERANGED STANS THAN THE LATINO TO SEE THE TRAIN WRECK CHIC LIP SYNC AND LIP DANCE. HE SHOULD BE PROUD TO GET THE CHANGE HE CAN. HE CANT GET THAT KIND OF PAPER ON HIS OWN. WHAT, IS HE GETTING 200K-300K/PER CONCERT??? IDIOT... HE SHOULD TAKE IT.

Maura

Maybe he was sick of Britney flashing her nasty roast beef? Her last photo session made me want to barf!

lori

HAHA cant believe what a f----g loser this guy really is in reality it could have made him more popular in the USA which hes not and never was BIG MISTAKE enrique!! you could have maybe been noticed? or not either way everyone now is having a good LAUGH at you! hes not worthy to be on the same stage as BRITNEY. NOW ENRIQUE IGLESIAS LOOK YOUR EGO IN THE MIRROR AT YOUR SAD PUSS AND DROWN IN YOUR SORROWS! MAYBE NOW HIS FANS WILL SEE WHAT A MESS HE IS AND WHOEVER IS WORKING FOR HIM!

Suri-susana

Britney's fans must be mental cases to think this girl has any talent. Worship someone who looks like a 2 dollar ho. I think more people are laughing at you and Shytney Smears.

CEE

I mean hate on Britney haters that is what ya'll do. No matter what you say she has the same fan base maybe more who are still going to see her live in concert. Enrique dropping out is a mistake! I mean it doesn't mean ne thing to ne body so ppl who say "i don't blame him" just shows ya'll know nothing!

Amy

Of course he would be opening for her...she is by far- the bigger star! No question. No worries, I'm sure the people going to see Britney, don't really want to see a guy singing spanish anyway.

anthonoy

lol are you kidding me he's been washed up for years and all because of his latest one hit...he think he the ****..LMAO!!!!!

justagirl

I said it one and I'll say it again, Britany has NOT evolved at ALL. Besides her loyal following, I think most people are tiring of Britany. It's the same ole same ole when it comes to her appearance and performance. Enrique is perfectly capable of headlining his on tour with his current modern hits that inspire. I don't blame him for backing out of the tour. Britany, to me, is a bore. Her success was mainly due to your "sexy image" more than her vocal talent. Case in point, a professional entertainer for over a decade should still not be lip syncing! Unless Britany can reinvent herself and adapt her music to correspond with her age, she is going to have major problems moving forward as a successful music artist.

Stop_The_Hate

really.....i don't blame him for backing off. If her latest performances are any indication of what is in store for the tour....i would run for hills too. She need to be a better live performer and her dancing was just crap. All in all horrible and she need people to show her how to really move. She can't sing so her ass better learn some moves to keep fans interested man!!

DWeaver

I think TMZ and those unnamed sources are likely overstating this. Perhaps after seeing Britney "perform" at Vegas and such, he didn't want to remain associated with the tour. While it would get him a ton of publicity, maybe he didn't see that opening for a woman who lipsyncs with doing half-hearted dance moves was something he wanted to do. I also don't think that Britney is fully healthy, and he might have wanted to back out from doing a tour for her as well simply from being savvy enough to avoid trouble. Love or hate Enrique's music, he still writes, produces, and he sings during his shows. It seems questionable to have anybody who actually sings during his/her show to watch the artist he/she is opening for fleece the fans in such a way. Honestly, I would love to see Enrique in concert someday, but I wouldn't go see Britney Spears if I was paid to. So, from my perspective, it's a good thing they're not on the same tour. Let Enrique pair with another Latin artist who can sing, and have Britney pair with another past their prime former teen idol.

Kate

At least Enrique can warble a tune!

Incognito

I think it's big to admit that. He's an established star, you don't think "Britney" when you hear his music, and he's being honest. I think it makes sense. It doesn't always have to be everyone's cup of tea.

BroRo

what a diva!

Samuel Smithers

I wonder if he has an above average penis length?

Moi

What does this say about Americans? Britney Spears? A bunch of idiots. No wonder society has gone into the toilet!