'Make-A-Wish' Kid to Barefoot C: Don't Call Us ...

3/30/2011 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten just learned a hard lesson ... late is not always better than never ... because she just got blown off by the family of a "Make-a-Wish" boy.

Barefoot Contessa

You'll recall ... Enzo -- a 6-year-old with cancer -- wanted to cook a meal with Ina, but she couldn't find the time.

After TMZ broke the story, Ina took lots of heat.  So Monday night she called Enzo's family and offered for them to come to the Food Network for a cookout.

Enzo's dad Adrian tells us ... the ship has sailed:  "I don't want to put my son through all these emotions.  We're better off just leaving everything the way it is."

As TMZ previously reported -- Enzo's new wish to swim with dolphins is already in the works, and Adrian tells us it will be fulfilled in August.

joshi

#13: I'm pretty sure Enzo did try and make an appointment...multiple times. :-(

Toro

Enzo's new wish is to swim with the dolphins. If he could coax Ina into the water, he could swim with a whale.

sobepnp

she is only doing it because she got called out for being a B!TCH if it wasn't for that she couldn't be bothered. I hope they cancel her show. I will never watch it again.

St James III

Nobody is beating up on that woman. She made her decision, live with it. That was corny of her. If i was a betting man i would bet that was the ONLY REQUEST she ever got from make-a-wish.

She couldn't fulfill that ONE request??? Please!! Aint nobody beatin up on her. That's what happens when people make crappy decisions, especially people in the public eye. You're gonna hear about it from the people.

Tommy

I just stopped my Father from making another charity gift to Make - a - Wish and hopefully he will never donate another $5000 to them again. How disgusting of that fat bitch cook...

Dan

Agree with 2&9. The family probably guaranteed their kid that Ina would do this before even asking and once she wasn't available they probably wanted to point the finger on her instead of themselves. Get over it already. I am sure if she had the time when asked she would have gladly done this as she supports many charities. I bet most of the posters on here have never even volunteered once in their lives.

lou

Enzo's wish to swim with dolphins sounds a lot more fun anyway. My best to this little boy.

kar

I think you would feel different if that was your kid that was dying, you would do anything to make a wish come true. People need to make the time to help those children instead of being to busy. Don't become a known star if your not willing to help a child.

Tammy

I'm not happy the way TMZ handled this story. The Make-A-Wish people said Ina is a supporter of their organization and was just too bust to make THIS child's wish come true. If I were her, I'd cut ties with the Make-A Wish foundation if they're gonna try and ruin people's life and career when they can't accommodate EVERY wish that comes their way.

lalli

ha ha, she deserves to get blown off. she should be called the cow contessa. now she can spend more time with her creepy husband. dolphins are more fun and nicer anyway. he'll have a much better time.

Sara

WOW...#13..That was REALLY mean. You are going to hell. I feel bad for you. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Shelly

To the people standing up for Ina, you should be ashamed. I really don't think people are beating down Ina's door for wishes. She has 1 show on Food Network and NO KIDS of her own. How busy is she? She couldn't spare 1 afternoon for a sick child? Then suddenly, when the press found out about it that's when she becomes available? Phoney.

gutsygirl

So, after the mother calls TMZ to report how mean Ina was not to grant her son's (supposed) request, the family throws it back in her face when she is made aware of it and reaches out to them?
Not.buying.it.

lou

Posted at 10:48 AM on Mar 30, 2011 by Dan

Get over it already??? The kid's dying of cancer and Ina wouldn't accommodate his wish. I know that I worked with very ill old people and always made time for them - even when it was my own time after work that I took. Ill kids and the elderly deserve to have their wishes fulfilled, if you possibly can do it.

deedee

The Contessa didn't "have to drop what she was doing". She had a whole year according to the previous article, but never made the time. Maybe she does have some phobias as people have suspected, but to go to the kid's house and bake up a batch of cookies or whatever isn't really that much to to in my opinion. Most people are just too damn selfish these days.