Sly Stallone

I'm Getting My 'Cobra' Car Back!

3/30/2011 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After 17 years apart, Sylvester Stallone will finally be reunited with the legendary classic car featured in his movie "Cobra" ... after it was stolen out of his garage back in 1994 ... TMZ has learned.

0329_sylvester_stallone_EX_TMZ_01

We broke the story -- in 2009, Sly learned his custom built 1950 Mercury was about to be auctioned off by a company that provides "on-camera vehicles" for movies.

Sly never directly accused the company of stealing his ride ... he just wanted the damn thing back -- so he filed a lawsuit to regain possession.

Now, TMZ has learned, Stallone and the company reached a settlement ... under which Sly will regain ownership of the whip ... estimated to be worth more than $250,000.

It's unclear if any money changed hands ... but who cares, Sly's getting his "Cobra" car back!!!

0330_stallone_cobra_footer

Puckett

"Why would he need to file suit?! If the car was stolen, once he knew where the car was, he should've informed the cops, who'd then confiscate it and returned it to it's rightful owner. Well, that's how it works in the world of us ordinary people.

Posted at 9:15 AM on Mar 30, 2011 by Tammy"

----

You sound rather optimistic about that. Getting a long ago stolen and retitled car returned to you, and legally in your name again, can be a real pain in the ass. I'm not surprised he let his lawyer handle it.

Just try going to big city cops sometime and tell them you've found your stolen car... that you reported stolen in 1996... and that the current owner, who now holds what appears to be valid title, and knows nothing about it being a stolen vehicle... and see how fast you get your car back and titled in your name again. You might want to hire a lawyer. and if you collected an insurance claim for the theft that further complicates the chain of ownership. If the vehicle has appreciated greatly and the insurance company gets wind of it's recovery, they may just try to assert an ownership claim to the vehicle.

D

#33, I agree. The cops can't even handle recently stolen cars.

Also the comment re: the this car needs a paint job, lol lol lol. That's not primer!

Chad Hulse

im glad he got his car back finally!! i bet hes pumped!

Superman

I agree with #1. That's one ugly car!

BTW, that ugly car is just going to sit in a garage somewhere and collect dust. So, BFD over nothing!

f015e

wtg sly, happy 4 u buddy

spyke

Oh hell as long as he doesn't get his co-star from that movie back, Brigit Neilson, scary woman. no idea how to spell her name, don't care either.

Lori

Sly Stallone -- I'm Getting My 'Cobra' Car Back!

Yea...but when is he going to get his brains back? or his "cool dude" status? Long gone buddy, long gone.

spyke

As for the bozzos calling the car ugly, their idea of classic is probably a souped up Honda Civic with giant mufflers and a big old woofer in the back. Sound like a chainsaw driving down the road.

Tammy

Posted at 9:15 AM on Mar 30, 2011 by Tammy"

----

Posted at 9:52 AM on Mar 30, 2011 by Puckett
I see your point!

egged on

That car is a bigger star than roidrock anyone who don`t lov mercs don`t know dingles about american race car history.He could flip that car for well over a million IF in fact it is the real movie car used and not a copy.How could he prove it is the real deal unless the company selling it knew it was or if they copyed it and were selling it was the movie car.Either way it is way illegal as it is a trade marked marked movie car..but anyone can copy it but they can`t own the real deal in facto or in copyright unless it is sold by the owner of the copyrights/trademarks.They could have sold a copy but they said it was the real car so they got busted with the goods selling it which could have put them in jail for a longtime but they wiggled out of jail with a payoff.Nice car not a bad movie..I would make a movie about the car if I were rocko as a reality history short and that will also drive up the worth of the car.Same as easyer ryder bike ripped off now copyed everywhere.

Yidmash

I would bet there are many many copys even when the movie was shot there was more than the ONE car.NY cobra zoo Free add space double of mamba in the juno dunes for a killroy`ss.It was all tied in years ago if the hit worked great if it didn`t cover it up.16foot black mamba setttin in the front yard davies busted for illegal import of deadly snakes.Puppets dance to corp`ss

steven katona

bravo! this all american hero gives as much as he gets and this car is a symbol of the american dream personified. sly stallone is my hero and this canadian stands on guard as i'm a big fan of all his movie! i loved rambo. give em hell sly i wanna see a youtube video of this car in action! where's tmz with the exclusive??? get on it!

gene

Wow, I saw the movie as a kid and my memory told me he had an awesome corvette; I cant for the life of me remember what that ugly jalopy did for the script. Colombo's bag of bolts was better looking than that -- and it fit his personality perfectly.. I can only guess Stallone thought it would be funny for his a*s kicking character (Yes, that would be Officer Cobretti --catchphrase: You're the diseas, I'm the cure) driving around in a crappy car. As for why he's been looking for it all these years, I can only hope it wasn't because he needed it for a Cobra remake. On the other hand, the trailers for "Cobra" were terrific, they were the "Stallone's back" ilk, and Stallone fans who had choked on the bile of Rhinestone Cowboy and those horrible "comedies" really were hoping for a return to form, had high hopes for "Cobra" that were dashed on impact. Still, I'ld watch a remake of Cobra. Foolishly perhaps, I think he's regained his touch with the Expendables. I do hope he'd get get a cool car this time though; he an give this one to Jason Strathorn or one of his underlings.

daniel gomez

will there be a Cobra 2?

John Hammond

Doesn't matter if its value is $250 or $250,000 it was stolen from the rightful owner. Gone for 17 years the car's value increased and maybe he lost future income from the theft of it. Besides we all know how the court system works innocent until proven guilty and then we have all the delays that the accused use,thus incurring more of the owners time and expense. I'd bet if it was your car stolen you would want it back and seek justise. Maybe if he gets it back he'll do a movie call it "AND JUSTISE FOR ALL".

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments