MJ Family Offended by 'A.I.' Pepsi Moment

3/31/2011 3:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Idol contestant James Durbin just tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..." and then followed that up with, "Talkin about MJs passing is too soon. Making a reference to an incident 25 years ago..not too soon. The stab was at pepsi people."

Michael Jackson
's family is offended by a comment made on "American Idol" last night by a contestant, who made light of MJ's devastating injury that triggered years of drug abuse.

Pepsi Moments
If you saw the show, James Durbin told Ryan Seacrest after his performance, "I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around -- so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a 'Pepsi moment.'"

The "Pepsi moment" is a reference to the 1984 incident where Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial, severely burning his scalp -- an injury that triggered an addiction to prescription drugs that may have ultimately taken his life.

033111_pepsi_splash_video
A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

The rep says Joe was particularly upset that producers didn't take the remark out of the West Coast feed.

ClevelandGirl

ok, it is 2011, that happened almost 27 years ago!!!! GET OVER IT ALREADY!... after almost 30 years, it is ok to make light of something.

Laurie

He was hardly making light of the MJ/Pepsi incident. Way to be over-sensitive, really. What was James Durbin like 4 or 5 years old when it happened?

kp

why don't the jackson family go find a job and pay child support. get over it, you lived of your brother all your lives and you think your important now don't think so

MoonDust

it is ridiculous for anyone to blame the pepsi commercial for his addiction to drugs. The family needs to sit down and think this through and realize he was a junkie. That poor guys is probably now gonna get the mj fans all against him.

PeopleHearWhatTheyWANT

Nobody said MJ was a saint, and no one have no right to point fun of a man getting his scalp burned severely like he did. You know how it feels to get burned on your hand? Imagine that excruciating pain on your head and skull. After burning stop you still feel a painful burning sensation. Jackson family have every right to get angry including Joe you moronic idiots. They was making fun a burned victim. Thats no joke

efnsteve

So did the Pepsi moment cause MJ to jerk off to little boys and want to molest them.. No sleepless nights here when he died...
have fun in Hell MJ

Posted at 11:53 AM on Mar 31, 2011 by Brian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ROFLMAO, now here's a guy that knows what he is talking about. Are you hearing me Marie?

steve

Haha.brian said it all

steve

Who Cares

Lisa

GIVE ME AN EFFING BREAK Must they take everything that is said as a personal attack against MJ? NOONE CARES ANYMORE

serah

oh c'mon! a. it was a comment by a 21 yo ai contestant. if it were to be made by someone oh lets say lady gaga it would be perfectly acceptable. Get over yourselves
b. it is history - everything in history repeats so rightfully so he should have been worried about it...

az_barbie66

Ahhh, it was an awful accident a very long time ago. Get over it already. Michael Jackson died bedause he abused drugs, plain and simple. I really like Jame's and thought the comment was funny.

Joseph

A injury 20 years ago dosnt lead to use of propfinol or how ever it is spelled to go to sleep.... Was he using drugs? Yes. Was he addicted? More then likly yes. But for those to say the pepsi hair fire is why he ended up dieing 20 years after the fact, could have them being sued for defamation of character by pepsi since its their product's commercial being slammed about it.

Montezuma

I was hurt while work in law enforcement, back in 2002, and I have been taking narcotic painkillers since that time. I might have become slightly dependent on the painkillers, but that would be because I am in pain, not because I am abusing said medication. No matter, I have been taking prescription painkillers for quite a long time. Regardless, I do not use my pain as an excuse to abuse painkillers, like Mr. Jackson did(and to his death).

I also do not blame my chosen profession on my injuries; I blame the criminal that hurt me. I am not happy that, at 31 years old, I am hobbling around, on a cane, but it was the hand dealt to me and I am proud that I had a chance to serve the citizens of the county I worked in, as well as the State I worked in(Georgia).

I was watching American Idol when Mr. Durbin made the comment, and I did not see anything wrong with it. I was glad to see a non-politically correct moment on that show; I would like to see more of these moments. We all make similar comments in private, so why not make them in more public arenas?

If Mr. Durbin had used the incident that caused me to become disabled, and dependent on medication to reduce pain, I would have laughed and been happy. At least someone could have fun with what happened to me.

Joe Jackson should be happy as well, because, just like me, he is completely irrelevant to the public, at large.

Kathryn

The Jackson Family need to get over this, it was an innocent comment and it is stupit to be offended by it. Get over yourselves!!

efnsteve

Jermaine stop teasing, Tito pass me a tissue.