Dennis Quaid:

I Was COKED OUT

During 'Big Easy'

4/11/2011 2:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dennis Quaid says he was so coked out of his mind during the time he was shooting "The Big Easy" back in the '80s ... he was sleeping ONE hour a night in between drug sessions.

0411_dennis_quaid_bn_tmz
Quaid spilled his guts about his cocaine addiction in the '70s and '80s to Newsweek ... calling it his "greatest mistake."

Quaid explained, "I’d wake up, snort a line, and swear I wasn’t going to do it again that day. But then 4 o’clock rolled around, and I’d be right back down the same road like a little squirrel on one of those treadmills."

Quaid says he finally realized the severity of his addiction when his band broke up ... saying, "I kind of realized I was going to be dead in five years if I didn’t change my ways. The next day I was in rehab."

In the end, Quaid says the experience helped him grow as a person -- "If I hadn’t gone through that period, I don’t know if I’d still be acting."

Kabala

He was in a band?

jb

who isn't Bangin 7gram rock out in Hollywood....

croc

well thats dennis, for sharing your story..but why did you have to?? i mean who cares..it just makes you look like a azz..so you got away with it then you told on yourself? stupid.

E

Maybe that might explain that rediculous, overbearing accent he used in the movie. I live in the Big Easy. that was so stupid. We don't sound that ,,,y'all!

Diandra

I thought The Big Easy was his best role. His acting was great while on drugs and he became dull on screen without them.

katschy

It's classy never to have done drugs; but it's also classy to take ownership of your mistakes and admit that you screwed up *and* got yourself back on track. <3 the DQ!

shelby75

Success story? Yes, I guess it is ? he did not do it alone... no where is the support of Meg Ryan included.She took on all the 'other woman' with Crowe ; which seemed to have resulted in a lost career.... Quaid remarked 'he was no angel' and left her ..All along he had a 10 yr.affair with many women and Coke , she said nothing for years and finally she did write a book and brought it all out and he cried like a baby about it, citing she should just have let it go.Yep, sounded like the marriage, but it was not about him it was about her and how she needed to heal from it. ALA-NON people! So, think what you will of him, and so will I, he should have stepped up and at the least not left her all alone to keep her mouth closed. needed to have told the truth then, not get on his high riding horse and gave her permission to tell what a horrible person he was, on her timetable.Still no thanks from the guy, she took care of the kids, worked cuz he could not, and made it look normal. Well, not knowing it all I am sure the truth lies someplace in the middle.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3