« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe

Fined $100k

'Offensive and Inexcusable'

4/13/2011 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant was just fined $100k by the NBA for his homophobic slur at the Lakers game last night.

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-7-credit-1
NBA Commissioner David Stern says, "Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. "

He continues, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated.  Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.  Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" after getting a technical foul during the game.

FYI -- according to Forbes.com, Kobe made an estimated $48 million last year in salary and endorsements.

UPDATE: A rep for the Human Rights Campaign -- an LGBT civil rights organization -- tells TMZ, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sam

Do you know how many radio and talk show hosts have gotten FIRED for saying less?

Make it stop

Well I'm offended that they fined him at all. Since I'm offended does that mean I can sue/fine this group? Seems like today you can do that w/anything, right. Give me a break!

NelsonH

To the people saying it's chump change, that's a huge fine respective to other fines in the NBA. The NBA is taking care of business here.

This is a bad situation. The gay community was extremely offended (rightly so) and Kobe's career is tarnished. I completely understand the outrage. He's a top name in sports and was directly caught on national television screaming the slur. Kobe had no business saying that awful and offensive word. But, I really don't believe Kobe is homophobic. The anger in the moment made him explode. I hope everyone can forgive him in time. It was one slip of the tongue, it wasn't a tirade in the style of Mel Gibson or Michael Richards.

jim

He is a disgusting pig.

danny

caligirl u r lame. do you really think he has to rape a girl??? r u f'ing kidding me. you *aggot!

wow wtf

Since when do people have to be charged fines for FREEDOM OF SPEECH? Was it hateful? YES. Was it a crime? NO. People need to grow thicker skin, we've all been called names and we all will be because we're human and other humans love to pick on others to make them feel bigger. It happens, GET OVER IT!!!

yogabbagabba

What does anybody know about what he actually meant by this statement. Look up the websters definition of the word ***got. You may be surprised.This seems as if the public is getting scared of homosexuals. What are we gonna be able to say or not say tomorrow? Oh, excuse me I forgot this isn't a free country any more. The media is so retarded these days oh yeah I can't say that either. But I can say the f word all day long...............................................sheer BOZOIDITY!!!!

Andrea

So he can't say "***g*#" but he can say "fu#@"???

Fair Play

So a "Human Rights Campaign" spokesman says, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

Does that include not using God's name in vain?

R.I.P.A.I.

I am now a Kobe fan. Carry on.

Jen O.

It's called Freedom of Speech, people. It's one of the things that makes America so great. Not saying what he said was right but he had every Right to say it. This is why I greatly detest Liberals. They do everything in their power to destroy that foundation on which America was founded.

lulu

effing wahh...im so sick of the gay rights groups...find something better to do than to be outraged by something every five fricken minutes...and gay used to mean happy not homosexual so maybe f**got meant something else too...never know.

Leslie♥;

All You HATERS Need To Stop Picking On Kobe♥ ! He Did It Out Of Fustration/Anger &&' He Did Say Sorry Now Shutt Up Leave Him Alone !! Everyone Makes Mistakes ! Ohkaii

Tony

So it's only Freedom of Speech unless somebody is offended? F*ck that!

I don't have to like what you say and you don't have to like what I say. We still have the right to say it no matter how stupid or offensive it is.

Gsharon 710

Yes I have posted this under another heading but I do think I need to repeat.

How can you desire so much attention of words not shouted out? You know dam well people use that word all the time and at the time most do not even be thinking seriously about what they are saying.

When we are called the N word, do you think we really belive we are worthless pieces of trash? Only media whores take the race thing to extreme.

If you really want to hear something offensive...here ya go.
A grandmother takes her five and six year olds out to eat. At a table nearby, there are a couple of gay men kissing, feeding each other, touching and giggling. So it is their business right? What if the mother of those children have not explained to them about the homosexual life. Now THAT is somethng to get offended over. These are children have parents who know when children are able to understand what goes on in our world, before they teach them that we are still to love, tolerate, and judge not.

Kobe was in a public place and yes players need to watch their mouths. If you really are offended over that but not what I posted about what children were forced to see, then perhaps you should consider spinal surgery with the insertion of a tube. Ya gotta be able to take a little pain right?? Leave this man alone or you will start a series of offensive actions performed in public by homosexuals and we don't want or need that. Have you heard of forgiveness? If not you will most certainly be aware of it in the end........