« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Apologizes to Gay Rights Group

4/13/2011 10:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant just got off the phone with the president of a gay rights organization -- and apologized for using a gay slur last night ... TMZ has learned.

0413_hrc_kobe_ex_tmz

Bryant spoke with Human Rights Campaign honcho Joe Solmonese -- who tells TMZ, "I applaud Kobe Bryant for his swift apology. We had a very sincere conversation in which he expressed his heartfelt regret for the hurt that his words caused."

Solmonese adds, "He told me that it’s never OK to degrade or tease, and that he understands how his words could unfortunately give the wrong impression that this is appropriate conduct."

"At the end of a difficult day, I applaud Kobe for coming forward and taking responsibility for his actions."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sam

Kobe Bryant is proving to the world that in America if you're rich and powerful then you are allowed to use hate speech on television promoting violence against others that are different.

john5oregon

Still don't have much respect for Bryant, but I'm glad he ultimately did the right thing.

DANA

No, Sam, it's "hearsay", not "heresay".

Posted at 6:16 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by PRO US
No it Hershey.

Posted at 6:16 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by PRO US
----------------------------------------------

@PRO US
No its Hershay.

Grumpinmcpunkkin

WTF!!!! I will say what ever to who ever and call who, what ever the f*ck I want to and if you don't like it then go cry to your mommy. Our freedom of speech is being taken from us every time you turn around. Un freakin believable!!!

Jen

The PC s*%t is out of control. Get the f&*k over it.

C

He should have been suspended. Kobe's outburst are getting more frequent and less tolerable with every game. After getting off easy in his sexual assault case, he seems to think that just because he's a good--dare I even say great--ball player, he is untouchable. Anyone notice his little temper tantrum before the words were even said? His behavior is something I would expect from a three year-old, not a grown man.

Sam

Kobe Bryant and the NBA are two organizations that the government should come down hard on for violating federal broadcasting law. Kobe Bryant and NBA should be more aware of laws against hate speech more than any other media organizations.

The FCC should be made held accountable for taking no action against Kobe Bryant and an outside investigation shoud be formed to come to investigate why the FCC has yet to fine Kobe Bryant and the NBA.

MYGRANDAMGT

Blah, Blah,Blah,,,He ONLY apologized because he had to , he still is not sorry for what he said and we all know it. STFU u big black doucehebag and pay up...Better yet..How about giving your fine money to THE GLADD orgazization....Lol...you pathetic sick loser!!!!!

Sam

Posted at 6:16 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by PRO US

horsie

Rammer

Ahhhhh...Harvey why are u compaling about what Kobe said just because you are so gay. I just seen the show @ 6 pm and you think all the guys there at TMZ care they don't care. They are only showing they care probably because you are there boss. All gay people like to dish it out but once someone says something they get all offended. Take it from behind like a real gay man that you are. hahaha

javier

I watched that game. I would personally sue him for punitive damages if I could.

ABSOLUTELY DESPICABLE. NEVER AGAIN WILL I WATCH A BASKETBALL GAME. YOU HEAR ME KOBE? NEVER!!!!!!!!

misfit

He shouldn't have to apologize to anyone!

Sam

"Human Rights Campaign honcho Joe Solmonese -- who tells TMZ, "I applaud Kobe Bryant for" using the word fa***t on television last night.

"My organization was founded souly for the purpose of allowing sports figures the oppurtunity to apologize and clear their name after breakig the law"

Joe Solmonese radio host at xeris radio.

StevenB

Where's the accepting of responsibilty?

See story directly before this one - where Bryant is appealing his fine and flat out refused to make a public apology in his own voice but fell back on the very generic, insincere one written by his publicist.

Please a $100,000 fine? To Bryant, that means as much as fining the average Joe or Jane $2.

PRO US