« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Star Hines Ward -- Handcuffed at GUNPOINT

5/5/2011 6:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Pittsburgh Steelers superstar Hines Ward was removed from a vehicle at gunpoint by LAPD officers and placed in handcuffs this morning in L.A. -- but he was NOT arrested ... TMZ has learned.

Hines Ward

The "Dancing with the Stars" contestant was a passenger in a Honda Civic around 2 AM ... when LAPD officers flipped on their lights and sirens and pulled the car over.

Law enforcement sources tell us cops had run the license plate and noticed the car had been reported stolen.  We're told police drew their weapons ... and ordered both Hines and the female driver out of the car and placed them both in handcuffs.

The female driver then explained ... SHE was the person who reported the car stolen in the first place after an incident involving a valet. But she got her car back ... and forgot to tell cops to call off the alert.

We're told the officers verified her story -- and eventually let both Hines and the driver leave without further incident.  Law enforcement sources tell us Hines was VERY cooperative and understanding about the situation.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

pegnew

@ tammy 16 minutes ago, thanks for the updated info. I was just going by the research I discovered when I ''googled''his name. I
am a Hines Ward fan, and I sure hope he wins DWS. Let's all be
sure to vote for him!!!

tammy

Pegnew Ur welcome! Yea he handled this well!

CrisDizzle

Multi million dollar athlete in a Honda Civic, are you kiddin' me!!

About time

I was thinking it was about time that the PoPo cuffed and stuffed him for working his ass off to get a stupid Disco Ball trophy, but he can't get me the Lombardi!!!!

evelyn johnson

Pls. TMZ, let us know who the hell the woman was? I really like Kym Johnson for him coz I'm following the dancing partners journey in DWTS,this report makes me jealous for Kym hehehe.....

Dwart Farquhar

CarolynAB, don't get your panties in a knot. The article said BOTH were handcuffed and didn't identify the race of the female.

CrisDizzle

The Cops thought he was Montel Williams hiding stash of weed in the car!

c

Wow, and he actually didn't cry racism! He's obviously intelligent and rational, unlike some of you morons.

tammy

yea why is the woman a big secret? He's popular too!

kbarbie

to carolynab, dont speak w/o facts hun. everybody in a "stolen car" is going to get taken out tha car forcfully cuz the police dont know if they hav ne thang to do wit it or not, he coulda ben an accessory?? tha very dumb broad he was wit could hav easily made the phone call to tha police as she did wen she reported her car stolen. glad he didnt go to the clink, cuz he gon winn dwts.

steelergirl1

HINES IS NOT MARRIED!!!!!!THEY ARE DIVORCED.

Pittsburgh Storm

People...you know he's a frequent cheater. The woman was unidentified because he wasn't supposed to be with her. Wake up.

carlos marsh

racial profiling or overreacting some here?

Rich

My man Hines, as usual, acted as a gentleman. Go Hines you are truly representative of a gentleman.

Afitz

To TMZ don't like me: Hines is divorced.

The woman was probably Kym Johnson, his dancing partner