'Grease' Star Jeff Conaway -- Dead at 60

5/27/2011 11:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Grease" star Jeff Conaway has died today ... several weeks after he was found unconscious in his L.A. area home ... TMZ has confirmed with the actor's family.

Jeff Conaway Dead

Conaway -- a notorious substance abuser -- had reportedly fallen into a coma after suffering an overdose earlier this month ... and doctors were not able to revive him.

Jeff's inner struggles became public when he appeared on "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" in 2008 and admitted to being addicted to cocaine, alcohol and painkillers.

Conaway -- who played Kenickie during the 1978 film "Grease" -- was 60 years old.

0526_jeff_conaway_footer_v2

Sondra

I remember being at the emmy awards in late 70's. Everyone was standing around outside having a drink and getting ready to go inside. I remember this actor (Jeff Conway) coming up to me and asking,"Quick, where's the bar?" I thought it was cute back then he seemed so nervous and had to have a drink. Never dreamed he was already in a lifelong struggle. May his soul be at peace. He deserves that much.

Seant

My condolences to the family. Rest in peace, Jeff.

jackie

RIP. You have to WANT RECOVERY before it works. Don't blame rehab or Dr. Drew. Took me years of white chips to make it stick. Sober now 18 years. It works if you work it.

WhatsNext

I saw him on Celebrity Rehab and it was obvious this guy wanted to continue hurting himself. Just a matter of time, he was a final stage addict.

Rachael

R.I.P. My thoughts go out to his family.

cocopuff56

@Sonya in Tx: I hope you are never touched by the ravages of addiction, it is an awful disease! In all my life I have never heard anyone say that a sick person deserved to die. You should be utterly ashamed of yourself and God help you. I am so glad I don't know you.

Chia

Sadsadsad. Rest in peace Jeff.

Sin D

he was on "taxi" also a hugely popular show when it ran but is not mentioned by large tabloid sites because they are busy photographing underage people kissing

go home!

A hickey from Kenicky is like a Hallmark card....

RIP Jeff.

Jstmli

MANY news outlets report that it was not an overdose, but complications due to pneumonia and sepsis.

Tara

wow it was really sad that he was so tortured, maybe it's better that he passed away, now he has peace. R.I.P Jeff.

lmk1979

So Sad I hope you finally found some peace Jeff. You will be missed. So many fond memories of Grease and Taxi!!

fatman929

R.I.P. Mr. Conway. So sad he could never pull out of his addiction.

Miss Marie

how sad, rest in peace

LBjim

RIP Jeff..It was horrible to watch his huge downfall..Addiction is a serious matter..