Billy Bob's Daughter -- Guilty of Infant Manslaughter

6/2/2011 9:44 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Bob Thornton's long-estranged daughter was found guilty of manslaughter in a Florida courtroom Friday in the death of a one-year-old girl who died in her care.

Billy Bob Thornton Daughter

32-year-old Amanda Brumfield was convicted of aggravated manslaughter stemming from the death of her best friend's daughter ... who she was babysitting in October 2008.

Brumfield was acquitted on charges of first degree murder and child-abuse.

Brumfield -- Thornton’s child from his first marriage to Melissa Lee Gatlin -- has claimed the little girl hit her head while trying to climb out of a playpen and died from her injuries.

But prosecutors didn't buy it -- saying the child's fractured skull and brain swelling were too severe to have been caused by a minor fall.

She's set to be sentenced in July.

Donna

What is wrong with this family? Billy Bob wears girfriends blood around his neck and now sister Amanda kills a toddler. Nice. Lock her up and throw away the key. Oh yeah, send Billy bob with her.

Violette-Blue

Bitch deserves a looong jail sentence. To kill an innocent child. If I remember correctly, it's the daughter of her best friend. Shameful! As far as her father Billy Bob Jerkoff goes. Maybe if he had spent a little time with his children. He procreates like a bunny and then just decides he doesn't want anything to do with his children. He's an f'n ahole also. Him and his daughter can go to hell!

Kenneth

@Donna - it's his daughter and just because Billy Bob is a freak doesn't mean she is. I do know that IF YOU don't pay absolute attention to toddlers - as they are curious and are going through an exploring stage - they will hurt themselves badly - mostly by falling down and hitting their head. My wife has kept children in the home for years and can testify to the dangers that lurk around every corner IF you are not paying attention. It is POSSIBLE that the child did fall and hurt itself to that degree however the court decided otherwise. Lets don't throw the whole family under the bus because of one person. Pray for all parties involved - much sorrow and sadness and lives changed forever.

artie help

good gene pool on that pompous pos, white trash liberal s***bag. she definately qualifies for an obamacare waiver

Sandra

What a mess!! Sounds like justice was served!!

Meanie

This one's probably dumb trailer trash and I don't know why I give a ****, but... it's not like infant deaths haven't been mistaken before. People have been wrongly convicted... I dunno, this one smells a little.

Rhubino

artie, are you mixing stereotypes? It's hard to follow for a non-American. I thought Liberals were elitists according to the GOP campaigning of 2009. Are they white trash too? White trash elitists? What are Republicans then? So confusing.

Tammy

This is a sad situation all around and, as it was the daughter of her BEST FRIEND, I am inclined to believe that it was an accident and justice was not served. I feel sorrow for the child whose life wa scut short, the parents who has lost their child and Amanda who will lose her freedom and have to live with what happpened.

ghfghfg

This is ANOTHER RETARDED SITUATION. THERE SHOULD BE CUSTOM MADE LAWS. NOW SHES GOING TO JAIL FOREVER CUZ A 2 YR OLD CHILD DIED. WELL, IF THE LAWS WERE MORE LENIENT, SO MANY MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE KILLING THEIR BABIES! KINDA LIKE BEATING WOMEN! THE INTENTIONAL PSYCHOS ARE LIKE LITTLE ANCHORS WHO RUIN IT FOR ALL THE ACCIDENTS BY NORMAL HUMANS!

Ginger

I didn't follow the trial but have cared for children since I was 9 years old. They DO get into things but if this baby hit it's head hard enough to kill it, it almost can't be from trying to climb out of a playpen. Someone mentioned yesterday the child might have been hurt before the sitter got there. How long after BB's daughter took over care did the child become ill? Maybe Mama was responsible. I guess the defense lawyer thought of this, right?

CelebrityGossipGirl

How can a grown woman fall and "barely bump" the back of her head (Natasha Richardson) and DIE but a baby can't die from falling from a play pen? How did Bret Michaels have all the medical scares and problems from that slight bump on the awards show, but babies that die from bumps and bruises just must have been abused? I had a sister die in infancy from a fall off a sofa... She was bruised and broken badly, it still was not neglect or abuse. JUST AN ACCIDENT!

Molly

I just don't see any motive or anything. I agree with Tammy and am also inclined to think this was an accident. So sad for the woman and mother, it's really scary to think this could happen.

croc

celeb girl has a point here..adults do die of head injuries.
so why cant a baby?, if she fell down hard and fell the 'wrong' way..it is so hard for me to beleive that she took the kid, and whacked its head on the crib bars..but at that age my daughter used to climb out, but never got hurt. thats just sad.

shiela

Terrible, but gotta say that the child had to be advanced in order to try to climb out of crib. At age one they are just getting used to balancing on their feet, cruising furniture as they would say. It to me is not impossible for the child to try to climb but I believe the child would of never made it up and over the crib. This story is too fishy for me. I feel bad for all in this situation.

SantaFeJack

I'm inclined to think the court DID look at all the possibilities, and made their decision on a lot more information than we have. Sad all around.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments