Gabrielle Union

I Tried to SHOOT My Rapist

6/7/2011 8:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Bad Boys 2" actress Gabrielle Union claims she can understand why Rihanna portrayed the killing of a rapist in her new music video ... because Gabrielle says she tried to shoot the man who raped her when she was 19-years-old.

Gabrielle Union

Union opened up about her past after watching the video for "Man Down" -- saying, "Saw 'Man Down' by @rihanna. Every victim/survivor of rape is unique, including how they THINK they'd like justice 2 be handed out."

She continued, "During my rape I tried 2 shoot my rapist, bt I missed. Over the yrs I realized tht killin my rapist would've added insult 2 injury."

"The DESIRE 2 kill someone whose abused/raped u is understandable, bt unless its self defense n the moment 2 save ur life, just ADDS 2 ur troubles #mandown."

Union -- who has talked about the experience in the past -- says her attacker was a "stranger who robbed the store I worked at. He put his gun dwn durin the rape & asked me 2 [hand] it 2 him."

Gabrielle UnionGabrielle provided a link to Oprah's radio show -- where she talks about the incident in depth.

Taunya

I don't see what the big deal is about this video. You see a whole lot more than that on any regular television movie. OAN: The video and the song wasn't all that good to me anyway.

vintagemommy

Wow...and young girls look up to R, thank goodness we don't listen to her in our house...violence to fight back violence is NOT the answer...read your Bibles people..God can do far worse and DOES...walk away and forgive...

MIDNIGHT TOKER

NightOwl 38 minutes ago
@MIDNIGHT TOKER: Consider yourself lucky that you've never been put in that position so you have no idea where she's coming from.
---------------------------------
I have no idea because as I said..what she is saying makes no sense..she is basically telling girls who are being raped that you cannot defend yourself..killing an armed man while being raped is self defense,you will not get into trouble

ret. Videographer

Two things this Rihanna ‘Man Down’ video immediately reminded me of:

1) The red colored clothing is a vivid reminder of a Haitian being shot by another Haitian; whereby, a red article of clothing was worm by the victim, murderer or one of the numerous bystanders in the streets (can‘t remember which). It was do***ented and recorded live by CBC’s Paul Hunter and his crew this year.

2) An overseas European one hour video tape from early 1990s civil war showing the transportation and calculated shooting of six young men; however, during the one hour video there is blunt inserted edited video of a young women that has nothing to do with the capture and execution of the young men from a non-connected viewer’s point of view, that is IF the television viewers were told the video is proof of ethnic cleansing. The executors filmed the it all and their video had the inserted video of a young women.

Commentary:
When media is offered or have stories brought to them about rape victims there is always the question of the victim being re-victimized just by having to relive the ordeal publicly for all to see. In some countries the victim is ostracized even if it is not their slightest fault in any way what-so-ever (old world areas of this planet). Rihanna's video is about the after thoughts of justice. But those same questions can relate to the victim of rape by the person who committed rape, if they were raised properly with a conscience; such as, the Jamican community. I known from experience that Jamicans in North America teach their children right from wrong.

[Non-related-to- video digress: There is a Turkish language film about a retired modern day world professor picking up two young innocent people, an older young male and young lady, that are trying to escape an old world life because of a rape and the…. I will not complete the sentence because it would spoil the film for those who haven’t seen it. I can’t remember the name of the Turkish film.]

ret. Videographer

Two things this Rihanna ‘Man Down’ video immediately reminded me of:

Commentary:

[Non-related-to-video digress: There is a Turkish language film about a retired modern day world professor picking up two young innocent people, an older young male and young lady, that are trying to escape an old world life because of a rape and the…. I will not complete the sentence because it would spoil the film for those who haven’t seen it. I can’t remember the name of the Turkish film.]

MEEKIE

After reading all the stupidity comments made here, I hope that neither you, your mother, or sister ever get raped. Cause Im sure you will feel like the biggest fool like the comments you made here.

jess

Union goes on and on and on about this rape incident that happened many many years ago...It really does not have a thing to do with Rhianna's video but put Unions name in the spotlight,cause she doesnt have new movies to plug and her boy toy is getting all the attention....milk that rape story honey.

Twilight

Sympathize with ANY victim as much as you want, that's a good thing. But do NOT mistake what this video shows. It does NOT show any victim shooting a suspect while that victim is in immediate danger of their life. That is justifible. But vigilante justice is not. There is NO excuse for someone to take the law into their own hands and be judge and jury about whether someone lives or dies. And to promote that by putting in her video she has done a complete disservice to those who look up to her, and buy her music. She should be called out on it. I wonder if BET would have been a bit more uncomfortable with her "artistic" license if that had been a LYNCHING instead of a shooting, made them squirm a bit or at least kick the brain cells into gear. Now I'm well aware that the vast majority (if not all) of the victims of racial lynchings were innocent compared to the rapist in her video, but we have worked too hard in this country to condemn good ole boy, wild west vigilante hanging justice to start finding it okay for anyone to take the law into their own hands. It isn't right.

Pete

Oh my god... watch out...

Dre

Can she spell?

messenger69

PLEASE!!! Shoot someone comon now we all know better then that. Your a lover not a killer.

ed

rape aside...these women are dumb. getting raped or beaten doesn't make you any smarter.

MEEKIE

I am so proud of Gabrielle Union for telling her story and supporting Rhianna. I'm also proud that she doesn't let what foolish talking people say regarding her affect her. I pray that for all the people that said something negative against gabby, their mothers, sisters or even themselves ever get raped. TRUST you will look back on what you said and believe KARMA is a BITCH!!!!!!

marlena

When I was 17, a friend and I were raped at gunpoint. I still wish to this day, that I got ahold of that gun, I would have tried to beat him half to death with it, then Id shoot him, WHY, so he doesnt rape another duh! If Gabreille thinks thats "adding insult to injury" then so be it, I call it, helping to keep people safe from rapists.

NightOwl