Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

nick

I'm gay and have No problem hearing gay jokes. What Tracy said though was not a joke. It was a rant about why he thinks homosexuality is bad/wrong. Thats an idea he subscribes to, not a joke he is telling. That Homocil sketch though was ****in, hilarious.

nick

and unless you yourself are gay there is no way for you to say its a "choice" or not. I did not choose to be gay, I was born this way and knew since I was 9-10 years old. No one chooses to be straight or gay if you could then no one would choose to live as a gay man/woman. I'd much prefer for things to be easier for me by being straight but it's not possible. I must say though, this really showed me how absolutely ******* stupid people who post on here are. I also didnt know so much of the christian right loved celebrity gossip. "Straight" men liking celebrity news!?! must be gay!

Jackmeoffski

GAYs are all PERVS and should be shot on sight!

Stay away for the innocent kids you caca eaters!!

david

He's a PIG, and not at all funny, getting all that money for being a boob!

nick

Jackmeoffski, I googled your info and says you're part of N.A.M.B.L.A. Sounds like you got some explaining to do.

coeruleo

i truly hope aids patients stab him to death. just joking. sorry.

Marie

Shane! 4 hours ago
If people don't agree with what gays do, they have the right to express it. Just like the problems gays have with straights, they have no problem expressing it without any apologies.

GAY PEOPLE HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH STRAIGHT PEOPLE. IT'S SOME STRAIGHT PEOPLE AHO ARE FREAKING OUT AND TRYING TO START A SEXUAL ORIENTATION WAR JUST LIKE HITLER STARTED A XENOPHOBIA WAR THE LAST DECADE KILLING THOUSAND OF JEWS.

Azzman

Gay jokes are funny!

nick

yes gay jokes are funny. These are not jokes though.

KnuckleDragger

This is just a simple case of freedom of speech...verses the ************ getting their feelings hurt. If comedy didn't offend someone...it wouldn't be comedy.

milton sarris

Its not a question of being funny or not, its about spewing hate. And this from a black man whose race has suffered through the years because of the same ignorance and bias that he is showing to the gay community. If this was 30 or 40 years ago and a white comedian "joked " that he would kill his son for marrying a black woman would that be funny ? And yet you have another black comedian , Chris Rock , who comes to his defense and doesn't think there is any thing wrong with what he said....where as Michael Richards was villified and ostrascised for his spewing racial remarks. There are mothers who have lost their children to suicide and hate crimes and young people growing up who are afraid to be who they are because of the stupidity and hatred of people like this dumb joker. As for his perfectly worded PR apology he can take it and shove it up his ass as he walks out the door of 30 Rock.

rcallahan71384

number 1 what ever happened to freedom of speech in this country!!! people are just to soft and wanna make an issue about everything.. this stuff is just like a tv show you dont wanna watch so what do you do change the channel.. same concept if you dont like what someone says the stop being a cry baby just dont listen.. people just like to make problems.. i agree with morgan completely thats his opinion on HIS family not nobody elses so why do these people care..

AtlantaBlue

If you really want to make a difference, don't bitch about it on TMZ, call or write your local affiliate. They are the people who buy 30 Rock to put on your local airwaves. That's where change is affected.

Alex

Is not about the fact that he said something funny about gay people, is the fact that his comments were very hateful and put in danger gay people by promoting those sickos around the country to kill them! that's the difference between a joke and a serious remark or comment. He should be a man and he should be fired from every project he might have or will get. Is just like anybody who says the word "N" in a joke, i bet we will have Sharpton bitching and screaming out loud to get that comedian fired!! is now the time to be fair!! he should be man and face the consequences of his comments!! Shame on you!! you bastard!!

joseph west

Gay men do not lisp u idiot. why is you are always sorry when you get busted ?? & if some one makes fun of the N word the world comes to a stop. how do you spell double standard ?