Missy Elliott: I Have Graves' Disease

6/23/2011 7:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Missy Elliott just announced she has Graves' disease -- an incurable autoimmune condition affecting her thyroid.

Missy Elliott Graves Disease

Elliott tells People, she was diagnosed with the disease in 2008 -- and has been receiving radiation treatment to help alleviate symptoms like dizzy spells, lumps in her throat, mood swings, hair loss, and bulging eyes. Missy adds, "You live with it for the rest of your life."

According to Missy, the radiation was a help, but other medication made her pack on the pounds -- which she's been able to counter through exercise.

The disease isn't fatal -- and after treatment, Missy claims things couldn't be going better, "My thyroid is functioning, so I haven't had to take medication in about nine months."

AndUKnowThisMan

Dang! She looks like star Jones in this pic!!

Sin D

Very sad..I always liked her wacky vids, seems like she has a sweet sense of humor..get better babe.

Sin D

And while I am here...would you cowards TYPING the mean things SAY them to her face? No. So quit it.

noneofyourbusiness

Hang in there Missy! Would LOVE to see you back in the game.

So sad there are so many hateful b^tches........

croc

barbra bush has this also.
your eyes buldge out and they stay that way.
other problems go along with this disease.

Woot

Aw, I'm sorry, Missy. You're a strong woman who WILL endure your challenges. Thank you for sharing and best of everything to you.

LOVE your work, btw!

sane

And we care WHY? My mom has had it for 15 years and she is 81 Live with it oh yeah I have cramps There I just announce it

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

I was treated for Graves when I was a teenager, you guys are making it out to be worse than it is. Drinking radioactive iodine is no more traumatic than drinking a spoonful of funky water.

Barbara

I have had thyroid problems since the 70's. It gives you a life time of yo-yo function. Blood tests every year and changing of doses of synthroid. Grow hair, lose hair, gain weight, lose weight.

Tracy

I was diagnosed with Grave's disease when I was 6 years old in the 70's. I had a radiation treatment and will now be on synthroid for the rest of my life. She's fortunate that no longer has to take meds.

Nancy

My husband was diagnosed with Graves disease & ended up having to have his thyroid surgically removed. You can live a long happy life with this disease so long as you have treatment. The only problem would be if he couldn't get his medication. You cannot live without some type of thyroid hormone in your body.

Cass

I've got Graves Disease, too, not a big deal AT ALL!

sav

Too late on the bulging eyes!
&
There's more reasons than this to explain her 'lack of celebrity' since she had 3 horrible 'hits' whenever that was...the triassic period.

ashley

to the people who make remarks about her career being over, the disease making her ugly, etc. what the f happened to you to make you so cruel and bitter? where did your mother go wrong in teaching you the manners the rest of us learned in pre k? have some respect or don't type anything at all...

Truth

DAMN AND I ALWAYS THOUGHT SHE JUST LOOKED FUGLY. NOW SHE LOOKS FUGLIER. UM, OK... NEXT.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments