Mackenzie Phillips -- Addiction Counselor

6/26/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Celebrity Rehab" alum Mackenzie Phillips is in the process of becoming a certified drug and alcohol rehabilitation counselor ... TMZ has learned.

0624_phillips_ex_1

Sources connected to the actress tell us ... Phillips -- who famously struggled with substance abuse for years --- is roughly half-way through a certification program and hopes to use her experience to help struggling addicts acknowledge and defeat their demons.

We're told Mackenzie's progress will be captured for a new reality show called "No Relapse" produced by powerhouse reality company 44 Blue ... and sources connected to the project tell us the show is already getting, "Strong interest from multiple networks."

Cujeaux

@Fred Farkel: She does seem like a genuinely nice person. After seeing her on Celebrity Rehab I thought she would go in this direction. She'll be good at it and seems to have the energy it takes. I doubt there will be any more CR's which is disappointing. That show was pure entertainment. People gave Dr. Drew sh*t all of the time because he didn't perform miracles so he walked away. I don't blame him. Working with addicts all day/every day must suck.

debschira

@BTTY AND GINGER, BOY U TWO SHOULD GET TOGETHER, SPEW THAT VENOM ON EACH OTHER, RATHER THAN THE SWEET LOVABLE MAC. IT TOOK HER A LONG TIME TO GET CLEAN AND AN EVEN LONGER TIME TO ADMIT SHE HAD A PROBLEM! I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT SHE WENT THROUGH AND STILL GOES THROUGH FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE. MOST OF YOU ON HERE HAVE POSTED SWEET WONDERFUL THINGS. BUT I HAVE NOTICED THAT THERE ARE THOSE WHO RELISH IN RUBBING PAST MISTAKES IN MAC'S FACE, THE LAST THING SHE NEEDS. SO I'M JUST GONNA READ YOU ALL'S POSITIVE COMMENTS (AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL TEN FOLD!!) GOOD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE, GOD WILL SEE TO THAT. IF YOUR ONE OF THE ONES POSTING NASTY COMMENTS, I'D LOOK UNDERNEATH YOUR BED BEFORE YOU GO TO SLEEP TONIGHT, CAUSE THAT'S WHERE SATAN WAITS SO HE CAN SLIP UP ONTO YOUR BED AND HAVE THAT "GOOD JOB MY LITTLE SATANITE! TALK WITH YOU, THEN AS YOU SLEEP, THOSE HORRIFIC "IN THE MOVIES ONLY" DREAMS WILL START. BOO HA HA BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,GONNA GET CHA WHILE YOUR SLEEPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

debschira

TO WHOMEVER BELIEVES MAC IS DOING THE REALITY SHOW FOR THE $$$$$$$$$$ WELL? SO WHAT? IS HAVING A JOB A CRIME NOW? GETTING PAID TO TALK ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES TO HELL AND BACK IS WRONG? THINK NOT LITTLE MIND(S) HER GETTING PAID FOR DOING A JOB LIKE THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENT THAT DR. PHIL AND HIS "SHOW". AT LEAST SHE CAN GIVE ADVICE ON EXPERIENCES, WHEREINS DR. PHIL DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING BOUT MOST OF THE TIME (I BELIEVE HE IS A GLORIFIED MARRIAGE COUNSELOR?) WELL, NUFF SAID. GREAT DAY TO ALL.

debschira

HEY AUGUST, BITTER BUTTER BECAUSE BOYFRIEND BOUGHT BOB BETTER BALLS?? YES, I WOULD LET HER BABYSIT MY CHILDREN AND MY HUSBAND!! ADDICTS I TRUST CAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THEM, PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO LIE AND LIE AND THEN MAKE UP LIES, I DON'T TRUST. AND I AM PROOF THAT WE ALCOHOLICS (AND ADDICTS) DO GET HIRED, EVEN WHEN YOU TELL THE POTENTIAL EMPLOYER THAT YOU ARE IN YOUR FIRST 30 DAYS OF SOBRIETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY STILL HIRED ME, WHY? BECAUSE I WAS H O N E S T!!! THEY SAID THAT THEY TOTALLY APPRECIATED THAT IN AN EMPLOYEE (BEST QUALITY I BELIEVE) AND MY INTERVIEWER/BOSS SAID THAT HE ALSO WAS A RECOVERING METH ADDICT!!! HOW'S THAT FOR YOU AND THE CROW YOU'LL BE EATING FOR AWHILE TO COME HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?????????? TEE HEE ROTFLMFAO..........BUH BYE!

lala

She looks better now than she looked on One Day At A Time, she was too thin back then and something wasn't right, I don't know much about her life to know whether she was using drugs then, but I really respect how shes come forward with what happened in her childhood. She was incredibly brave and honest.

Fernanda

I don't want to sound jugdmental, but I think she needs to put herself more together, she needs to work with her more time before been a counselor...recovery takes time and work...I have been sober for 10 years...

nof

@Ginger 14 hours ago
There are lots of obstetricians who have never had babies (men.) I trusted them to deliver mine. I don't know if this is just another bid for attention since the 'incest' thing didn't fly or if she's serious. If she is serious, then good for her. And don't tell me I'm blaming the victim if the incest is true. Sleeping with your dad for 10 years after you're grown isn't rape. It's consensual sex. IF it even happened.

_______________________________

Sounds like you have some jealousy issues, Ginger baby.

Nof

nof

@August 4 hours ago
A lot of addicts become drug and alcohol counselors BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL HIRE THEM....

Come on...Would you take your child to be babysat by this woman at a daycare center?
_______________________________________________

Um, she's a drug and alcohol counselor dude, she's not babysitting 3 year olds what are you smoking.

@August 29 minutes ago
Hey debschira, Sounds like YOU'RE A MEAN,NASTY, and BITTER DRY DRUNK; What? No One-Day-at-a-Time Magic Dust sprinkled on you today by the 12-Step Religious Cult's "Higher Power": add me to your very long list of people you have to make amends to.

BTW Everyone knows.... Once a Drunk Always a Drunk
____________________________________________________

In your case, maybe, August...

But let's be honest you're not exactly Yoda ...are you.

Everyones~A~Star

She has come a long way. If I had endured what she endured my mind would snap, I can hardly comprehend it. Hope she stays clean and finds peace.

burning_plastic

This is sick. She wants to ask people to trust her and work on their issues and her motivation is being on a reality show? I'd have a hard time trusting her with a problem.

Cujeaux

@ Ginger: I don't think she claimed it was rape or incest. Apparently the first time it happened she was passed out on heroin and woke up in the act. As disgusting as it is, her father had been grooming her for that from the time she was a child.

I haven't read her book but in it she talks about having sex with Mick Jagger when she was 18, right under her father's nose. The pig told her he had been waiting for it for years.
I think her father shot her up in order to do what he did. He knew it would make her dependent on him and I'm pretty sure the sex would occur after he gave her a fix. She was probably suffering from drug induced psychosis when it was going on and PTSD after it was over, which caused her to relapse.

Too bad her father's death didn't happen sooner. It allowed her to write the book which caused her to finally let go of the hero worship. Who gives a F* if that POS isn't around to defend himself? It took a lot of guts to tell that story, esp. admitting to the fact that it happened when she was an adult. Her ability to articulate it in an honest way has been inspirational to other addicts. She will have some cred with addicts suffering from PTSD who haven't come to terms with their past.

Kathy

Good for her. She's taken a negative in her life and is making it into a positive to help someone else. She deserves a lot of credit. I hope she is proud of herself...she should be.

John

Good for her! She deserves a break. If I was on drugs she's one person who could snap me out of it.

Glory Bee

Good on getting certification, bad on doing it on t.v. slippery slope kiddo

JC

I here she is the spokesperson for INTERCOAST COLLEGE. It's a great school to become a Drug and Alcohol Counselor.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments