Rapper Xzibit: 'Planking' Is RACIST!!!

7/8/2011 9:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's the latest craze taking over the Internet -- lying face down in bizarre places, stiff as wood -- but rapper Xzibit is leading a new charge AGAINST "planking" ... claiming the practice has RACIST roots.

Planking Photos

Xzibit took to his Twitter recently, claiming, "Planking is THE dumbest sh*t ever. Planking was a way to transport slaves on ships during the slave trade, its not funny. Educate yourselves."

The rapper adds, "Dont get it twisted. I care less where your dumb asses lay face down and take pictures of the sh*t, I'm just telling you where it came from."

It's all probably news to Katy Perry, Demi Moore, Rosario Dawson (above), Chris Brown, and Justin Bieber -- who have ALL posted pics of themselves online ... looking board.

So we gotta ask ...

UPDATE:  Xzibit just tweeted re: TMZ:  "Wow.  They are trying to make me the Al Sharpton of planking.  #news?"

UPDATE:  From TMZ:  Yes, Al, news.

0708_planking_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
TMZfan10000 TMZfan10000

Hitler scratched his ass Stalin scratched his ass Mao scratched his ass Scratching your ass means that you are a murderous dictator.

Julai Julai

He is correct that they used this positioning during slave transport but it included the wrists being shackled to the waist and usually multiple layers. I've seen Wil E. Coyote and Tom from Tom and Jerry use this gag positioning in cartoons but I never heard anyone cry "RACISM" for those planksters. Just stop crippling yourself with these victimizations and get on with your lives people.

Anon Anon

Who cares if it's racist! People should care more about the fact that this is the dumbest thing in the recorded history of man!

tmz-top-comments-banner
TMZfan10000 TMZfan10000

Julai Julai

Anon Anon

Kathy Kathy

I am sure everything is offensive if we really research it. LIGHTEN UP!!!!

Bradd01 Bradd01

I guess sleeping on your stomach is racist too...

Jennyy Jennyy

Xzibit may be right about where the term came from so many years ago however, there are no racial motives for the people now doing it all over the world. The goofy activity called "planking" started in Europe. The impression I get is that the idea is to be able to do it it really unusual places.

courtney

He says planking is racist yet he still uses the N-word. Get over yourself

Mr.McNasty

it actually originated in australia but whatev

Dndlion49

I just did the research, and there is no such article that I was able to find that stated that "planking" had origins in the slave trade. Although how one could find the origins of one lying face down is beyond me... where there photographers in the stone age? Apparently there are people who have laid claim to it's inception though, that originate in Australia. It makes me curious, did YOU do any research Xibit? Or was this just a response to something your were told?

Jennyy

hotbitch

Planking is STUPID. The whole racist argument is coming from some moron spreading this b.s. on facebook. Add to that the ignorant fools who can't think for themselves and suddenly, because someone else said so, planking is tied to slavery. I guess S&M is racist too since it involves whips???? GTFOH.
And I'm black!

SherowSwagg

I bet if Jews were planked in holocaust camps before being excecuted people would feel different...it has a racist background wether you wanna admit it or not. How can some people say get over it? like kanye said " racism still alive they just be concealing it"

SaraBellum

What an attention whore. Either that or he's simply just not that smart. He's claiming racist intent on the part of the idiots doing this "planking" thing when I'm willing to bet 99.999% of them have never even heard of the historical significance he's attaching to the modern day practice.

Does he also think the current fashion trend for men to shave their heads is antisemitic because Nazis shaved Jewish heads in the death camps?

Abercrombie

Rosario Dawson is hot. She can do whatever she wants, including planking even if it is racist. Heck, I'd like her to "plank" me.

FreakHater

Well, I've surfed the net and I can't find anything that says anything about slavery, So, why does everything always have to be about the blacks and slavery!!!! I have the opinion that most black ppl are the racist ones, they are always the first to say it!!! Get over yourselves!!!

Julie

ya'll were late on this story. xzibit wasn't the first black celeb saying this.

TheMarshmallowMan

I don't get it? Can someone explain what this planking is and why does it look like the dumbest **** I have ever seen?

Paulie

This guy is such an as s, living in the past and crying over how the black folks used to be treated...hey buddy, we can't change what our ancestors did and we already feel bad about HISTORY, you have equal rights plus a lot more benefits than the white folk now, celebrate how far you've come and move the fu@@ on already! There's nobody out there trying to throw the slavery thing in your face other than racist black people who look for it in every little thing with their double standards. Our "white" past still follows us more than it follows your color, you've gotten everything and still hold that slavery bs over our heads, we can't even use the same lingo as you because when we do, it's racist. We can't celebrate our color at all, cuz it's racist. But you can have a full month dedicated to your history, you get a channel dedicated to people of colour plus an award show. If we had a white only award show all hell would break loose, we welcome you into our world but you don't show the same respect back, and then call white people racist.
I could go on and on.....

ian

planking was originally called the lying down game and started in the uk by a man called gary clarkson, when he was yonger he use to ask people for the time and when they looked up from their watch he would be lying face down on the floor just to see what there reaction was. Later on other places in the world picked up the craze and renamed it. If you need to speak to the creator just look here

ian

Marty

Oh no, I am a racist? Every night I plank, just before I fall asleep. I am so glad he told me I am racist so I can try not to be anymore. (Wiping a tear from my eye)