« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

USC Suspends RB Marc Tyler Over TMZ Video

7/18/2011 12:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

USC running back Marc Tyler has been suspended by head coach Lane Kiffin for comments he made to TMZ last week in which he insinuated the university PAYS its football players.

0718_lane_marc_BN

Tyler insists he was "joking" outside of Voyeur nightclub in Hollywood Thursday night when he told our cameras, "USC ... they breakin' bread!"

Kiffin just released a statement saying, "I was very disappointed when I learned of Marc Tyler's inappropriate comments that were captured by the media last week. That is not the way that we expect our players to represent USC and our team."

He added, "I have consulted with athletic director Pat Haden and I am suspending Marc for our upcoming season opener and potentially further, and in the meantime I am also suspending him from all team activities.071811_marc_tyler_v3_still"

"Although Marc may find this punishment severe, it is imperative we continue to have a high standard for player behavior.  Marc needs to work hard to show us that he can meet the standards of being a USC football player."

We spoke to Lane Kiffin last night in L.A. -- but he had no comment.

Tyler has also issued an apology ... saying, "I am disappointed that I let down all the people who have supported me as I have been working through some personal issues."

He continued, "I realize how my behavior and my statements, even though I was joking, can reflect poorly on so many people ... I accept my punishment and I regret that I will miss the opening game of my senior year. "

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

govols

I agree with all the people that say who is Lane Kiffin to have any standards? I feel sorry for any team that has that d bag as a coach!

kitnplayn

Yeah, he's "working through some personal issues" by using alcohol. Sounds like alcohol IS your personal issue.

Sandra

Inappropriate comments with swift consequences!!Learning to shut would be a good thing!!

Conservatives are Cowards

LOL @ "working through some issues."

The rest of us call it "growing up and learning from your mistakes." You're dumb. You're immature. Most kids, and especially athletes who have rarely been accountable for much, your age are, and those traits get embellished when you are drinking.

Just pay your dues, shut your mouth and get on with your life.

Oh kids...they say the darndest things!

MightyMad: Your comment MIGHT be relevant if Tyler had a RIGHT to play football. However, being that playing collegiate football is a privilege, and one which I would suspect he agreed to a code of conduct to partake in, your comment is completely irrelevant because you are wrong. People sign contracts all the time that require them to forgo certain rights that they may otherwise enjoy. Don't like it? Don't sign the contract and don't partake in the activity. It amazes me how much some people just don't get it.

en Todo Momento!!

he a football player? just axing...

justme

@MightyMad so a drunk person decided...let's play a joke and say silly things to the camera...

The Truth

HOW STUPID IS USC AND LANE

The young man makes a joke.

USC and Lane suspend him for it, for making a joke.

USC and Lane do not claim his comments are not true.

USC does not suspend him for being under aged and drinking, coming out of a club.

USC instead suspends him for making a joke.

USC has 71 recruiting violations, 114 paying player violations, 29 sexual assaults’, 54 DUII by players 9 by coaches and Lane has his own DUII and recruiting issues.

GEE a joke gets him suspended. So it’s ok to drink by USC standards and be drunk in public as long as you don’t make a joke.

USC is the BUTT of this JOKE.

The Truth

Stupid People Hater

You can't screw around with this...

ginny

or USC period, what bs, he sucks!!

HARRY NIPPLES, Jr.

USC suspends any student athlete who lets the truth slip out. Let this be a lesson to the other professionals who are getting paid to play "amateur" sports... do not bite the hand that writes your check.

The Neko Nation

Nice to see USC taking control of the program and some of the uneducated fools they recruit. This moron is only there because of football and has the intelligence of a flea. Just listen to the way this 2nd. grade level punk talks and you can see he has the mind of a child. There are foreigners who can speak and use the english language better than this goofball.

CCC

None of their athletes are getting paid. USC has to be careful with what their kids have to say, even in jest. After what they went through because of payouts to some atheletes, losing championships and trophys and possible future championships, there is no way any player is getting favors. Not a big fan of Kippens, but he is the only coach they have for now so we USC fans just have to deal with it.

roll3567

thanks for breaking it down for us crackers. i would have never known what he was talking about.

anony

NOT the time.
USC has NO sense of humor about this now.

Teresa

What? Lane Kiffin may have done something not so legal? Imagine that. Would someone please find something on that piece of work? The Tennessee fans would love it

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments