« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

GB Packers Stud

Gets Super Bowl Ring

TATTOO

7/20/2011 1:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Most NFL champs rock their Super Bowl ring on their hand -- Green Bay Packers cornerback Sam Shields is wearing his on his NECK.

0720-green-bay-tattoo-exd
The 23-year-old defensive stud -- who was a rookie when the Packers won the Super Bowl this year -- rolled into the Ultimate Designz tattoo shop in Miami last week ... and pitched his ink idea to tattoo artist Sergio Garcia. He even brought in the ACTUAL ring for Sergio to study.

0720-green-bay-tattoo-sub

Sergio tells us it took about 3 hours to draw out the design of the tat (pictured above) -- and a little more than 2 hours to ink it onto Sam.

We're told Shields was a "really nice guy" throughout the whole process -- and even left a fat tip.

Fun Fact: Sam's actual Super Bowl ring has 109 diamonds in it, but his tattoo ONLY has 60 pictured ... because we're told putting that many small diamonds in the tattoo would have been "impossible."

0915_tattoo_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Chef Jack Tripper

Unfan me please, you are a ray of sunshine in this crappy tattoo wearin' scene. If I were a that type of person, I would get yout name tattooed on my bicep, but Im not because I know better about tattoos. May your skin remain lame tattoo free forever.

Chaos

If i would have got da tattoo it would not be on my neck it would be some were i could cover it up if i happened to get traded to another team....

Jackie

Great question Rob. And you can see how many celebs idiots prove how Americans stupid are.

Hench

I guess the ring just wasn't enough..this is how he plans to get the ladies down the road..he'll be sporting that tattoo as the pick up line.."Yo baby, check it out, I was in a SuperBowl 40 yrs ago"

some guy

@TMZ

Could you post a pic of Sam smacking himself in the forehead when he realizes how dumb getting this tattoo was? Thinking that'll take a couple years.

Was this guy drunk when he got this tattoo? Or on crack?

some guy

Ugh... can't wait for this guy to retire from the NFL and end up door-to-door selling aluminum siding.

Should've spent the tattoo money on strip bars. That would've been a smarter investment.

some guy

I'm thinking that when this guy goes to prison, his new boyfriends will really appreciate the tattoo.

Can't wait for the "Lockup - Celebrity Edition" episode. When's that coming up?

Nope

I like it. Nice artwork. The Packers achieved something rare and wonderful so why not memorialize it however you want. Apparently it's on his body. So who cares? It's his body!

some guy

Dumbass... he couldn't find a better spot than his neck for a tattoo?

Why not save everyone the suspense and just tell us which gang he's affiliated with.

Trisha

I like the design of the tat itself, not too in to where it was placed. Shoulder or arm might have been better. All my tats are in places where, if I don't want them to be seen, they aren't.

MJ

What an idiot.

A.M.D

STUPID!

FO REAL

GOOD LUCK FINDING A JOB AFER YOUR TOO OLD TO PLAY FOOTBALL....WOULDNT THE ARM HAVE BEEN A BETTER PLACE FOR THAT?

some guy

I think if the NFL really wants its players to be role models, there should be rules in place about the placement of one's tattoos. The military has similar rules.

Can't imagine too many parents looking at Sam and thinking they want their own kids to get matching neck tattoos.

greg