Dave Chappelle

Gives Crowd the Silent Treatment

7/23/2011 5:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dave Chappelle bombed on stage last night at a charity event in Miami -- things were so bad, Dave checked his text messages ... in the middle of his show!

0723_dave_chappelle_video

According to reports, Chappelle became distracted by fans who were recording him and began conversing with them and refusing to tell jokes.

CNN reporter Roland S. Martin was in the crowd and tweeted throughout the show, saying, "He's spent more time going back & forth with one audience member, & pretty much stopped telling jokes ... He got texted four times during his show and actually checked them ... He's just staring at the crowd & sighing ... He's been on stage 46 minutes & told one joke."

The event, Zo’s Summer Groove, was put on by former NBA player Alonzo Mourning with the money going towards Alonzo's youth charity.

bri22

clearly he didn't want to tell jokes.
He either got a little to high before the show and was too anxious, or he didnt come prepared and didnt want to rehash his old jokes.
But I assure you he can be funny whenever he wants. He could say anything up there and it would be funny because he has the best delivery.

DebbieGP

Johnnyt

David Chappelle certainly has some issues and I have on
other occasions wondered if he was bipolar. His so erratic
switchs between brilliant comedy and inexplicable strange
behavior make him a walking ad for a wonderful group to
be found at NAMI.org. The chemical ****tails used to try
to control bipolar disorder are difficult as is, and when you
self medicate with weed...well, you get Chappelle.
I truly love his brand of comedy and only hope that he
comes back to us with material as well done as his three
seasons on Comedy Central. Before he imploded!

nof

@ Me 24 minutes ago
Why wasn't the person that was filming kicked out? Most venues say right on the ticket that you can't record. Someone that was running this event should have stepped in.

_________________________________________________________

Totally down with you, dude.

Totally agree.

If you want a great performance out of a Dave Chapelle, appreciate the guy and let the dude work.

If you're going to sit there, yell out, be rude, film it, etc. - then this is one of the consequences:

Non-performance.

The other is that they're going to come after you - and the last thing you want in a public venue - is for a professional comic to unleash his wrath and gifts on you.

I've seen all of the great ones handle this different ways - i.e. Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld, Jimmy Brogan - and now Chapelle -

Whichever way a professional decides/chooses to handle it - trust me you're going to lose.

Pari******on now gets up and leaves - whenever the ambush comes - that's going to be the consequence - for taking cheap shots at her under the guise of an interview.

n

PRO US

David Khari Webber Chappelle is trying to be a good Muslim. He converted to Islam in 1998 and has said he wants to donate half of his profits from DVD sales to charity.

In a June 2004 stand-up performance in Sacramento, California, Chappelle told the audience:

"You know why my show is good? Because the network officials say you're not smart enough to get what I'm doing, and every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong. You people are stupid."

Whether he had a mental breakdown or not, Chappelle did leave his cable TV show years ago to go to South Africa and reportedly forsook $50 million in doing so.

He said that he had not gotten over the death of his father and felt like a prostitute performing comedy and working up to 20 hour days. He also said some of his previous comedy sketches were socially irresponsible like one sketch on pixies when Chappelle was dressed in "blackface" like in a minstreal show and he found a white stage hand laughing and believed he was laughing at him.

People might think he can't handle the pressure anymore or doesn't want to, or is on drugs or has a mental condition. Whatever.

If you don't think he's funny anymore, don't pay to go see his shows. If you like his previous shows or recordings, watch or listen to them. If you go see one of his shows and don't feel you got your money's worth out of his performance, you can ask for a refund but no one is obligated to give you your money back.

It's simple.

stu

Comedy Central wanted to pay this "comic" 45mil!
He has the talent for making 45 cents.
Me thinks he's bipolar.

PRO US

minstrel

I am Spartacus

"DebbieGP 27 minutes ago
I just cannot understand how this guy caught a break. My first knowledge of him came when he was on "The Real World NY". He was so angry all the time, and always played the race card in every situation. I don't find him very funny. IMHO"
---------

please tell me this is a joke. You do realize that Dave from the Real World is not the same person as Dave Chappelle. Dave Chappelle has never and would never be on the Real World.

I am Spartacus

and Dave is one of the funniest comedians around. He just doesn't seem to have the same passion for it anymore and it looked like he must have agreed to do this show but deep down didn't want to.

And i agree with the person talking about the guy filming. It amazes me how some people don't know how to act at a comedy show. I went to a comedy show in SC at a small comedy club and these people who were sitting front row were so obnoxious. Not only were they having conversations with one another, they were texting the whole time and they kept getting up to go to the bathroom. The comedian even tried joking with them in hopes that they'd stop. When one of the guys kept checking his text messages the comedian said, "do me a favor while you're on that phone, google manners and how to behave at a comedy show." It ruined it for everyone else and it annoyed the comedian.

Even though this was a charity thing you don't film the guy while he's standing up there performing, this isn't a rock concert.

some guy

Meh... dunno when the last time Dave did standup, but he looked rusty as hell in this vid.

Dunno if this means he wants to do comedy again. Hope he comes up with better material than this travesty.

Jack

the most over-rated comic ever. He should have stayed on his farm and never came back. Not only is he not funny, he is also ungrateful. Especially at a charity event make an effort loser.

Chitown

@DebbieGP-Dave Chappelle wasn't on The Real World NY. You refereeing to Kevin Powell. Hopefully, that was just sarcasm because nobody could be that dumb.

lauren

Ok everyone MUST go to youtube: type in Ricard T. Jones Graduation, (there are several) look at the one posted by "Kidd Nation" HILARIOUS! Richard Jones had to give a graduation speech at Univ MD was totally unprepared!!!! so Kidd Nation dubbed a little thought bubble song over the speech!!!

Jon-Paul Stone

I heard the Dave quit Chappelle's Show not only due to failed negotiation with Comedy Central, but also due to some sort of mental illness. I think the fact that he disappeared to Africa for a while after leaving his Show and his obsession with having perfect, clean, white low top sneakers at all times ( If even one scuff is on his shoes he throws them away and puts on brand new ones) points to OCD and Bi-Polar disorder. I think Dave is super funny and talented but hes losing it man and this is just more proof.

PaulWS

And yet people still try to say he didn't go crazy.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments