Katherine Jackson

Courting MASSIVE Stars for

MJ Tribute Show

8/9/2011 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0808_mj_forever_ex
Michael Jackson's mom has personally reached out to some of the biggest music stars in the world in the hopes of getting them to perform at the big MJ tribute show in October ... but only ONE of them is a definite YES ... TMZ has learned.

Sources connected to the concert tell us ... Jay-Z, Kanye West, Cee Lo, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber, Christina Aguilera, Usher and Bruno Mars have each received an invitation (pictured above) from Katherine Jackson ... asking them to perform 1 or 2 of their favorite MJ songs in Cardiff, Wales on Oct. 8.

Katherine promises each star who signs on will be provided with "first class travel accommodations."

We're told Chris Brown, Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars have each respectfully declined the invite due to scheduling conflicts ... however, Christina and Kanye are leaning towards "Yes."

As for the one person who's already signed on the dotted line -- sources tell us Cee Lo from Gnarls Barkley was quick to commit.

Tickets to the event have not gone on sale yet -- but promoters say they will become available once a complete line-up is booked.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

Since Dr. Conrad Murray goes to Disneyland (Michael's fav place), with his arrogance, I could see him try to crash the bash.....idiot

Rage

Hitler's invited too?

Cartman

I hope they are trying to raise money to stop child molesters.

It's only right.

Hello is anybody in there?

Kanye West really!? What song do they want him to auto-tune?

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

I just looked at the invites real closely. Wow! Those must have cost a bundle, literally!

sly8ball

still trying to make a buck off is death instead of actually working...amazing...

BigHoss

Still milking Mj for everything he is or was worth....

Susan

I don't get people. Mj was a drug addict and you want to celebrate his life? Celebrate drug dependancy? As for Dr. Murphy, he can go visit Disneyland ay time he wants, Mj doesn't own the place. So how much of the proceeds for this concert will go to a drug rehab program? Or will Mama pocket the money?

amazon_woman

EVEN WHEN THE MAN IS DEAD THEY STILL ARE TRYING TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF HIM !!! HOW LOW WILL THEY GO ? CAN ANYBODY TELL ME ?

themaestrosgirl

Kanye West's name is on the invitation, but the article says he has not officially said yes. Either I'm reading it wrong, or it's very strange...I'm not sure how I feel about this, it feels more like exploitation to me than a tribute. I want Michael's memory honored, forever, but I'm not sure this is the way to go about it.

The Real JJ

Why are people saying that she's just trying to make off of his death??? I think the music industry should have done this years ago, when he was alive. I can see others in the family like papa Joe trying to squeeze whatever they can but not Katherine. I know theres other people around her in her ear trying persuade her but I think she wants this for the family, especially his kids Everyone's to busy calling Michael a drug addict, etc. they forget about the one thing he really was addicted to, his music.

Phreaky

In WALES of all places, really? Obviously a desperate attempt to make money. Must be outside the jurisdiction of the legal restrictions of his estate or something. Pitiful.

sofi

Like poor Michael sang "Anything for money".

What I Think

I bet this will be one of the biggest nobody gives a d*** of all times.

TSIG

Oh NOOOOOOOOoooooo! Global Live lied to us and couldn't get anyone but Craig David, so now Katherine is literally BEGGING performers to participate. How EMBARRASSING!!!!!!!!!! STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT!!!! For crying out loud, how desperate are you for a BUCK!

This is NOTHING but a moneymaking scheme by the promoter and the Jacksons. It has not even been confirmed that they will give anything from the ticket sales from this concert to charity, but even if they do (because of fan outrage), WHAT ABOUT THE PROCEEDS FROM ALL OF THE REST OF THE MONEY-MAKING EFFORTS, such as pay-per-view, the enormous amounts to be made by negotiating deals for the right to broadcast the concert in 30 countries, the DVD and CD that you KNOW they're going to produce, the merchandise, the book, it goes on and on. It could potentially amount to hundreds of millions of dollars -- and will ANYONE profit except the promoter (Global Live) and the personal bank accounts of the Jacksons?

They need some "world class" performers AND an audience filled with people so they'll have something to film and distribute. DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM!! Don't waste your money on this garbage "tribute" that purports to "raise money for charity." PERFORMERS: PLEASE don't do it! You will not be honoring Michael. You will be honoring the pockets of Global Live and the Jacksons. THIS IS NOT APPROVED BY HIS ESTATE -- the people he CHOSE to handle his business affairs.

Cirque du Soleil and Michael Jackson's Estate already have the greatest and most spectactular tribute that could possibly be paid to Michael starting in October -- THE IMMORTAL WORLD TOUR. This Jackson family "tribute" concert is utterly redundant and completely unnecessary, and now it is completely UNWANTED by many of Michael's fans.

How PATHETIC to have his mother go crawling and personally BEGGING people to sing. Michael would be APPALLED!! DON'T FALL FOR IT!! TURN HER DOWN!! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!! She just won't STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments