Sesame Street

Bert & Ernie AREN'T GAY!!!

8/11/2011 12:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0811-bert-ernie-google3-BN
Sesame Street has finally responded to age-old rumors that Bert and Ernie are gay -- claiming the infamous room-sharing man-puppet odd couple are JUST FRIENDS ... and have no sexual orientation whatsoever.

A petition emerged online this week, urging the creators of Sesame Street to marry the two puppets -- but the Sesame Workshop just posted a message on its Facebook account, writing, "Bert and Ernie are best friends."

The statement continues, "They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves."

"Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics ... they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation."

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

0811_sesame_stars_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Rage

Gay people said they were gay!

kar

Some things need to stay the same. Leave Bert an Ernie alone.

chuck.bartowski73

Pathetic fa--gg--ots TMZ is and also whoever called for this is pathetic

Kelly Kelly

They're cartoons for Christ sake! Dang, ppl need to quit trying to sexualize everything!

Bobby

Slow news day?

Mayu

give me a flipping break. You know what, you want to teach your kids about sexuality at 3 years old that's on you, but there's no way if I had kids I would teach them about sexuality (whether straight or gay) at 3 years old, nor do I want a show aimed at children that young teaching them for me. There's NO REASON TO. They're THREE. My nephew is 2 years old and counts 1 2 3 5 11 3 2 3. I think I'd rather him watch Sesame street and learn how to properly count passed 3 before he learns about how boys and girls (or boys and boys or what ever) "like" like each other.

This gay thing is going too far. Get over yourselves. You're not that special where you have to have "gayness" in EVERYTHING including shows aimed at toddlers.

Mike

Just like Oprah and Gayle.

FRIENDS!

Chef Jack Tripper

Im not buying it. Next thing your going to tell me is that Ryan Seacrest isn't gay.

Stella

TMZ? Is is that slow of a news day to put this non-story up on the board? Seriously, if you want to be taken as a the # 1 entertainment website, these kinds of "stories" should not be included.....

VictoriaGirl

Of course they arent gay, they're PUPPETS! Also, how come no one ever wondered if the guys on the show "The Odd Couple" were gay or not?

Jillyann94

Don't you think that if they were gay they would sleep in the same bed? And why would they put that on a child's tv show? Exactly.

L

Frakkin' swamp loggers need to shove their petitions where the sun don't shine.

Erin

I don't think Burt & Ernie are gay -- if you need proof: they have separate beds! I wouldn't care if they were, my young son also wouldn't care. BUT I think it's odd that they said that puppets don't have a sexual orientation....what do you call Miss Piggy?! She's been flirting with and lusting after Kermit for years! She's definitely got some kind of sexual orientation...I don't know if it's called being "straight", since Kermit IS a frog....

Beyond all that: This is one truly weird rumor (and persistent too!)

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

OMG...first Spongebob and now Bert n Ernie, these are kiddy charaters...they are not kardashian whores...who in their sick minds would think of crap like this..........

Wilson1234

Um....They are some puppets that some person made up to entertain children. They were not created with a sexual orientation!!!! What the hell!!!!???? The puppets aren't real! Sounds like some people got bored, and they needed another reason to hate gay people, so they tried to blame it on seasame street. Really? Leave Bert and Ernie alone!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments