Russell Armstrong

Distraught Over Divorce and

'Tremendous Financial Problems'

8/16/2011 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0816_russell_taylor_armstrong_ex_3
"Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" star Russell Armstrong was at his wits end over his impending divorce from Taylor in the days leading to his death -- and he was inundated with debt.

Russell's lawyer Ronald Richards tells TMZ, Russell had been staying at a friend's house on Mulholland Drive in L.A. -- the same house where authorities found his body hanging last night.

0816-russell-house-water-subRichards tells us, "I feel bad because his credit cards weren't working ... He had tremendous financial problems."

Richards adds, "He was also extremely bummed out about the divorce with Taylor. As far as a will, even if he does have a will, they don't have any assets, so I'm not sure what there would be left to leave. I am extremely saddened ... I had no idea he was depressed."

As we previously reported, Russell -- an investor who made his money in the 90s during the dot com boom -- filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2005, claiming he had less than $50,000 in assets ... and debt somewhere between $1 and $10 million.

kevin

The insane $50,000 birthday party for their daughter, the expensive life style, plastic surgery, looks even more insane with this sad info..When peoples entire identity is based on what they have... they see themselves as nothing when they go broke... How very sick.

Kartrashian Klown

That is a selfish thing to do. To leave your 4-year-old daughter to live without her dad, and leave your financial problems to your widow to handle. What an ass. But it is still very sad..for the little girl.

Meow

Oh my, Bet no one saw that coming.

Diane

I just don't understand how these people on these shows continue with their shams of a lifestyle.... it's an awful trainwreck and this guy was under the impression that financial worth equaled happiness.... very sad....

jennyfoil4u

This makes me so sad. Things and people always leave us empty, if you ever feel so bad you want to die reach out to Jesus! He says if you are weary and heavy hearted I will give you rest, cast your burdens unto me for my burdens are easy and my yoke is light, knock and I will answer, seek and you will find.....because He cares for us! I pray for this families comfort Lord and that they would draw near to you.

elin

the only thing that seems to bother everyone is that his wife spent crazy amounts on thier daughters birthday party, not that this daughter has lost her father. it makes me sick that people can be this jaded now a days.. will his young daughter even have any memories of him? probably not many.. i find it so ******* childish to take your life for alleged money problems. a lot of people dont have any money to spend but you dont see them running off hanging themselves. GET YOUR **** IN SOME PERSPECTIVE. BOOO HOO, LET ME JUST HANG MYSELF OFF THIS CHANDELIER IN THIS ******* MANSION ON MULHOLLAND DRIVE.
i dont have much empathy for taylor but to blame her for russels suicide is too much. sad thing is that many of those that choose to take their life are someones husband or wife, you dont hear that it necessarily was their spouses fault just because they were married.. in my opinion, russel was a grown man. he and taylor were in the process of divorce. IT WAS HIS OWN SELFISH DECISION TO COMMIT SUICIDE!

Alex

Lesson to learn men run from these blood suckers creatures. she spend like crazy

WiddoMouse

Such a permanent solution to a temporary problem. My condolences to his wife, daughter and other family members. He was loved and will remain loved so long as there are people who carry his memory in their hearts.

EVLBERT

So his lawyer knew he was sad but didn't know he was depressed?

bardee

Let's be real. He was so stressed out because of all the lavish spending to put on a show for everyone. I looked at the show and could not believe the wasteful spending -- and her complaints that he was always working - obviously, she could not get enough. Too bad because I do not think he was a bad guy just had too much stress. I just wonder if she would have divorced him if he still had money. This will be her guilt always.

Theresa

It's no wonder that he didn't fit in with rest of the bunch and that he wasn't turned on by Taylor when she was trying to be sexy and glamorous He knew they were broke. Poor guy!

Big D

So this is reality TV. Scripted shows based on untrue cir****tances in totaly un sustainable setting. Nice. Now you have a bunch of people thinking they are stars and killing themselves when the money dries up.

taas

It's unfortunate that he did this leaving a child behind. If he wasn't so into being of a certain status and ostentatious this could have been preventable. If you file for bankruptcy one year and then continue to try to maintain the beverly hills lifestyle, you are just waiting for depression to be knocking at your door. During their marriage, Taylor should have been more supportive. Instead of buying expensive outfits and throwing a toddler "adult parties" and buying a child a diamond filled necklace, she holds part responsibility in deciding whats reasonable to spend and not to spend.(Remember when Taylor was so angry at Russell when he bought his daughter a dog, but really Taylor must have felt jealous when their daughter liked the dog more than the diamond barbie necklace) His money is her money too and she should have cared what was happening to it. Those lips(Taylor's injections) must have done Russell really good in the bedroom if you know what I mean-she got everything she wanted.

maria

Good that he will not let nothing to this gold digger ,the show ,her ,the depression ,her telling the world about him and his abuse ? everything contribuited to his dead! I hope she doesn't get a penny! let the Housewives show ,take care of her they make a millions for each episode ,like the trashy NJ housewives too this wanabe people get milluions and they don't even are actors what a shame and waste of time!It was obvious the guy has problems and between this two it was not any chemistry ,he looks so sad and mean !

Pompano Ann

Very Sad! Can only imagine your life on reality TV and all the personal items coming out and the judgements. When reality crosses a fine line; this divorce should have been done behind closed doors; who needs that much attention (PR)?