Warrant Singer Jani Lane

MYSTERY NOTE FOUND AT DEATH SCENE

8/23/2011 3:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0811_janie_lane_EX_01Ex-Warrant singer Jani Lane was carrying a note in his pocket on the day he died which read, "I am Jani Lane" ... but TMZ has learned Jani wasn't the person who wrote the note.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Jani had no official ID on him when his body was discovered at a Los Angeles motel on August 11 -- and we're told he hadn't been in possession of an ID for a while.

We're told the note contained a phone number for a person close to Jani -- and police contacted that person after Jani's body was discovered.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... investigators have confirmed the note was written by one of Jani's friends -- and that person had placed a similar note on Jani in the past. Cops have been in contact with that person.

However, the note has infuriated members of Jani's family -- who tell us whoever had written the note was CLEARLY aware that Jani had a substance abuse problem ... and should have helped Jani seek treatment instead of simply tucking a piece of paper into his pants.

It's unclear if the same person who wrote the note also checked Jani into the Comfort Inn -- but sources tell us it appears the room where Jani was discovered was not purchased by Jani himself.

Law enforcement sources tell us there is no criminal investigation into the death -- and so far, investigators believe Jani's death was either accidental or due to natural causes.

An autopsy has been completed -- and results from the toxicology tests are expected soon.

0812_jani_lane_footer

B.T. Wall

Jani was obviously beyond help. The person that wrote the note cared more for him than anyone can ever know. The person who has the problem has to want to STOP. I got my wake up call a little over 4 years, nuff' said. God bless Jani & in the end, he had at least one Friend that loved him for him. R.I.P dude. Peace.

toaddy

I am sorry for his family. However, I do not understand how they can believe some other addict who obviously cannot help him/herself was going to help Jani who obviously could not help himself either. If you exercise such poor judgement to abuse drugs all of your standards are blurred. These are the type of people addicts hang with. Jani was one himself.The only person who could help Jani was himself. Not another addict or his family. We know. We have been there.

bunny

Maybe the parents should grow up and stop blaming his friends for their screw ups as parents. If they want to act juvenile, why weren't they in the hotel room knowing he had substance abuse problems? Talk about narcissistic.

c

First of all, why the **** wasn’t his “family” helping him get treatment? If the burden for that falls on anyone, it’s his family, not his friends. Second of all, if anyone in this stupid family of his had a brain they would know that you can’t force anyone to get help; they will only do it when they are ready. If they want to be “infuriated” with someone they can either look in the mirror or blame him. Those are the people who deserve it.

MyOpinionOnly

You cannot force an addict to do anything they don't want to do...like treatment. Nice of his family to talk smack to his friend, but if they really felt that way, then why didn't any of HIS family get his treatment? My guess is because they couldn't. Jani placed himself in this situation and while its very sad, the family cannot place blame anywhere than on Jani. RIP Jani.

Erica

Oh please! Why didn't the family get him help? Probably because he had an addiction problem that only he could decide to address... I don't think the person who slipped the note in his pocket is responsible any more than the family is for not "getting him help." I am guessing that he had opportunities for that while he was alive, although I don't know with certainty.

Ghost Rider

Some Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin Rich guy in the industry had him killed him, and maybe even over those publishing rights.

shelley

another family finding it easier to blame others than to look in the mirror. Unlikely anyone could have helped but they have no right to point fingers.

SpilltheBeanz

Sounds to me like this person was with Jani and left him there to die. There should be an investigation on this person. What kinda friend is that? Whole thing is messed up as everyone knew Jani had a problem an most just enabled it, just sad ; (

spyke

Obviously this person tried to look out for this addict the best they could but they cannot be held responsible for his ultimate demise.

jpm4444

Sounds weird; a friend probably got sick of him, got him a room, and then put this note into his pocket because they knew how far out they are.

If an addict won't get help, nothing you can do.

TheUltraworld

It was because he had the innate ability to go on several day benders (forgetting who he was) that ended in torn up hotel rooms & arrests. this guy was a real mess.

alittleunwell

I have said it before, and I will say it again. It is unfair to judge the family when their nerves are raw from the sudden grief. We don't know what they did or didn't do for him. Jani is the only one at fault for his death. He couldn't beat his demons. That doesn't make him a bad person or any less talented...it just means that the demons won the war.

Linda Brown

I cried when I heard he had died! In 1988 I actually got to party with him after a show and not only was he a stone cold fox, he was very nice to me and my friends and even sang "Cherry Pie" for us!! To me he was one of rock's greatest singers and songwriters and it so tragic that we lose another person to substance abuse and in the end he had no one he could reach out to except some cretin who simply put a note in his pocket? If he was my friend I would have tried everything I could to get him some help!! Call Dr Drew, somebody!!

TMS

Wasn't his family also aware of his substance abuse problem? Why blame this mystery person as they should have been the ones trying to help him seek treatment.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments