Jimmy Kimmel's Uncle Frank

Dead at 77

8/23/2011 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0823-uncle-Frank-Potenza-BN
"Uncle Frank" Potenza -- the silver-haired ex-cop who charmed audiences on his nephew's show, "Jimmy Kimmel Live!", died early this morning ... reps from the show have confirmed.

Uncle Frank spent 20 years as a New York City police officer -- before eventually becoming a staple on Kimmel's late night show in 2003.

The show released an official statement on Frank's passing -- saying his "kindness and humor" will be missed.

The show has not revealed Frank's cause of death.

Uncle Frank was 77.

update_bar
10:45 AM: Jimmy tweeted about the situation ... saying, "thank you for your kind words about a very kind man - my Uncle Frank - who passed away this morning."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

DJ

Uncle Frank had a childlike innocence about him that was so endearing. It added so much to his wonderfully charismatic personality. He was a real character and will be greatly missed. My sympathy to Jimmy Kimmel and the family.

meesh14

My family was visiting from NY and I took them to see the Jimmy Kimmel show. Before the taping of the show, my mother got to dance with Uncle Frank and he was a true gentleman. I got to see him a few times after that at the San Gennaro Feast in Hollywood. He always remembered me and was always so nice to me. I will miss Uncle Frank at the Feast. May God Bless Uncle Frank and May he rest in peace. My heart goes out to his family. Jimmy...you truly do have a great family. Thank you for sharing your Uncle Frank with us. See you all at the San Gennaro Feast....

meesh14

ARTIE

two thumbs up for jimmy kimmel show on tribute to his uncle.... had me on tears the entire show.....

Lotusmoon

RIP Uncle Frank and Jimmy K I wish you well in your time of grieving. I have always loved your show, keep up the good work.

Frank B.

Jimmy...I am truly sad about the recent new of your uncle Frank passing away...my sincere condolences to the Potenza family. I will keep you, Aunt Chippy and your family in my prayers.

God Bless

Lil Harrison

R.I.P. Uncle Frank. And thank you Jimmy for sharing your wonderful uncle with us. My heart and prayers go our to your and your family. I watched your memorial show to Uncle Frank with tears in my eyes. And thank you for not being afraid to show your emotions!!!!

dorothy 9

Uncle Frank was a true gem,his exuberance and joy lit up the screen on Jimmy Kimmel Live. I cried like a baby last nigh*****ching the tribute,I will miss his appearance the way he made me laugh messing up word vernacular the show wont be the same without him.

Bobbi

Uncle Frank was the best, he was part of our viewing family.
All the people on your show Jimmy are part of our family, The Band, Gumero, and the rest of the security staff. Our condolences to Jimmy and all of the Family. Your the best Uncle Frank....!!! RIP.

Demi

He was humble, genuine and sweet. R.I.P. Uncle Frank.

allieboy

REST IN PEACE UNCLE FRANK, SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS JIMMY AND THE REST OF THE FAMILIA I'LL PRAY FOR YOU.....ALLIE BOY

MJClemm

Ah no... just found out, my condolences to the Frank Family... he WILL BE MISSED !!!!! Big time... I feel a little loss myself and I never had the HONER to meet him... God Bless and Rest In Peace Frank.... Gonna miss you.....Michael J...

Jade

Oh noooo! Good thing I met him inside the Mexican Grill build on Hollywood last 2009. I do have the picture of us together. He used his right thumb up and smiled next to me....I also visited Jimmy Zimmel's studi and saw Frank standing next to the black lady...unknow her name...I had to go to the bathroom...I walked down the audience stairs to the left where he stood and waved at him....I hoped he recognized my face...ha Wow! I can not believe that he is GONE!...oh man...I will make a copy picture of me and Frank together......hand it to Jimmy in person when I visit his studio again....:( Yeah I am feeling so bad about him!...Resting in peace!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5