« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Hank Williams Lashes Back!

You Didn't Fire Me

... I QUIT!!!!!

10/6/2011 9:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hank Williams
Are you ready for some controversy???

Hank Williams Jr. claims his departure from "Monday Night Football" was by his OWN doing  ... insisting he was NOT fired by ESPN.

Williams released a statement ... saying, "After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision."

He adds, "By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE.  It’s been a great run.”

It looks like ESPN beat Hank by several minutes in posting its announcement about the separation.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Alice

This man is so unimportant in the scheme of things. I am sure he will stay in his very tiny world of hate and prejudice all his life even though he is one of the few who have opportunity to travel and grow.

denver

QUESTION..........
If you can loose your job for saying something dumb (I don't think his analogy was dumb) then WHY....WHY....DOES OBAMA AND BIDEN STILL HAVE A JOB??????????????? Talk about saying something dumb. That's all that ever comes out of Obama and Biden's mouth......ESPN you are dumb for not understanding what Hank was saying in his analogy.

holden

geez, how rednecky can this guy get??

Jim

Hank... Go home.

That explains it

Who cares? Both are immature IMHO, trying to beat each other to the punch. He's gone--that's the main thing.

Stupid People Hater

Doesn't really matter. I was so sick of the country, hillbilly image they were giving football when it is a bunch of gangster playing the game. Should be a rapper doing the pregame song.

KIMMY

Hank is a true good hearted AMERICAN! You cannot speak your heart no more hear in this country this pisses me off. If you dont like Obama and his crew just shut up cause you,ll get it from the blacks period. I lost so called friends over saying i dont like him. It is all about race. Hank fight this one i believe you,ll have alot of supoorters, this hill billy isnt stupid.

Truth

WHO CARES IF THEY POSTED THEIR MESSAGES SEVERAL MINUTES APART. THE POINT IS HANK THE WANKSTER GOT CAUGHT WITH HIS HAND IN THE COOKIE MONSTER'S JAR AND IT IT TOOK THAT FEW MINUTES TO REALIZE HE'S FIRED. THEN WENT ON A NA-NAH-NA-NAHH RANT. TRUTH!!
HOWEVER HE'S RIGHT ABOUT THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH. APPARENTLY IT'S ONLY FREEDOM OF SPEECH WHEN YOU TOLL THE LINE AND SIT ON ONE BIASED SIDE OR THE OTHER. MORE TRUTH!!!

Nick

The NFL makes a lot of money off the slave labor of black athletes.

Annoyed in MD

You know when it first came out - I just thought he was a stupid redneck but now I know he is just dumb. First off - first ammendment rights do not not apply to "employees of the company" doing this outside of work that represent the employer. MNF does not want any controversy and really does need him or the song. BS - he quit, do you know the money

Tony

"Free" Speech, I thought he was getting a check.

If an employee selling his BBQ sauce was singing "Change is gonna come" instead of selling sauce shouldn't they be fired?

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

He's stepping on ESPNs "freedom to fire your ass"

Sleepwalker

Scank Williams and his annoying overrated song can no longer bother my ears!

dimes

He can use his free speech to say whatever he wants, but in this economy no one throws away money for nothing. Good luck getting people to buy into your face-saving move, dude.

Patrick

He is not even man enough to stand and say what really happened. How sad for this coward of a redneck.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments