« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Hank Williams Lashes Back!

You Didn't Fire Me

... I QUIT!!!!!

10/6/2011 9:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hank Williams
Are you ready for some controversy???

Hank Williams Jr. claims his departure from "Monday Night Football" was by his OWN doing  ... insisting he was NOT fired by ESPN.

Williams released a statement ... saying, "After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision."

He adds, "By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE.  It’s been a great run.”

It looks like ESPN beat Hank by several minutes in posting its announcement about the separation.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

DeShawn

BS, Hank Jr. Your alligator mouth bit your hummingbird behind!

To the people who say he has free speech, he does but he should know other people has free speech too and they have a right to disagree as well. If you are going to say something that compares someone or something to Hitler... You pretty much lose all your creditability and will get some guarantee backlash.

Jeff Becker

Hank is an awesome musician and singer, but he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Jesse Johanesse

It's funny how all these people can totally disgrace the C.i.C. Calling him Hitler as if if he was actually going around hanging innocent people because of the color of their skin, hating Jews just because they were Jews, or dragging people from the bumpers of their pick-up trucks....wait a minute that's not Obama, it's Hank's folks.It's crazy how these idiots claim racial discrimination after they perform a hate crime. Dumb ass hill-billy, redneck bastards.Now that occupy New York is over, my foot has time to occupy his ass....wait a minute, ESPN just beat me to it.

g

Hank you have the right to say what you want, last time I checked this is America. To the people saying burn down the south again, you are the bigots!!!

Uh

First amendment rights? Money says you don't understand "them", let alone have read all of same. That's all right. You'll be able to continue to sponge off your fathers notoriety...yawn.

me

if the networks want to play politics, then screw them. last time i checked we still had freedom of speech. oh wait that is just the networks and the govenment!! screw them all!

Bob

This old coot needs to go back to his tractor and hang out in his little red-neck part of the woods where he can keep hi*****e to a few hillbilly friends. This dude is vile!

Cora

Really, who cares?

TheSinisterCollector

Like anybody that truly believes in what they think he would eventually in some way shape or form have said it in public. He got his song pulled and suffered enough criticism to the retract what he said and to apologize and claim he was misunderstood. That makes him spineless. He knew exactly what he said and wouldn't take it back if it didn't hit him in the wallet. I guess putting on the "fearless-hillbilly-redneck" attitude is only an act. Say what you feel and stand by it. For right or wrong we really don't have alot of musicians,politicians or public figures who get critisized or boycotted and will still stand by their words. They apologize like wimps and try to sooth the nerves the irritated. Shame.

Holly

Good. The man is a moron, and I can't stand that stupid song.

Nick

The NFL makes a lot of money off the slave labor of black athletes.

Justin

Yea like I believe he quit his kooshie gig raking in money for playing 1 song for 20 years. You sir are full of ****.

chartman

i say all of you who support hank, jr. should boycott espn. i will boycott because i can't say i have ever watched the station as i don't care for football. espn you messed with the wrong guy. he was not calling obama hitler, however; i think osama obama is a radical terrorist. so get over it, that goes for the fox morning show, i was shocked at the look on all three faces. does not sit well with me. i may boycott that show as well.

vaughan

this idiot hasn't been revelent since 1985..what a loser and hillbilly, just go marry your cousin or whatever you rednecks do,,ugly beard and silly sunglasses at night..what a punk

mousetrap

StevenB: 11 minutes ago

Someone obviosly has never read the First Amendment which only protects someone from persecution from THE GOVERNMENT. A business can fire an employee who they think crossed the lines of acceptable behavior as established by the company or who in some way brought embarrassment or reflected badly on the company.

Besides, his whole post is soooooo high school. "She didn't dump me, I dumped HER! I did, too! It, it, it was a mutual thing really. I didn't get dumped!"
_________________________________________

You are so right. And your post is an excellent point. I worked for a major telecommunications company for many years and they told us what was exceptable to say or behave on property, regardless of whether or not we were on the clock or on a break. If you were really badmouthing management or trashing the company, they would walk you out. And we had a strong union. They just didn't put up with it. You may have been given a talking to or warning, but if you were a nasty ass or real squeaky wheel they would get you the heck out of there.