« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Johnny Damon

Papelbon DESERVES

to Party His Face Off

10/12/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

101211_johnny_damon_still

Former Boston Red Sox stud Johnny Damon says his former teammate Jonathan Papelbon earned himself the right to party in New Orleans last weekend ... despite the fact the Sox had just skidded their way out of the playoffs.

Damon -- who played for Tampa Bay last season -- was leaving Boa in Hollywood last night ... when we asked about the photos of the Red Sox closer firing off beads on Bourbon street.

Damon replied, "[losing is] never easy and Jonathan Papelbon has had a great career so far ... so he can do whatever he wants."

He added, "I'm glad he's enjoying himself, I wish he was on my team."

1011_papelbon_bourbon_street_party_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Scrum

He would be on your team if you didn't sign with the Yankees, dirtbag!

Rogue Warrior

Somebody in an earlier thread said he was in NO for his wife's best friends wedding, so as usual, THZ is making something out of nothing, all in the name of hits.

Give me a break!

TMZ- Yankee fan much? Non story from a TMZ Yankee fan. Hey the Yankees were sent packing too- Jeter is already back chasing Charlie's angel- go chase that story. Find out why he isn't he home alone?

Matt

scrum

he wouldn't have been with the red sox if he wouldn't have left oakland...dirtbag

Carl

savedbythebellhorn.com is reporting that Papplebon may have been one of the only members of the 2011 Red Sox who gave a damn

Kaffee

I loved Johnny when he was with the Red Sox and had his long hair--along with his hair, he lost something when he went to the Yankees. Wonder if he thinks it was a mistake too.

Jean Deaux

who wants to listen to this sellout. How the hell do you go from BoSox to the f*ckin' Yankees?!

cheryl

I am a diehard sox fan and I hope that they trade him. Can't stand the stupid "be scared of me face". Maybe if he really scared opposing batters I would be alright with it.

ANS84

Johnny Damon's a great, standup guy no matter where he plays. I'm live in the Tampa Bay area and am SO glad he signed with the Rays. He provided a veteran presence on a very young team and had a tremendous impact on those players. He especially showed a great example on the field. At 37 years old the man always ran out ground balls hard and got a lot of infield singles because of it. He's a great player and I hope he gets voted in the Hall of Fame one day. Probably not first ballot, but eventually.

I was glad we were able to knock Boston out of the playoffs and it probably sucked for Papelbon, who, from what I hear, was one of the few Red Sox players who actually cared about winning. The Sox should hire a babysitter for Josh Beckett, John Lackey and Jon Lester, who all got drunk and played video games in the clubhouse during games on their off days.

billy pootons

Does he take 50 seconds between bead throws as he does between pitches.... I don;t care how good he is, it's agonizing watching an inning he pitches because he TAKES FOREVER to deliver a pitch