Omar Sharif

Slaps Woman

at Qatar Film Festival [VIDEO]

10/27/2011 9:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0_gcw2ofe1_0_3mf2iimg
Hollywood legend Omar Sharif lost his cool at a film festival in Qatar this morning ... and angrily slapped a woman right on the red carpet.

Sharif was at the Doha Tribeca Film Festival for a screening of one of his movies ... when a woman approached him on the red carpet ... and tried to take a picture with the 79-year-old actor.

Sharif -- who was nominated for an Oscar in 1962 for his role in "Lawrence of Arabia" -- lashed out in Arabic ... telling the woman to wait her turn ... and then slapping her.

Moments later, the woman smiled and posed for a photo with Sharif like nothing ever happened.

Watching from the video, it's unclear if Sharif made contact with the woman's face -- but one reporter who was at the scene tweeted, "Omar Sharif just hit a woman. Very stupidly, in front of a camera."

Sharif has a long history of getting physical with people -- back in 2003, he attacked a cop in a Paris casino and in 2007, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery for beating up a Beverly Hills parking attendant.

Calls to Sharif's camp have not been returned.

Dave

Why are most Arab men always so agressive. Who is teaching them to behave like that???? Their modest mothers or their faith?

shad

Slaps? Com on! It's no good but slaps a woman?

Ameen

To the idiot who are saying that it is their culture, just to let you know Omar Sharif lived most of his life out of the Arab word, I'm very sure he learned that from some Hollywood garbage and than blame the Arabs culture!! u uneducated rats!

No Respect

His behavior is disgusting...I can't believe the woman still wanted to take a picture with him. My reflex reaction would have been to slap him right back. He tried to make himself look good in front of the camera and accomplished looking like a douche bag

Ibrahim

salam 3lekom (peace on all of you) I'm Egyptian and I'm proud of my Islam just i want to ask why i see some comments relate between this behavior and Islamic culture let me tell u something this man doesn't honor me not for this situation only but also he drink these behaviors form your "west Morality" and he didn't ever act Islam. for your information he was a Jew then he became a Muslim to marry from Muslim actress then divorce her and go to Europe for acting and he became someone without religion. sorry you are very fast in comments to attack on Islam without reading and research about Islamic culture we don't blame you but we blame the "west media" that change the European and Americans to be stupid people.

marcus

Women, humiliating themselves even for tiniest hope of cookie crumbles....why bother to try to be a better man, husband or lover?

Thats also why we players are doing so well. Somehow its still sad, even if you do succeed with women, cause you allways still dream that they could represent real companionship.

jeff

******* *******

Arab

I understand what he said. They wanted to take a picture for him alone and the woman was not giving them the chance He slapped her hand to make her pay attention to what is happening He called her my love who is taking ur picture with me and she said I dont know. Then took the pic with her.

Shaista Shahida

@tara: It's not the classic arab culture, and you should know that. Slappin' a woman is never good, no matter what culture it is. As bein' a woman, from a arab culture, if he would do that 2 me. I would not only break his nose. But cut his **** off.

ei

that old bastard slaps a stranger?? this obviously isnt the first time he has done it. any woman worth a damn would have knocked the living **** out of him. typical arab attitude towards women. pull that **** in the U S and see what happens you old bastard

na van duinen

BELACHELIJK ,VAN OMAR SHARIF OM EEN VROUW TE SLAAN ,ZOU HEM
EEN DIKKE KNIJP HEBBEN GEGEVEN EN NOOIT MET ZO EEN PERSOON OP DE FOTO WILLEN ,ECHT EEN OUD LASTIG MANNETJE DUS !!
VR GR MEVR VAN DUINEN

diana

What a stupid woman to laugh about it. She should beat him on his big arabic nose.

Oval Beach

Did you see how the woman on the left was about to get in close to snap a picture with the "gentleman"? She came in close to his right side but realized she might get her head bit off too...it was more like..."I'll pass, thanks". LOL. He's a class act.

moppie

shame are you this is in dutch handen thuis van vrouwen.hier in nederland wort je opgepakt voor het slaan van en vrouw

Jeff

I think he was confused. Two women in the video look like identical twins. He probaly thought he already posed with that woman.