« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Retiring After Football Season

'I Wish I Had Done More'

11/9/2011 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_joe_paterno_BN_01
Penn St.
head football coach Joe Paterno just announced that he will retire at the end of the current football season ... calling the child molestation scandal, "one of the great sorrows of my life" and saying, "I wish I had done more."

Paterno released a statement saying, "I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

He added, "I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

Officials say Paterno had knowledge that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had allegedly sexually abused a pre-teen boy in the showers in the Penn State locker room back in 2002.

Paterno reported the incident to the athletic director at Penn State -- but failed to notify the police.

The police commissioner says Paterno has not been accused of legal wrongdoing, but claims Paterno did NOT fulfill his "moral responsibility."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

njmom21

He says he should of done more.Yes you should of and why say it now? Cause you got caught?You should of thought about that when it happened..No sympathy here..

Kari

I think he is a legend--and that can't be ignored. But I also think he knew about this, and he's right--he should have done more. And I believe it is necessary that he "retires" before someone retires him.

Ken

Did or didn't fulfill his moral responsibility?

Lynn

He should be arrested...he is just as GUILTY....he let these poor little boys get raped....he is GUITY.....fire him now.....

DetroitRocks

"And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University." University first says it all. What about helping the kids that got raped because Paterno did next to nothing?

renee

retire at the end of the season? unacceptable. he needs to step down IMMEDIATELY! one of the greatest sorrows of his life? tell that to the kids harmed, AFTER Joe became aware of what was happening. perhaps there wouldn't be so many children to grieve for had he acted on the knowledge he had been given. your shame is as great as the perpetrators Joe...man up.

Marley

What I don’t understand is why the Grad assistant didn’t come to the rescue of the young boy in the shower. Do something to protect the child immediately.

soulofanangel

------------------------------------------------------------
YOU wished you had done more? Bet those young boys in 2002 wished you had retired and they would have had an authority figure with RESPECT for young boys who would have reported the NASTY DEEDS of Sandusky to the POLICE!
-----------------------------------------------------------
PATERNO, you walk into the sunset but those boys (now MEN) have to LIVE with YOUR lack of moral conduct to REPORT to the CORRECT authorities.
-----------------------------------------------------------
You dance with the Devil you walk in Hell. Undeserving boys, subjected to powerful and formerly respected men, now have to live with the daily nightmare of Sandusky and his
"Band of Silencers".
------------------------------------------------------------
D I S G U S T I N G Good Old Boys Club keeps rearing it ugly head!
------------------------------------------------------------

Jay W.

Don't blame Joe... that's BS.

Carl

I don't get why he is being demonized. He was told about a situation he himself did not see. He reported the claim to his superior, the head of the athletic department. If the AD and the university administration didn't do anything about it that isn't Joe's fault. Who knows exactly what the grad student said. It may have been told to him in a way where the situation didn't sound as serious as it was.
If you want to do the blame game then blame the grad student for not telling the police, or the administration, not the guy in the middle just because he is the most famous member of the staff.

Dale

"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case". Yeh, he is devastated that they came out.

Dave

If this was Joe's kid or grandkid youd bet your a$$ he'd be at the police station. He knew it, the athletic director knew it, probably PSU administration knew it and they covered it up to save face. Its despicable! There is way more to this story than is being reported..there was large scale involvment and a major cover up by the school. WHere did the parents go? Why didnt they go to the police? Lets hear all about the payoffs PSU.

Trish

Paterno is being railroad. I am proud to say that I am an alumni of PSU and Joe Paterno is Penn State. Anyone that can say anything about Joe is nothing but a no good idiot.

Dan

Yes Joe you SHOULD have done more. You will always be held accountable as you and the other Penn St mature adult officials should be. You should be fired IMMEDIATELY.

Isn't it odd that this really came to light only AFTER Joe won his record breaking game last weekend? This whole scandal reeks of disgust.

Jay W.

Paterno went to the President instead of Human Resources or the cops. THAT WAS HIS MISTAKE! Sometimes people don't want to believe accusations.