« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Retiring After Football Season

'I Wish I Had Done More'

11/9/2011 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_joe_paterno_BN_01
Penn St.
head football coach Joe Paterno just announced that he will retire at the end of the current football season ... calling the child molestation scandal, "one of the great sorrows of my life" and saying, "I wish I had done more."

Paterno released a statement saying, "I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

He added, "I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

Officials say Paterno had knowledge that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had allegedly sexually abused a pre-teen boy in the showers in the Penn State locker room back in 2002.

Paterno reported the incident to the athletic director at Penn State -- but failed to notify the police.

The police commissioner says Paterno has not been accused of legal wrongdoing, but claims Paterno did NOT fulfill his "moral responsibility."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

AntiSocialForum.com

Joe Paterno will end up resigning in disgrace before Saturday's game. Guaranteed!

SteveJ

Some of these PR guys "overthink." And Paterno is stuck with the statement because he signed off on it. This statement has some problems.

It is not a coaches place to tell the Board of Trustees how to spend their time.

And the phrase "with the benefit of hindsight" should not have been included. Because of that phrase, he is not actually apologizing or admitting a mistake.

He is stating that as he could not have had hindsight at the time, he did the right and proper thing at the time.

He didn't need any hindsight. That is why there is a problem.

Just state "I should have done more" and leave it at that.

greg

whats up with these old men and little boys what is this world comming too. joe paterno never witness any of this. i respect that man because different people would of reacted differently if they heard some thing like that.

Joey

PSU (PEDOPHILE STATE UNIVERSITY) SHOULD FIRE THE OLD BA$TARD NOW. HE COVERED UPI A HORRIBLE CRIME, DON'T LET HIM NEAR THE TEAM OR THE FOOTBALL FIELD. HOW MANY LIVES WERE AFFECTED BY HIS AND HIS ASSISTANT COACHES ACTIONS.

cokeandpilates

I don't care who you are, if you have seen or have knowledge of a child being sexually assaulted, you are a real piece of sh*t for not calling the police immediately. In my mind, if you know it's happening and do nothing or see no action being taken, you are just as guilty. How do you sleep at night when you know someone you work with is sexually abusing children?

Cooper

Jerry Sandusky and his wife adopted six children and took in numerous foster children - What the hell? Do you think the Mrs. knew? Damn right she knew - how could she not? EVERYONE should be accountable............

Carol

I bet if it had been Joe Paterno's grandson being molested in a shower, he sure would have gone to the police. He is a disgrace and needs to resign immediately!

jen

joepa thetic..cannot walk on that field again..and the administration MUST be fired with him immediately..this is a NATIONAL DISGRACE..it is a disgrace that educated college students held a PEP RALLY to support him.

Veritatis Amans

Every adult who did not follow up to the best of their ability should be held accountable and subject to the appropriate authorities/investigations.

When someone reports the molestation of a child they are not stopping it from happening; they are stopping it from happening AGAIN.

If the negligent behavior on the part of any of the adults anywhere in the Penn State food chain allowed Sandusky the freedom to molest other children - how do you get past that and say, "Oh we'll let them serve out their remaining season/tenure as Coach, trustee..."

It's truly obscene how this is unfolding and that Paterno and Spanier and others think spinning it now with "We wish we had done more..." How stupid do they think people are? And for Paterno to rally a group of college kids with "We are...Penn State" after addressing reports, is vile. Someone tells you they witnessed the rape of a child - how do you not immediately take action? Did they first have to strategize how best to minimize the impact of the scandal on the Penn State Football program???

When did children become disposable? The hubris on the part of these adults is STUNNING. What if this was your kid? Would you be stunned that all these men knew about it and yet did nothing (or nothing to follow up to make sure action was taken)? What if you were the parent of the kid who got molested AFTER someone else witnessed it happening to another child?

It's as if an actuary told officials at Penn State, keep this covered up and earn $$$ through football until it is inevitably exposed? Even with lawsuits you'll come out ahead...

Predatory sexual abuse is not someone else's problem. It's everyone's problem.

texas

Read the Grand Jury report and if you don't think Paterno should be FIRED immediately, there is something wrong with you!

renae

I really can't believe how many people are blaming Joe Paterno solely for a systematic breakdown/cover up. The rules of reporting should be changed because he seems to have been following the chain of command. Who knows what the higher ups( and yes there are people higher up at Penn state than Joe P even though it seems as if some have forgotten this) told him about the situation. They could have led him to believe that the situation was handled, who knows?

This situation has passed through a lot of hands but Paterno's role seems to be the one being put on blast, not the 3 men all Being indicted which is wierd. And if Joe Paterno did march to the police with info, it was going to be hearsay because he didn't see it for himself and the young boy was NEVER identified! So I'm not even sure what the police would have done. Oh BTW the police did investigate ANOTHER claim and the DA decided NOT to pursue charges against Sandusky. Everyone involved, including the coach who saw it happening ( I don't give a damn if his family and Sandusky's family were close) should have their head on a platter, not just Joe. And put ALL the blame on the sick Sandusky, he raped those boys.

texas

Read the Grand Jury report before supporting Paterno. they all should be fired and thrown in jail.

Julie

You people are so ignorant. Instead of believing everything the media says- read the actual grand jury report!! You will see that it does NOT say that Paterno was told exactly what happened. He was told in a round about way that may not have seemed as serious of an issue. Until we know exactly what he knew, which I am sure will come out in the trial, you are all passing judgement on an issue based on media instead of facts. If he knew, he should be punished without a doubt, but get your facts straight! You should be focusing more on Sandusky and McQueary who both are in the wrong!

Patrick O’Malley

When confronted with the major choices like this that define our lives, there are two types of people:

1) those that think that the 10 yr old boy being anally raped in the shower deserves

- all of our help
- all of our heroism
- in any way we can give it to him
- with all of our power
- regardless of our other priorities
- and regardless of what is legally required

2) Catholics

jen

how can "the game" go on. are the players taking showers where young boys where sodomized.the administration, jp, the cops and the board of trustees ALL KNEW and kept the cover going...get rid of them all..immediately, cancel the rest of the season, it is a disgrace all in the name of football for gods sake???? this is sickening...