Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

FreakHater

Well I guess not too many marriages make it in Hollywood, it's sad to these two Divorce, cute couple, but cute doesn't make a marriage.

Fuck Celebrities

He's a pompous unfunny ****.

What did everyone expect?

Toilethead

I guess it's time for someone else to get to know the twins.

Claire

Russell is not only filthy, he is a filthy liar. Katy, consider yourself lucky.

EatMe

This was to be expected. Russel Brand is a filthy slut and will always be a filthy slut. In Katy perry, he finally found someone he wanted to **** more than once or twice, and married her to have a steady, raunchy go at her. He f**ked her until he got his fill and is moving on to the next toy in his life. He is one of the biggest POS

The Love Sponge

This is going to kill his career,I hope.

bittybaby

aww sorry to hear, I don't much care about the status of celebrity couples but I did like these two together. Best wishes to them as they move forward with their lives.

Angelanc

If they got married in India is it recognized here in the US?

i keeps it real

WOW. People in the UK cant stand him. Go to the Sun or Daily Mirror site. They have been saying for years he is an un-talented climber who was known as a drunk and druggie and used a popped princess for an image make-over. I totally believe it. He meet her when he hosted the MTV movie awards when people were scratching their heads trying to figure out who the hell he was. Now, he has movies commercials. User. Loser.

JBaer

Why can't celebrity couples get premarital counseling? Then we wouldn't be bombarded with stories like this every week. (banging head on keyboard)

Hank

She's a lucky woman this guy is a loser!! Not even sure what his talent is cuz he sure ain't funny. Be glad to be rid of the freak!!!!!!!!!!!!

karlew

She woke up one morning, looked over and though WTF did I do?

boo boo

Guess they didn't get the memo: most married couple*****e each other much of the time. Quitters.

Ashley

I think we all saw this coming... except TMZ.

Donald Ross

no suprise, they are idiots just like all those Hollywood celebrities