Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

linda

SHE IS BETTER OFF WITHOUT HIM. HE IS W E I R D !!!!!!

Deesker

I'll bet his pillow cases are always covered in the grease he puts in his hair. He's disgusting to look at.

SuperM

I once heard Brand say in an interview that Katy Perry is a "Bully". Maybe he finally just got tired of being pushed around. Since he was the one that filed, she probably pushed the diva envelope just one time too many.

Happy

Good, she can do much better and he s so gross. Hope she signed a prenup. She made all the money anyway. He probably married her while she was at the top her game for the publicity anyway.

Skar

Typical celeb marriage, they never seem to last very long.

monique

She's too much a party girl. He really wants kids and to live "low key." It's nice that he said he'd like to remain friends and that he will always adore her. I think he's super intelligent and handsome. I'm sure he'll find someone else. I just hope he stays "clean" and doesn't let the divorce get him down.

Z

Russel is in recovery and always on the phone when he's photographed. With Katy, no, HIS SPONSOR. Her lifestyle isnt okay with AA or NA. He's a lush for the program even citing quotes from their Big Book in interviews. Weirdest and religious cult that won't admit their brainwashing. Supreme Court says their a religion!! Im glad Katy doesnt have to put up with a serenity prayer anymore! Truly sad how a cult continually breaks relationships, families and lives apart. Do the research, AA & NA kills as much as it saves, but they won't publish that right? They just say keep coming back keep coming back. No "spiritual awakening" and classes of "rigorous honesty" will save anyone. I welcome anyone to quote the Big Book. Thats all "addicts" have to use. ANY PROGRAM/CLASS/PERSON/"HIGHER POWER" that asks you to relinquish your right of free will....you might as well be dead

ihateskanks

LOL

LIsa

I can't imagine anyone would want to marry him after reading his "Bookie Wook." Too bad she probably didn't read it before she said " I do."

KenzieQ

TMZ looks stupid. Katy was not blindsided, she knows what's up. You have lost your touch Harvey, or maybe people are feeding you (& Perez Hilton) bad info on purpose. heh. karma.

Regina garcia

Katy Perry is to HOT for him anyways.....Santa Barbara girl needs to be with a Santa Barbara Boy.......Katy Your Hot!!!! from SB girl too!!

jon

Who honestly ******* cares? You people that follow this kind of **** are pathetic.

ms julie malone

very sad ?

steve Walsh

thank goodness no kids. two self absorbed "artists" is enough.

vikki walterson

aw no :( they would have had, the most adorable babies. they were awesome together :(