Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

Bianca

Glad you took my advice, Russell. ;)
Also glad they didn't procreate!

Dan

What the hell!!! :(
That sucks. They seemed real and happy together.

RonBurgundy

So in other words, pay no attention the post 3 hours ago?

Hey TMZ. the sky is falling.... Better post it!

Russel Brand is obnoxious and lacks talent. Katy is better off.

jdub

How funny that 3 hours ago it was "reported" they have no plans for divorce now this is reported. LOL

Brigit Hernandez

They were a odd match but it worked.its sad to see them go thier seperate ways :(.

xnorm_

Ha, finally. They weren't right for each other and we all know this.
I love Russell Brand's work. <3 I also love Katy Perry's music. <3

But neither one of them were right for each other. It's like "Get Him to the Greek" all over again.

Criss

Who didn't see this coming? Although I am a bit surprised that he's the one who did the filing.

Sal Governale

Wow, I'm shocked this one didn't last. I mean, you have a totally insane (former) drug addict and a chick who has made a career out of shooting stuff out of her t*ts. What could have possible gone wrong?

ShellyBoo

Russell strikes me as being gay anyways. Just sayin'

Ash

LOL @ your sources TMZ.

Grapost

Wow like nobody could predict this. She has a career and he doesn't. He got tired of being a lap dog and being referred to as Mr. Perry. Only the 1,000 time this has happened in show business.

Amy

WHAT A JERK!!! Right at the holidays to just drop it on her like that...arsehole! My ex did the same thing to me two years ago - its a kick in the gut. But you are so much better than him Katy! She's hot and he's cold :(

andre`

Its sad.. I really think people in hollywood and people in general need to say when they stand at the altar, not till death do us part, or til the two years is up. NO ONE stay married now.... Thats why I dont understand why people confess they so in love, but get divorce so fast and dont work things out like the older generation did. Marriage is just a waste of time and money...

idiots

She's been partying HARD around LA for some time now, not a good sign things are working out with you and your recovering addict so.

RW

Wait, syntax here. Do you BRAND states ID?