Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

Isabella

Check out the photos of Sarah Silverman with Brand on this site:

Betcha she's been workin overtime after him.

Isabella

Listen to what he says to Sarah Silverman during her introduction on his radio show in 2008: http://thefunniestvideos.com/2011/12/03/sarah-silverman-on-the-russell-brand-radio-show/

Two weeks after an event with her in Hollywood, he files for divorce?

tuttt

So sad, I really thought they were going to last. I love them as a couple, though, I wish the best to both of them.

Chuckie

This so proves that the sanctity of marriage belongs only between a man and a woman. Why would the gays want any part of this s***?

uhhuhher

who's shocked?

chachaheels

That Episode aired on 12/2 was probably taped from late Oct to early Nov.

ValVal

The divorce trend continues...

Ebelleboo2

I don't know why Katie married this nut in the first place. I saw him on Live with Kelly - as a guest co-host and he seemed higher than a kite. He's always "on". I had to change the channel for goodness sakes!

Jeffrey

Hires an attorney that has errors on the forms they prepare. Either they have some very bad attornies in LA or he should have looked around a bit more before hiring.

Kerrie

look u idiots it says october 23RD NOT OCTOBER 32!!! You read it properly geez!!

Kerrie

they kinda seemed like a good couple.. Oh well..

Vallery

Sounds just Good, i've never saw'em as a great couple! I mean they dont fit together at all !

stevem

He is a pig. He looks dirty, he is dirty and she screwed up when she married that idiot.

DP

He looks evil

AdmiralEO

Did anyone else notice in the do***ent that Russell Brand is also suing Katy Perry? So much for an amicable split.