Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

Nadine

Unless TMZ changed the mistake, i dont see anywhere that it says they were married on October 32nd. It says October 23. And it's too bad that this is true. Love them both.

TJ

Oh,poor rich people!! We now have produced the most selfish generation in history.Everyone is totally self absorbed.Too selfish to compromise in marriage.Too bad~next?

jan

I always thought he was gay. Still do.

Ramona

"Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."
I guess he's dying then?

sparced

Pretty hilarious that there is one article saying they have pretty good sources saying they aren't getting divorced.

A few hours later, there are now court filings saying the complete opposite.

TMZ Fails Yet Again!

Francine

Sorry to hear...seemed like an appropriate match..luv the english man. !!!

mddiva35

TMZ is losing more and more 'credibility' everyday. You guys are almost on the same level as Media 'Fake' Out and National Inquirer. You guys can't get your stories straight. Celebrities publicists are feeding you all BS and you calling it fact. It isn't until something has to be made legit like filing divorce do***ents for you all to get the stories right.

chris

I cant stand hollywood relationships considering its always one big ****in cliche. If i was famous, no way in hell would i look for someone else thats famous. **** that ****, id be with some chick that has never been heard of and waitress's in a small town.

big bamboo

she is single (and cute)he is a typical panzie...I am all in have 11 inches for her

Janet

So sad, they looked so happy together. I guess being apart so often for work mush have played a part. I have been married to a great man for 30 years. Some of those years were harder than others but we were together thru all of them. I think if either of us were away from home for any amount of time things might not have worked out so well.

the sea

She probably cheated on him.

Ghost Rider

To bad, so sad. Im sure Katy wont have a problem meeting someone else in the New Year.

Miz Val

Ok who had Dec 31 in the office pool at TMZ? These two had no business getting married.Katy he was a drive by at best and you should have kept him that way.Brand is full of crap with the "always be friends" routine you should have been friends before and while you were married. Katy be glad 2011 is over,. Move on!

flamoon

You two need to remember what brought you together.
Russel is angry with Katy to be the one to file.
You need to call him Katy and work this out.
Don't let him be THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY.

Jleigh

OMG GOOD!!!!! She is going to have so much fun being single and hot!