Mel Gibson DUI Jail Video

Triggers Legal Dogfight

1/18/2012 1:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson and Deputy James Mee
A videotape of a raging and drunk  Mel Gibson in a jail cell immediately after he was arrested in 2006 for DUI has become a huge bone of contention in a lawsuit filed by the arresting deputy.

L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee is suing his department, claiming he's the victim of religious discrimination. Mee, who is Jewish, claims he has been targeted by his superiors because of his faith.

Mee wants the jury to see a videotape of Mel Gibson in the holding cell.  When TMZ broke the story about Mel's anti-Semitic rant, we referenced the video, which shows an out-of-control Mel handcuffed behind bars, complaining he had to urinate and then -- according to sources -- appearing to make an attempt to pee on the cell floor.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... the video shows Mel running around the cell and at one point even trying to scale the bars like a monkey.  And when he attempted to use the phone, but couldn't get a dial tone, we're told he threw the receiver against the phone.

The County of L.A. -- the defendant -- has filed legal docs trying to block the admission of the video, arguing that it's irrelevant to Mee's religious discrimination claim and would only be used to "embarrass Mr. Gibson."

The County also believes the video would inflame the jury, because Mel is "a controversial public figure." And the County claims ... showing the video would violate Mel's right of privacy.

The judge hasn't decided whether the video is fair game.

Mel's rep declined comment.

THE BEAVER

Ira Black: 40 minutes ago

78. Al the Magnificent:

And out come the freaks...
~~
Well hell-o , how do you do, now just what is the issue you have there Dude , you in a bad mood . And what is it about you that makes you so Magnficent other than saying you are will you please tell us yes you .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL

He thinks he is so damn Magnificent is because he finally found out how to find his azz with both hands.

rainbowdancer

@Ira Black. You obviously believe everything you read, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. You would be hardpressed to find any Boer who identifies with anything British and even less with anything Jewish. During the second world war the nation was split in two as the pro-British government sent Boer troops to fight against Germany. Germany had huge local SA support, especially in South West Africa or Namibia as it is known today. (See the rise of the Ossewa Brandwag)Under British colonial rule, South Africa voted in favour of the establishment of a Jewish homeland, but by the very next election, the Nationalist government came to power and support for Israel and Britain became minimal. Although some of what you have have quoted may have some semblance of truth, the Boers may see themselves as a nation persecuted like Israelites in the midst of non-believers, but they do not see themselves as Israelites at all.

rainbowdancer

Oh and as a post script...Most Boers see themselves as part of one great Rainbow Nation today and are working hard at reconciliation.

andie

Mel...Sorry you might have to endure this all over again!I hope the tape stays where it is!

Cujeaux

Sounds like the sheriff's department benefitted from 'The Passion' profits as well. This is another example of why they shouldn't be allowed to cold call people's homes looking for donations for their 'associations' or give out those stupid merit badges. It breeds abuse and makes them feel obligated when a bonehead like Giblitz calls in a favor. now they've opened the county up to a major lawsuit.

There was no reason to force a revision of the original report or erase the videotape of Giblitz's violent behavior in his cell. They thought they could force Mee out by targeting him as the leak but couldn't prove it, which only made it worse. All of this negatively impacted his career regardless of any religious discrimination that took place. All over a rich drunk who thinks he can buy government officials and brag about it. I don't blame Mee for filing a lawsuit - which was initiated a while ago. It's nothing new. Who gives a rats ass if a violent drunk gets his jail cell tape exposed?
Too F'ing bad.

rainbowdancer

@Ira Black. You may know some Boers but I am a Boer. I am descended from Russian and Polish Jews on my moms maternal side and Boers and French on her paternal side. My fathers family are Welsh and French descendants. I have lived most of my life in Africa and know and love all its people well. My maternal grandmother was 6 years of age when she saw her baby brothers body carted off in a soapbox after dying from starvation in a British concentration camp. My Jewish grandfathers sympathised with the Boers and were incarcerated on St. Helena island during the 1914 rebellion against the British. They saw themselves as Boers and not the other way round as do most of my family today. We all believe in the New South Africa and yes definitely as a part of the Rainbow Nation. If you really want to know more about the Boers I would suggest reading "The Afrikaners" by Hermann Giliomee. Perhaps then your comments would be accurate. Enjoy the rest of your day.

rainbowdancer

Well, you go on spreading the hate and I will do the opposite. There is a large amount of good and goodwill in South Africa for those who choose to see it. There will always be those like yourself who only see the negative and wish to create division, but good will prevail. I am very aware of the Boer Genocide, but you also forget to mention all the other people of different races who are dying there. People are people and victims are victims. Perhaps Africa will be best served by it's prayer:Nkosi Sikelele i Afrika" God Bless Africa.

Polentical

Whenever Gibson comes back into the news, I think of how we all should have known what he was like, before it spilled out into the public. Mel Gibson - 5 Reasons We Should Have Known

IA

Lilian Cristina Pires: 10 hours ago
Porque não deixam Mel Gibson em paz. Já passou. Isso aconteceu há 6 anos, porque ficarem falando, falando, lembrando. Todos tem seu dia negro. Mel teve o dele. Acabou. Como todo judeu esse senhor quer vingança sobre Mel. PAREM!!!! Até quem está de fora fica cansado dessa repetição. TREGUA PARA MEL GIBSON!!!!!!!!
________________

Oi Lilian,

Concordo plenamente. Porque nao o deixam em paz? Te digo o porque: tanto a ideologia quanto a religiao dele vai de encontro a elite de Hollywood e da midia. Alem disso aquela velha e famosa inveja...

IA

Polentical drowning in hate:

What? With the bazillion movies that MG acted on you could only come up with a meager 5 where a woman was killed, leading to revenge of the partner? Well, given how that's such a popular theme for movies, that's pretty meager and, shall I say, pathetic attempt on vilifying the man.

Why don't you go watch "The man without a face" ?
Here's a movie with no violence (at least physical), no sex, no murders, no chases, none of the typical "sellers" catchy stuff, yet a wonderful movie. This was his first directing job too. Go watch it and see what injustice such judgmental hatred like yours can do.

rainbowdancer

There is none as blind as those who won't see. To suggest that I am a communist and support the genocide of my own people is absurd.Your arguments are not rational or truthful. It would be most appreciated if you would not speak on behalf of a people you do not know or represent. I am sure most here are now bored with this discourse and I for one will not continue with it so keep on arguing with yourself as I am sure you make perfect sence to you!

Firefly

Polentical,

Are you insane? Those were movies that Mel played a part in, it was not real life. So according to you if a guy kills someone in a movie he is more likely to kill in real life. Or if a woman plays a ho in a movie than she must be one in real life. If that is all you got to bring to the table then you should be ashamed of yourself for using examples of part playing as your evidence. No soup for you! NEXT!

Cat

Azlee,and any others from former MG/OG posting, I found a Russian article interviewing Ludmilla and in the article it tells that in 1997, OG was 33, here the link and use the translater, interesting article. www.kp.ru/daily/23179/25425

THE BEAVER

rainbowdancer: 10 hours ago

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know it is sad to be lonely 6 and have to see such a thing as that. Very sad to see, I am sure. When I watch the tv and they talk about starving children, or abused straving animals, my heart breaks. I can't even stannd hearing someone got shot, raped, beat up, died in a fire,or mistrested in a nursing home of all things.

THE BEAVER

Only not lonely..lol.. sorry I think my mind left me and went on a life time vacation.