Struggling Soap Actor

Commits Suicide After

Euthanizing Beloved Dog

1/28/2012 5:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nick Santino and his beloved dog
A soap actor killed himself this week on his 47th birthday ... hours after he was forced to put his beloved dog to sleep under pressure from his Manhattan condo.

According to the NY Post the building had a ban on pit-bulls, but Nick Santino's dog had been grandfathered in ... which didn't sit well with some of the neighbors. Some claimed the dog was loud and aggressive, but others said building management was just harassing Santino ... trying to force him to get rid of the dog.

Santino had Rocco put to sleep on Tuesday -- for some reason he felt that was his only option.

According to the paper, a tearful Santino brought dog treats to the doorman and said, "Give these to the other dogs. Rocco is no more."

Later that day Santino left a suicide note that read, "Today I betrayed my best friend and put down my best friend ... Rocco trusted me and I failed him. He didn't deserve this."

Santino -- who has appeared on "All My Children" and "The Guiding Light" -- OD'd on pills early the next morning.

Rocco was cremated and friends told the Post Santino will be too.

Shataqua

I so agree April A. I have a brendal pit bull an to no that I would have to give him up...my kids would be devastated...I only will have a pit bull just to prove ppl wrong... an how stupid they r...

Virtual Insanity

I feel bad for him. However, he must have had depression issues already. He could have re-homed Rocco. He could have found alternate housing so they could stay together. As tough as either would have been, neither would be dead now. This story is extremely sad, but its not the whole story. That said, rest in peace Rocco and Nick.

April Anderson

Bubbles The Chimp, Just shut your stupid mouth up! U most likely have no clue of what it is like to love something so much u would give your life for it & most likely WON'T EVER feel that way.

lee

Seriously, you are conducting a survey on this? Obviously this man had some serious psychological problems. It's sad that this wasn't recognized and he didn't receive the help he needed before he killed himself. I can't imagine a reputable vet putting a healthy, non-aggressive dog to sleep. If there wasn't anything wrong with the animal, the vet should be investigated. Please stop trivializing serious situations by these silly juvenile surveys.

kristine

on pitbulls

i think what a lot of you fail to realize is DON'T STARE AT THE DOG!!!!!!

i think that's what's going on here. i am a dog afficianado and pitbulls are great.
i'm forced to wonder how many stared down the dogs before getting attacked by one.

wanna talk about mean dogs?
toy poodles, and chows!

Susan

Of course there were other things going on in his life that led to this tragic moment. He was probably feeling lonely (no wife) and had lost all meaning in his life (the small acting roles probably didn't add up to much). The euthanizing of the dog was the last straw that this poor man could take. When men suffer from depression they tend to bottle it up and not show their emotions. Then they start developing irrational thoughts and extreme guilt. If you know anyone suffering from depression please find them help right away. Prescription pills can actually make suffering patients more suicidal. The best thing is counseling and therapy.

My heart goes out to his family and friends for their loss. He was a good looking, smart and talented guy, he had a lot to live for.

MP

This story is sad.. He should have just moved. Oh and BTW PITS ARE NOT MORE AGGRESSIVE THAN OTHER BREEDS. Any breed of dog can be dangerous, it all depends on how they are raised. It is even sadder that there are IGNORANT people in the world who cant see this.

Debra

i dont get this story at all. If he was grandfathered in then i believe they couldnt make him get rid of his dog,but more important,"his best friend" WTH. YOu move or you fight for your rights. YOU dont kill the poor dog!!!!Sorry no sympathy for this guy and the dogs pic is great. Breaks my heart for all involved. And he was right"the dog didnt deserve it"

MsRita

WHO WILL BYE A CONDO IN THAT PLACE WHERE PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT BS JUST BECAUSE ITS IN THE RULE. STOP BUYING CONDO'S ITS NOT FAIR FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT FREEDOM. SAVE A HOUSE AND BUY A CONDO AND LIVE UNDER RULES AND PAY CONDO FEE'S. THEN THE BOARD DECIDES TO RE-DO THE EXTIRER OF THE BUILDING. YOU MUST AND 75 FOR THE NEXT YEAR SO WE CAN START THAT PROJECT.

I HOPE THE TENENTS LIKE SEEING HIS BODY TAKING OUT OF THE BUILDING DEAD. HOW ABOUT MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS YOU LIVE IN APARTMENT CALLED A HOUSE. TOO CLOSE TO EACH OTHER. WALLS CONNECTION. SELL YOU CONDO YOU MUST LET PEOPLE KNOW SOMEONE COMMITED SUICIDE. BECAUSE WE ARE BITCHES WHO HAVE BEEN HER LONGER MOST OF YOU ARE ON THE BOARD.

sueb

In some states including CA and MT a vet must do what the owner requests when putting down an animal. My girlfriend was a vet in CA and decided not to stay there because of this. He made his choices, We live in America, the land of the Free......no one forced him to do what he did. Obviously there were other issues in his life. My prayers go out to his family and friends, suicide is not the answer EVER!!

frankie

this breaks my heart ......rip

joanne munding

why didnt he just move?

bob

I hope the rest of the building goes bankrupt, and the other co-owners get forced onto the streets. Yet another reason to avoid New York City like the plague.

Meichele

I would like to say he could have just moved, but he may not have had a job at the time and couldn't afford to move. Being down on your luck and depressed and being bullied it takes it's toll on you. You don't think straight, or think it all the way through. I was at rock bottom after 9/11 were I couldn't find work, had rent to pay, a child to feed and cloth, and pressure from the apartment complex that they were going to evict us. I can't even begin to tell you the thoughts going through my head... But in the end I called mommy and daddy for help, so I'm still here and so is my son. The management of the condos should have calmed the fears of the neighbors and insisted that the dog was not an issue. He had lived there for a few years without incident. I think the family of Nick should sue. We teach our children not to bully and will not condone it in our schools but yet we do it as adults... something is not right with that. Ok had to put in my 2 cents. I'm done. I feel horrible that he had to go through this but he is at peace and reunited with his best friend, I'm hoping that was what was going through his mind when he swallowed those pills.

MexMen