Soap Actor's Suicide

Condo Board Member

Accepts NO Responsibility

1/29/2012 6:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0128_nick_Reg_02
A member of the condo board that Nick Santino said pressured him to euthanize his pit-bull -- a decision that drove him to suicide -- says the condo board is NOT responsible for his death.

Board member Marilyn Fireman says she is sorry that Santino is dead, but says it has nothing to do with the building's no-pet policy. She tells the NY Post, "You just assumed that [his suicide] was a result of a board’s decision."

Fireman did concede Santino routinely complained about the building’s anti-dog policies.

Santino's sister tells the paper the family is holding off on funeral arrangements until the dead dog's ashes are brought home ... saying, "They'll be buried together."

Santino had his beloved and healthy pit-bull Rocco put to sleep on Tuesday, Santino's 47th birthday. A few hours later, he overdosed on pills.

Srwhit75

Let's be realistic. He had to have other issues. The rules apparently stated he could not have a dog. He could have found a good home for the dog. Instead he had it put down and then committed suicide. That is tragic. At the same time it is irresponsible to blame the condo home owners association.

bob reed

Give it a rest. I love my dog as well, but Santino had a serious mental problem if he offed himself because he had to put the dog down. Would it not have been a better choice just to move ? Sad he wasn't getting needed help.

KATHY

A stupid,thoughtless rich bitch is what Marilyn is,I hope the family sues the place and I hope the tenents there have many sleepless nights. SHAMEFUL.

DTM

No pet policy had nothing to do with his death, except that the suicide note directly blamed his suicide because he betrayed his friend. Do I believe that is the only reason he killed himself, no, but I'm sure it contributed. The part that pisses me off is there are plenty of pit bull sanctuaries that would have taken the dog...

pattycake

BOYCOTT>>PAY A VISIT!! as swipes

Deweycheatemandhow

I am a lawyer who became one to help underdogs, human and animal. I teach animal law seminars on Long Island to the public, at Touro Law School, to rescue groups and more. Between animal law cases, like no pets clause cases, and my private animal law work (incl shining a light on issues to get the public and legislatures to enact laws, vote, etc.), I have seen, read of, and heard of many situations like this. I also have worked on, and continue to work on, cases like this where, although they did not result in this ending, created extensive emotional distress for the pet's' owners, even where the pet was an "easy-adopt" (alas, Pits and Pit Mixes, not just because of high supply and low demand but due to weeding out the wrong adoptees). In many cases, the person got very sick, even hospitalized, because of the no pets rule situation or because the place violated the Americans With Disabilities Act and refused entry with a LICENSED as a Service Animal dog and a disabled client that, in their words "doesn't look disabled and not blind or anything". In fact, I have a case like that right now and now the poor disabled woman, who even trains trainers pro bono for the "Puppies Behind Bars" program, although she used to be uncomfortable at the possibility of being on-camera until we worked on this case, is screwed because they filed for bankruptcy.
However, no one has gone this far as to commit suicide. If anyone needs help with animal issues, get the right help-a animal law attorney, psych, vet, rescue group-there is a lot more help out there than you realize. Just spend a little Google time. Moreover, BTW, NYC has "better" rules on pets in places with a no-pets policy, and Service Animals, than "over the border" (NYC's largest shelter is near the Queens/LI border) on Long Island and in the rest of NY and other states, and I have been even more pleased when the cases come in from NYC and hold them up as an example for other jurisdictions. So many of us c/h helped him-friends, family, care providers, rescue groups and yes, animal law attorneys. We were all just a phone call away.

Conny

Who would be idiotic and heartless enough to euthanize a healthy dog because the condo board demands it? I'd gladly move out WITH my dog if I found out I couldn't live there with him anymore. He obviously had some mental issues already that were only triggered by this event and sent him over the edge. This is not normal.

kim

HE COULD'VE MOVED... MY CAT is MORE IMPORTANT... I FEEL BAD BUT WAS THERE NOT PAPERS STATING NO DOGS??? THAT'S WAY THOSE RULES ARE IN PLACE.. ANY WAYS SOOO SORRY HE FELT THAT WAS IT FOR HIM SOOO SORRY FOR HIS FRIENDS, FAMILY AND FANS ECT... RIP... " NICK SANTINO "

kim

MARILYN DIDN'T KILL HIS DOG or HIM... HE DID... JUST IMAGINE IF SHE SAID HIS LOVED ONE COULDN'T LIVE WITH HIM.... I SHUTTER TO THINK... WOULD HE HAVE KILLED THEM TOO??? IF I COULDN'T HAVE MY CAT--- I WOULDN'T HAVE HIM PUT TO SLEEP... NO WAY THAT'S SELFISH AND ALSO LIKE SAYING "IF I CAN'T HAVE" "HIM NO ONE CAN..." YOU PEOPLE ARE RIDICULOUS... POOR MARILYN, SHES SIMPLY SAYING IT'S NOT HER FAULT THAT HE KILLED HIMSELF... AND IT'S N O T ...

Bill

The big mistake Santino made was not killing the board members FIRST!

Maria

I don't get it. Why didn't he move to a pet-friendly condo ?

KathyK

The condo board and all of the tenants who complained about Rocco are to blame for both deaths. I really don't know how they can live with themselves, the guilt they must feel.
This is tragic, why would people be so mean and try to control these two lives while they should have been minding their own business. Rocco was grandfathered in and if the tenants didn't like it, they should have moved. "Bullying" someone to this extent, to put their beloved pet down, and then to commit suicide, it saddens me that people are so mean and don't care about anyone but themselves. I will never live in a place like this condo complex and I hope people are warned about the condo board before they move in there. Who knows? One day they may not like your children (many pets are peoples children too), then what?

Carolyn

She tells the NY Post, "You just assumed that [his suicide] was a result of a board’s decision." And you Ms Fireman are ASSUMING it wasn't because of the boards decision

Sherri

condo board and neighbor that lied about the dog barking should rot in hell. Karma will be swift for these heartless souls. Hopefully these individuals will be harrassed endlessly as they did to this pop man. Monsters!!!

Sher

Why move to some place that has a no dog policy when you have a dog? MOVE! This guy had other issues. Very sad for him his family and his dog.